Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 08:12PM

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p04s223f/physics-suggests-that-the-future-has-already-happened?

The future, present and past may actually not be as different as we think, says science writer and astrophysicist Adam Becker.

What if at the center of the black hole at the center of our galaxy, 25,000 light years away, contains the singularity
and on the other side of that singularity, there's a white hole, beyond it, time moves backwards, which results in a universe composed of anti=matter, almost exactly the opposite of our universe, only in 4 dimensions, instead of 3?
And the Hawking Radiation, spiraling out of the black hole, contains the information that forms this 3D reality, 25,000 lightyears later, lights slows down to make Plasma, plasma slows down to make matter, matter slows down make to acrete on the disk around our black hole, and around all the black holes, light balances out with dark, along the thin disk, that condenses, between matter and anti-matter.
And it repeats like this, over and over, resulting in the 11 dimensional multiverse, which is where the math starts to add up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 09:00PM

Do they have an experiment to prove this? Other than getting high as a kite.

But okay, quantum mechanics works with time going either forward or backward. We see an arrow of time at the macro scale because of entropy. Science works because of forward causation. That’s what causes reproducibility. Backward causation at the macro scale is basically waved away because it falls in religious territory. The doctrine of Non-overlapping magisteria is strongly supported in both academia and religion as a means to peacefully coexist. The article is an example of that wall starting to crumble. Since we’re doing quantum computing now, it’s probably time for science to entertain the deeper aspects of reality and time even if they have religious implications.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 01:59PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do they have an experiment to prove this? Other
> than getting high as a kite.

Theoretical Physics precedes experimental physics.

Michio Kaku: The Multiverse Has 11 Dimensions | Big Think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI50HN0Kshg

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 09:25PM

Physics proves the past has already happened.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 09:29PM

Can you show us the appropriate equations? Cuz I've forgotten a lot and apparently, per physics, I just need to run the numbers to get back my memories.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 10:25PM

Lot will be pissed. No more Christmas cards for you.

Date: January 17, 2021 10:29PM

Hey, the one he sent last month has finally stopped ticking! Imma still gonna wait a bit before opening...

Posted by: Lord Haw Haw ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 09:58AM

A physic a day keeps the doctor away

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 01:31AM

I'm historically going to bed

I've done it in the past
My future me has anyway

It seems so familiar
I want to do it again

On a cloud next time

Cloud 9

Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 03:20AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2021 03:21AM by behindcurtain.

Posted by: G. Salviati ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 02:53PM

See J.W. Dunne's book, "An Experiment in Time" for an account of his own precognitive dreams, and his proposed theory to explain it in light of special relativity. This book was written in 1927, when relativity and the idea of a "tenseless view of time" (block universe) had already be suggested by Minkowski and accepted by Einstein as an implication of special relativity.

Thereafter, philosophers JCC Smart and Hillary Putman, and others, used special relativity to argue for determinism and the denial of free will. Here is a good summary:

https://www.informationphilosopher.com/freedom/special_relativity.html#:~:text=%20The%20Block%20Universe%20of%20Special%20Relativity%20,Hilary%20Putnam%20were%20not%20so%20cautious...%20More

Of course, I am also reminded of the Tom Cruise movie "Minority Report."

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 01:53PM

I've seen 'The Man in the High Castle'--all this theoretical stuff is too scary.

Give me some hard science, like 'Stargate: Atlantis' or 'Buckaroo Banzai'.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 19, 2021 05:49PM

The Moody Blues suggested that Days of Future Past too.

Date: January 19, 2021 05:51PM

Breathe deep the gathering gloom.

Date: January 19, 2021 05:51PM

Or was that broom?

Date: January 19, 2021 05:54PM

"Broom deep the gathering gloom"?

Gladys, what you smokin', girl?

Date: January 19, 2021 05:56PM

The highest quality Labrador money can buy.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 19, 2021 06:55PM

You're a Cinderella story LW.

Date: January 19, 2021 07:01PM

Breathe deep the gathering groom.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 20, 2021 03:05PM

Breath deep the gathering is on Zoom.

Date: January 20, 2021 03:10PM

Pants optional?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 20, 2021 03:15PM

Lonely man cries for pants and has none

Date: January 20, 2021 04:47PM

Oh my, a very inappropriate joke comes to mind. Thank heaven you went with "none" instead of some other possible. . . words. . .

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: January 19, 2021 08:56PM

Eisenstein though so, and he was a heck of a lot smarter than most of us.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: January 20, 2021 07:03AM

Subatomic particles do not know the difference, whether time is moving forward or backward. CPT Symmetry suggests this is so, as charge, parity, and time must flow in either direction in the same manner. Theoretically, particles from the future could easily flow back through time from the future, conveying information to your point of conception in the womb. Your entire life until the day you die, could be communicated back to the moment of conception, giving you all of the information you'll need in your DNA for the rest of your life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPT_symmetry

People like to punctuate time into specific periods. Just ask someone a question, like when was WWI? They'll definitely give you some years. This is silly. WWI began long before the actual years given, and WWI has never really ended, as we're still dealing with the consequences. So time never really has a beginning or end. Everything just happened at once.

Like pressing enter on your keyboard searching for girl boobs ( just like my son at 8 years old) will yield "About 657,000,000 results (0.79 seconds)" chronologically arranged (don't get technical on this one, it's just as an example). Anyway, something pressed enter on our simulation here, and everything that will ever occur suddenly happened all at once. It is only comprehended by us simple humans by utilizing the refresh rate of the brain. We slow our reality with our biology, much like using a slow motion camera to catch what's going on. In reality, time is very fast, almost instantaneous. All of time, deep time.

Sped up, earth would appear as a ribbon of blue across the heavens. Catch up to the light in space reflected off the past earth, and you'll see everything that has ever happened. All of the information is out there in space. My dead daughter still lives on, in the light traveling through space. Anyhow, this is why time travel is not possible and never will be. I remember doing the math in order to travel back a mere 100 years. You'd be lost in space, for something like 24 days traveling at the speed of light in your time machine, just to catch up to the position of the earth 100 years ago. We need wormholes!

Every dimension is three plus one dimension, multiplied by 10 or 11, depending on how you see it. The "plus one" dimension is the time it takes to get to the next dimension. Our reality on Earth is holographically pixelated for us somewhere within the middle of the 11 dimensions. Once you are infinitesimally small at the lowest dimension, you become infinitesimally dense. At that point the cycle continues back to the top of the dimensions at number 10 again, much like an inflationary event. It becomes like a ring of dimensions, as the last part of the smallest dimension "inflates" to the highest dimension. Hard to imagine so go talk to Eric Weinstein, as he's done the math. Juan Maldacena gets it as well. And Leonard Susskind.

For the people that enjoy this kind of stuff, look up Chiara Marletto's research. Wow.

Date: January 20, 2021 09:41AM

Subatomic particles do not "know" anything. They obey (presumably) the laws of physics. CPT symmetry involves a theoretical assumption regarding particle charge, polarity, and time that presumably holds in our universe as well as in alternative universes where such parameters might be altered. (The symmetry would remain) But even so, this does not tell us anything about the specific nature of such alternative universes, or the future of our own universe.

You pack way too much into the term "theoretically" here. Moreover, you ignore the Second Law of Thermodynamics which seems to dictate a flow of time in our universe; with a failure to provide a mechanism for reversal of the time direction our universe currently has. Finally, there is a distinction between the reversal of *events in time* and time reversal. Suppose, for example, that the atoms in the universe suddenly took on a dynamic reversal, such that the motion of atoms and subatomic particles proceeded to occur in reverse to what had gone on in the past. Time itself would (presumably) continue in the same forward direction, such that a hypothetical observer would "see" events taking place in reverse order, but into the future not the past. To end up at back at the *same* big bang we started with 13.8 billion years ago, you need not only event reversal, but actual time reversal. (Event reversal only implies an oscillating universe, not time reversal) For those seeking immortality through time reversal, event reversal of itself (including the application of time reverse symmetry) will not do it; because time continues to move forward.

Even under special relativity events occur at a given location in space-time, and such events influence other events within their space-time light cone. What is denied in SR is the "temporal order (or flow) of universal time. But this "block universe" picture does not encompass a denial of relative motion, and thus does not deny time in the local, relative, sense of an observer.

The problem, in a nutshell, is that we still do not know what time is. And special relativity created more paradoxes with respect to time than it solved.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 04:36AM

Many particles behave strangely, almost if they "know" something. Entangled particles behave in such a way that they almost anticipate what will happen next, and many physicists believe that they do this by receiving information from the future. Yes, I am alluding to an updated double-slit experiment, called the delayed choice experiment:

"The scientists placed a special crystal at each slit. The crystal splits any incoming photons into a pair of identical photons. One photon from this pair should go on to create the standard interference pattern, while the other travels to a detector. Perhaps with this setup, physicists might successfully find a way to observe the logic-defying behavior of photons.

But it still doesn't work. And here's the really weird part: It doesn't work regardless of when that detection happens. Even if the second photon is detected after the first photon hits the screen, it still ruins the interference pattern. This means that observing a photon can change events that have already happened."

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a22280/double-slit-experiment-even-weirder/

(Go after the source document if you want to, as a reference. "A Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser" https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9903047v1)

Time moves forward for you, only due to your biology; ie: consciousness. Entangled particles, on the other hand do as the simulation dictates, according to information in their code. And this includes information flowing back through time. Time is only a construct of our consciousness, processed in microtubules of the mind. Known as Orch-OR theory. See figure 4, to understand the computing and quantum computing taking place in the microtubules of the brain:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6861790/

"The finer scale of consciousness: quantum theory"

The "T" in CPT Symmetry is "Time Reversal Symmetry". You should read up on this, and discover what it means for a system on a flat plane (meaning a dimension such as ours obeying inverse-square laws, not other dimensions such as the one higher than ours obeying inverse-cubed laws.)

https://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0504143.pdf, pg. 2.

"From our relatively low energy experience so far, we are lead to expect that a theory of
quantum gravity should respect most of the fundamental symmetries of particle physics,
that govern the standard model of electroweak and strong interactions: Lorentz symmetry
and CPT invariance, that is invariance under the combined action of Charge Conjugation
(C), Parity (reflection P) and Time Reversal Symmetry (T). Actually the latter invariance
is a theorem of any local quantum field theory that we can use to describe the standard
phenomenology of particle physics to date. The CPT theorem can be stated as follows [1]:
Any quantum theory, formulated on flat space time is symmetric under the combined
action of CPT transformations, provided the theory respects (i) Locality, (ii) Unitarity
(i.e. conservation of probability) and (iii) Lorentz invariance."

Do the math with time and simply reverse time by replacing t with -t. There are wild implications in understanding this. Antimatter has been created in the Large Hadron Collider, and they are particles moving back in time, so we have observed particles performing what was mathematically anticipated.

Cheers.

Date: January 21, 2021 06:15AM

This is very interesting.

Posted by: G.Salviati ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 10:35AM

Thank you for this. Of course, the delayed choice experiment has been known and been discussed for decades and has been incorporated into various interpretations of quantum mechanics.

In particular, it seems to me that one has to decide where to place the underlying metaphysics; i.e. in the physical particles themselves; the universe or multiverse operating within a "block" space-time context; or in the consciousness of the observer. In short, just where do we want to place the mystery. With that, here are some comments:

paisley70 Wrote:
> Many particles behave strangely, almost if they
> "know" something. Entangled particles behave in
> such a way that they almost anticipate what will
> happen next, and many physicists believe that they
> do this by receiving information from the future.
> Yes, I am alluding to an updated double-slit
> experiment, called the delayed choice experiment:

This strikes me as placing the metaphysics in the particles themselves, as if they were conscious agents making choices based upon receiving information from a "block" time-less (non-temporal) universe, or multiverse where information as to the future is not only available but in some sense imposed on them. Note, however, that this does not "solve" the delayed choice experiment problem because regardless of where the information comes from, the "decision" remains retroactive; i.e. it still violates causality. That is why the role of the observer seems to be paramount as affecting the outcome.

> "The scientists placed a special crystal at each
> slit. The crystal splits any incoming photons into
> a pair of identical photons. One photon from this
> pair should go on to create the standard
> interference pattern, while the other travels to a
> detector. Perhaps with this setup, physicists
> might successfully find a way to observe the
> logic-defying behavior of photons.
>
> But it still doesn't work. And here's the really
> weird part: It doesn't work regardless of when
> that detection happens. Even if the second photon
> is detected after the first photon hits the
> screen, it still ruins the interference pattern.
> This means that observing a photon can change
> events that have already happened."
>
> https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a22280/do
> uble-slit-experiment-even-weirder/
>
> (Go after the source document if you want to, as a
> reference. "A Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser"
> https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9903047v1)

Yes. And as I said, this effect has been known for decades, and has been endlessly analyzed and addressed from numerous perspectives.
>
> Time moves forward for you, only due to your
> biology; ie: consciousness.

This is a standard Minkowskian interpretation of special relativity, where again the block universe concept is implied from special relativity, and time becomes illusory, or merely psychological.

> Entangled particles,
> on the other hand do as the simulation dictates,
> according to information in their code. And this
> includes information flowing back through time.

That is not an explanation. Entangled particles may well have "coded" elements of information encompassing the future as within their light cones, but again that does not explain the "decision" of the particles with respect to the two-slit experiment; and how that plays out in meaningful psychological time. If psychological time is illusory--i.e. has not even local reality--then the entire structure of motion and causation is undermined. I don't find this a satisfactory explanation.

> Time is only a construct of our consciousness,
> processed in microtubules of the mind. Known as
> Orch-OR theory. See figure 4, to understand the
> computing and quantum computing taking place in
> the microtubules of the brain:
>
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC68617
> 90/

This is the Penrose-Hameroff quantum explanation of consciousness which has been roundly rejected for a variety of reasons. But again, even if consciousness is the result of quantum processes in the brain, that does not explain the details of human cognition, and certainly does not explain the mysteries of quantum processes generally. After all, human consciousness is quite ordered, involving experience of time, motion, and causality. So, evolution would have to have played quite a trick on us. And worse, nothing is left for human life to make any ultimate sense in a real world context.
>
> The "T" in CPT Symmetry is "Time Reversal
> Symmetry". You should read up on this, and
> discover what it means for a system on a flat
> plane (meaning a dimension such as ours obeying
> inverse-square laws, not other dimensions such as
> the one higher than ours obeying inverse-cubed
> laws.)
>
> https://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0504143.pdf, pg. 2.

I am familiar with this. So, what is your point here.
> quantum gravity should respect most of the
> fundamental symmetries of particle physics,
> that govern the standard model of electroweak and
> strong interactions: Lorentz symmetry
> and CPT invariance, that is invariance under the
> combined action of Charge Conjugation
> (C), Parity (reflection P) and Time Reversal
> Symmetry (T). Actually the latter invariance
> is a theorem of any local quantum field theory
> that we can use to describe the standard
> phenomenology of particle physics to date. The CPT
> theorem can be stated as follows [1]:
> Any quantum theory, formulated on flat space time
> is symmetric under the combined
> action of CPT transformations, provided the theory
> respects (i) Locality, (ii) Unitarity
> (i.e. conservation of probability) and (iii)
> Lorentz invariance."

O.K. Again, so what.
> in understanding this. Antimatter has been created
> in the Large Hadron Collider, and they are
> particles moving back in time, so we have observed
> particles performing what was mathematically
> anticipated.

But, we are back at square one; The delayed choice effects of quantum mechanics. We are still left to assign some metaphysical explanation or interpretation. And where do we look? The particles themselves, the universe or multiverse, or human consciousness. There are countless interpretations that favor any one of these. For example, David Deutsch insists it is the product of the multiverse; whereas Wheeler subscribed to a "participatory" universe involving consciousness.

Date: January 20, 2021 02:36PM

It's important to realize that there is a dimension in which the same person wins every single lottery drawing. EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!

Yes, that is the power of infinity! Tremble before it!!!

Date: January 20, 2021 03:27PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> It's important to realize that there is a
> dimension in which the same person wins every
> single lottery drawing. EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!
>
> Yes, that is the power of infinity! Tremble
> before it!!!

That is not the power of infinity, it is its triviality. That is why when infinite results appear in physical theories it is a sure sign that something has gone wrong.

I take it that was your point.

Date: January 20, 2021 03:40PM

> I take it that was your point.

'A fool and his pants are soon parted' was more to my point... But I truly do appreciate the feedback.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 20, 2021 04:38PM

Me and my Arrow (of time) disagree.

Date: January 20, 2021 04:46PM

I'll match your Arrow of Time and raise you "my arrows of desire!"

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/54684/jerusalem-and-did-those-feet-in-ancient-time

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 11:24AM

This is true. In two weeks I find my car keys exactly where I left them.

Creepy physics.

HH =)

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 12:05PM

Nobody here understands the math, and I've looked at what "string theory advocates" say, and there's disagreement on the "ten dimensions vs. eleven" proposals...

I will take issue with the semantics since I do have an education in that area. Physics doesn't suggest anything; some physicists are offering some thoughtful speculation, but so what? The excessive subordination with the unnecessary use of the word "that" is overly wordy as well.

Moreover, from the standpoint of perceptions and cognitive psychology, the future hasn't happened from our POV, which is our "collective operating reality" and all we really "know." This may be understood as consisting of general agreements, but that's all.

Date: January 21, 2021 12:05PM

So... No free willy?

My course through time is fixed, unalterable?

"Your honor, the case against my client MUST BE dismissed! He was merely a pawn, shot like an arrow from the bow of destiny!"

<jury erupts in spontaneous applause>

"Counselor, obviously my response is also fixed in time: motion denied; shut up, sit down and stop wasting the court's time."

We are all just pawns in a game so grand, so vast we cannot begin to comprehend it. I just hope our team is winning!

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: January 21, 2021 07:17PM

I have no idea what most of the stuff people are even saying in this thread.

For my simple mind, I thought time was merely an invention of ours (much like measurements of other sorts, such as inches or meters, ounces or grams, etc). It's a measurement of change, or the measurement of change.

If everything was static, there could be not be time, or at least the thing we use time to measure.

On the otherhand, it's something else, which I have no idea of what since they say it is connected to gravity, and obviously gravity still exists whether we are around or not (then change happens whether we are around or not).

However, most of what you guys are talking about in this thread is far over my head.

What I do understand is that what is most important about time is the time I have to spend building relationships with friends and family and trying to be the best person I can be.

That's not physics though, that's simply not being a Mormon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.