Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 04:52PM

I'm an introvert and I do try to get along with my Mormon relatives, but the quantity of them is overwhelming to me.

There are bound to be some nic people among them, but I don't want to get dialed into their habit of constant family communication.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 05:46PM

While LDS sometimes confuse intrusiveness with a showing-they-care display, most are too busy anxiously locked up in their own internal (social pecking-order) anxieties to even notice you exist. The tendency is one of environmental obliviousness. So it's possible to hide in plain sight. (As long as you blend in and don't appear too successful)

The whole thing is built on fear, because anxious people are controllable people.
Sometimes it runs amok:

https://jonabram.web.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/2968/2014/05/Scrupulosity-model-2014.pdf
(There's been studies, somebody even wrote a book on LDS and intrusive worries)

but even here the attempt is to blame a defective individual, as opposed to an inhumanely defective TSCC.

So yeah, relax, they're too self-concerned to even notice you

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 10:42PM

Thankfully I have almost nothing to do with mine save a few I have satisfactory relationships with. The thousand of Utah relatives are strangers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.