Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 07:55PM

I am getting closer to resigning, but want to make sure this website is legit. Has anyone used it to resign?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 07:56PM

for some reason, my message was flagged using the actual website name.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 08:09PM

I believe it is very legitimate, but as I understand it, TSCC tries to add an additional requirement if you use Quit Mormon vs. just resigning yourself.

Hopefully, somebody here can give you some information.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: January 15, 2021 08:29PM

It is legit, but you have to use a notary which may cost you extra $$$. The church put up that extra hurdle because so many were using it.

You can still avoid the local minions by resigning directly via email to Member Records.

https://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 12:24AM

I agree with decultified. The site is legitimate and many have used it. You will need the notary. But it is probably easier to resign via email or snail mail.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 01:14AM

It's a completely unnecessary website. There's nothing they do that you can't do yourself. Plus if you do it yourself you don't need a notary stamp.

My take on it is that they may have a genuine desire to help the terrified/nervous/intimidated, but they also know that for some percentage of the people they help, when the time comes that they need other legal services, the people will not know any other law firm, and they will call those nice people at that QM place. It's a form of marketing. Nothing illegal or unethical about that. You should just be aware of that. You will be giving them personal information.

It's like those online petitions - you get to register your outrage or support about something, and they get your email address. That's a trade I am almost never willing to make.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 01:41AM

100% correct. https://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm works just fine.

Posted by: scotchipman ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 01:17AM

I did it on my own in 2014 before Quite Mormon was around, if I was doing it now I would for sure use them. Simple and you know it will get done correctly.

Date: January 16, 2021 09:07AM

A couple of weeks ago, I created a thread here to ask if anyone knew if the email address msr-confrec@ldschurch.org still worked for submitting resignations. Nobody who responded was aware of a newer address, so I used that address to submit my resignation earlier this week. I haven't received any response, but at least the email didn't bounce back with an "invalid email" message.

Date: January 16, 2021 03:05PM

Thanks for the report, CrispingPin. Let us know when you hear back from them.

Date: January 16, 2021 05:13PM

Will do.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 03:16PM

Until lately I haven't found it necessary for me. Now I want to make it official, although I dislike paperwork and also the idea of contacting them at all, jumping through their hoops.

Looking at the exit instructions in the link above, I am out of luck. I have no clue of the date of my baptism or my membership #. Not sure if I ever received one.

So I'm back to my default position of just going about my business as a non-mo. Unless somehow it's very, very easy to exit officially one day.

Date: January 16, 2021 04:50PM

Nightingale, I would just provide them with whatever information you have -- maybe the approximate date of your baptism, the ward where you were baptized, and whatever else you can remember. I know that several people were able to successfully resign this way.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 07:29PM

Oh thanks summer. I'll try that. But I hesitate to stir the sleeping bear.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 08:12PM

You should still be OK. Your name, birthdate, if you know your current ward name, or city of residence ought to suffice. The bishop will likely attempt contact simply to confirm it's really you. If that happens, just say yes and *tell* him to finish processing the paperwork. (Remember, you're not *requesting* it; he's required by law to do it.)

You're legally out the moment they receive the email. By the time the bishop gets back to you, he has no say in the matter. If you can, I'd recommend activating Return Receipt on the email to provide give you the "paper trail" in case you need it later.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 11:45AM

Nightingale, I resigned with a letter to member records. Aside from my contact information, the only information about me that I gave them was my maiden name, birthdate and the city I was baptized in. I didn't know in what year I was baptized as a child, but I figured they'd be able to find my records without that info.

It was a slow process, and took several months before it was completed, but I figured that I was out once they got my letter so I didn't worry about that. I did receive a call from the local Branch President. It was kind of uncomfortable, more so for him than me I think! He seemed unsure about what to ask me, and stumbled over the questions he did ask. However, it was a relatively short lived call and wasn't too bad.

Go ahead, poke that sleeping bear! ;-)

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 11:52PM

You don't have to go to a business's website to access their services; you can call them like any other [lawyer's] office, write them a letter, email them, or knock on their door, perhaps, to avail your concerns.

The firm is more "legit" than the 'church' you reference, if that's what you're asking.

If you want to find a way out of TMC, you will. MILLIONS have. It's what's right.

Date: January 17, 2021 12:30AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2021 12:32AM by moremany.

Date: January 17, 2021 12:35AM

GETTING OUT OF MORMONISM What It Hasn't Gotten Out Of You

Some think you need a bunch of info: dates, numbers, etc., and it may help or be true for some but, for me, just the name (I think: may have guessed an approximate baptism date, just after 8) [they could figure it out].

A month and a week later a bishop called me (I was at a Baptist church attending a one year later ceremony thanking volunteers helping during a tornado one year earlier) and asked if I was really me {yes} and that I really wanted OUT. I found the irony of where I was at the time of the call quite apropos.

Then, a week or two later, recieved a letter saying I'll never be cursed by mormonism again and if I wanted to return to the heat of the fire, I could... and my troubles would return to haunt me for the rest of my mortal life, and death, after life...

There's not much to it.

They KNOW they are in the wrong... they just don't know who they are.

I'm reminded of a movie line - The Naked Civil Servant - "Everything that happens to us in life is our fault, but that's not our fault."

Mail the letter already
Even if you're not ready

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2021 06:22PM by moremany.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 10:36AM

I resigned in 2013 before this website via email. What I love about this webpage is that they count how many people have resigned. The lds church tries to keep their resignation numbers secret. If I had not resigned already I would use that site. Yes it would cost some money to have it notorized but so worth it. It sheds a light on how many people resign.

Date: January 17, 2021 12:16PM

My bank offers notary services for free to its customers. For those who need a notary, check to see if your bank offers this.

Date: January 17, 2021 06:14PM

I read that (as of whenever, 2019?) 55 Notaries have agreed to provide the service for free, saving time and money and hassle.

Date: January 17, 2021 06:09PM

<totally>

Sheds light on a portion of [people who leave TMC- even those who NEVER WANTED TO BE MORMON anyway, forcefully baptized at 8] the 30-40% of people who actually resign, on paper (online included, since 'paper' means "officially"), vs. "inactive", unbelieving, mentally resigned, physically disengaged.

In other words, if 80,000 people have resigned through QM, you can bet there are another 500,000 who resigned through a direct letter, call, or email, their attorney, local bishop/sp, etc. [and we're talking since 2015 (I resigned in 2013) or so], and another few hundreds of thousands who never bothered/ bother... and another few million who are 'mibo' (mormon in body only), through baptism, skeptical, ambivalent, NO, Jack, or simply attend through relationships, etc.

In other words, there are only about 6-7,000,000 LDS who believe, attend, and follow in some way or another, lost or not. If ALL followers knew the truth, individually, but didn't know anyone else knew it, how many of them would do what it takes to get out of TC (the cult)?

In other words, many mormons believe what they are taught, EVEN THOUGH 99% of what they hear and TALK about is untrue, unnecessary and/ or useful.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.