Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 01:03PM

https://religionnews.com/2021/01/12/the-faith-of-the-insurrectionists/?

For insurrectionists, a violent faith brewed from nationalism, conspiracies and Jesus
As insurrectionists began the attack on the Capitol, a banner waved above the throng. It read: 'Proud American Christian.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 02:06PM

This is just Flavor of the Day.

Dark Age Crusaders, Islamic extremists, Bolsheviks, Proletarians, Weathermen, Sturmabteilung - whatever current mask it happens to be wearing. Whatever mask right now is so boring as to be deadening in it's unimaginative uncreative repetitiousness.
What's interesting is not the whatever current random particular mask but the underlying machinery that makes so many "faces" possible.
It's the same Medusa.

Why is that and why is Medusa so seductive.

The one defining characteristic of this creature is Righteousness.
Why, armed with that, I may do all manner of evil and inhumanity.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 01:07AM

Righteousness is actually disempowering to anyone who engages in that kind of thinking. Cults foster that to make you dependent.

With righteousness, you can’t be right unless someone else is wrong. Projecting that wrongfulness is toxic to you and guarantees that you will be just as “wrong” as they are. That’s why LDS have so many weird problems.

The church may have lost its soul, but it has $100B to show for it.

Date: January 16, 2021 08:06PM

We will now sing “Onward Christian Soldiers”.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 08:42PM

But the flavor of today is that they denounce the violence. Apparently the current view point of the mormon hierarchy is that there isn't anything worth fighting for. They are all a bunch of woosies. But as I recall Nelson was against the Iraq war after 911 as well, he's not a patriot, neither is oaks. (Hinkley was publicly for the war though).

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2021/01/15/mgk-top-lds-church-leaders-condemn-violence-and-lawless-behavior-that-occurred-at-u-s-capitol/

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 09:04PM

macaRomney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But the flavor of today is that they denounce the
> violence.

Sort of like Jesus?

---------------
> Apparently the current view point of the
> mormon hierarchy is that there isn't anything
> worth fighting for.

Quite the contrary. They believe the constitution is worth fighting for. You make the mistake of presuming that if people are not on your side, they are cowards. You don't consider that you are the enemy and courage is resisting what you represent. Even the pusillanimous Q15 see you--or rather, the more courageous versions of you; they don't even notice you--for what you are.

----------------
> They are all a bunch of woosies.

Ah yes, the magaRomney logic: I don't like war but when I do, anyone who will not fight for me is a "woosy."

But seriously, what of your intrepid nature? Were you there, magaRomney, in Washington? Did you have the courage to put your freedom where your capacious mouth is or were you a woosy too?

We all know you were a woosy, insufficiently committed to the cause you want others to fight and die for.

---------------------
> But as I recall Nelson was against the
> Iraq war after 911 as well, he's not a patriot,
> neither is oaks.

Your view is that a patriot roots for any American war whether undertaken wisely or not? Well that's a simple rule and stupid. And for that matter inconsistent, for you have on multiple occasions said that Trump was wise to cut back on wars fought for US allies. So what exactly are your principles?

Again, you think that anyone who refuses to overthrow the US constitution is a coward. Well you are the coward. You are the one without principles, without the education of a decent middle-schooler, the one who would prefer to live in a tyranny than a constitutional republic.

------------
You constantly praise the US, American Exceptionalism, etc., but aren't wise enough to realize that what makes for exceptionalism is the institutions of a democratic republic.

The truth is that you don't like democracy or limits on the state. You are the sort of person who in a burst of thoughtless enthusiasm paved the way for Mussolini, for Hitler, for Lenin and Stalin, for Mao. You believe that the goal of politics is to have a Dear Leader who makes the decisions for you.

That's fine. Just move to a country like that and stop polluting the United States with your totalitarian cant.

Date: January 16, 2021 09:24PM

> macaRomney Wrote:
> -----------------------------------------------------
> > They are all a bunch of woosies.

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> We all know you were a woosy,
================================

So this mysterious word, this "woosies" -
- how does one pronounce it?

And what does it mean? Is it like when too much nog with the egg and there is sudden difficulty navigating across the check pattern on the tile floor? And The Bretheren -- they just LOOK woosies, but supposedly don't imbibe?

Think I'll go git me sum woozies

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 09:32PM

"Woosy" is how courageous people like magaRomney pronounce that part of a woman's anatomy that his Dear Leader grabs instead of shaking hands.

Date: January 16, 2021 09:47PM

Good deal, I'm on my third *hic* woosy

Date: January 16, 2021 09:33PM

macaRomney Wrote:
> But the flavor of today is that they denounce the
> violence.
===============================

Aww don't sweat it macaRomney, when you factor in the hypocrisy-as-a-way-of-life they're actually saying they are very much favoring violence! Really into it! Medieval Old Testament stuff! Blood and gore running down the gutters! Indiscriminate Slaughter! Entire villages napalmed! Smell of burnt flesh!

See? There! Isn't that much better?

Date: January 16, 2021 09:35PM

“as I recall Nelson was against the Iraq war after 911 as well”

Oh great. Now I have a reason to like him.

Since you bring it up, the current totalitarian atmosphere in Congress doesn’t bode well for peace. I’m sure Pelosi has a purse that matches jackboots, but without Democrats pushing back, what’s to stop the slide into a totalitarian state that’s basically a vassal state of China?

Are you suggesting armed rebellion as in the popular 2nd Amendment fantasy? Some kind of grass roots resistance? Nobody has resisted having their country sold out from under them up until now, so why would they start?

On the other hand, the owners of US empire aren’t exactly going to roll over like puppies and let China take it without a fight. The military industrial complex does care about THEIR jobs being sent to China.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 16, 2021 10:02PM

This article doesn't mention MORmONism, but what it says is even MORE true of MORmONism. What can be said about Southern Baptists is that they used their "Christianity" to justify slavery and later Jim Crow laws which were still in effect when I was born.
They used the same "curse of Cain" myth to justify enslaving Africans and their descendants, and "Manifest Destiny" which held that white "Christian" settlers had a "divine destiny" which they were bound to "manifest", by "Settling" the land and displacing the Natives who lived here.
But Joseph's Myth went a step further, it canonized those racist myths, used to dehumanize two entire races of people, Africans and Native Americans, to make it seem more 'moral' to enslave and kill your fellow human, completely contradicting Christ's main commandment to love our fellow men as ourselves. Not even the Southern Baptists were so racist they'd put their racist beliefs into a new Bible and call it the "inspired Word of God".
Now, after Mormonism has accepted the fact that Native Americans are not literally descended from wandering Jews, due to the DNA evidence that proves otherwise, perhaps that's just lip service to scientific evidence, due to the fact they still really believe that the Book of Mormon is an ancient history of America, the promised land. No other religion believes the Garden of Eden is in America or that Jesus visited America.
Maybe Mormonism is the most American religion, but it's also the most racist, which might just be one and the same, at least below the Bible Belt and behind the Zion Curtain.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.