Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 11:25PM

I could not be more grateful. Some decisions just make themselves with zero hesitation.

Before the vaccine was released, I learned that the induced immune response consistently causes symptoms. Younger--healthier--stronger response.

The first vaccine caused a sore arm. The second caused a sore arm, general crumminess, and a fever. I've never been grateful for a fever before. Besides, it was a great excuse to watch Netflix in my pjs all day.

I get to talk to a lot of school workers who are deciding whether to take the vaccine or not. I tell them, if you are more afraid of the vaccine than you are of Covid 19, don't take it. Most are getting signed up.

The vaccine was tested. All of the steps were taken. The timeline was compressed.

Wishing you all health and peace in 2021.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 17, 2021 11:35PM

I'm on the list to get one next month. Yay !

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 12:44AM

It'll probably be late this year before many of US will have an opportunity to get shot.

But at least somebody has had their first and second doses. I think you are ther first. Horray!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 02:31AM

Yeah, I'm going to have to wait a good long time. I tell myself it is because of my youth and vigor but the truth probably lies in my surly personality and lack of fashion sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2021 02:21AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 20, 2021 12:25PM

It's got to be a combination.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 02:53AM

You need an excuse to watch Netflix in your pjs all day?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 02:59AM

I CHEER FOR YOU!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 07:35AM

Yay, Dorothy! I'm scheduled for my first dose next week. I never thought I'd be so excited to get jabbed in the arm. BTW, which one did you get? I'm going to be getting the Moderna.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2021 07:36AM by summer.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 12:01PM

I got the Pfizer one. They're both about 95% effective. Of the one in twenty that still contract Corona, so far, no one has died. It's a great vaccine.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 10:20AM

Here in Idaho they are still on the first group first responders and such. Starting February it was to be over 75s but then in his wisdom the governor decided to make it over 65. With no system of orderly notification of time and place I guess it will be down to who gets through on the phone to make an appintment.

Date: January 18, 2021 07:32PM

What I'm finding here in Maryland is that you need to move *very quickly* to get an appointment, and you need to vigorously pursue every opportunity -- the department of public health for the county where you live, the DoPH for the county where you work, and other opportunities at pharmacies, hospitals, clinics, etc.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 11:13AM

Haven't had my first one yet.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 11:55AM

as grounds supervisor. He didn't think he needed one, but they felt since he goes into the building, he needed one. He didn't have anything happen with the first. I haven't asked him about the second one yet. (He is out of state at the moment.)

My sister is in Idaho and a school teacher. She has signed up. Her daughter in her 40s is also a teacher and isn't going to get it.

I'm under 65, but have diabetes, so I hope I am able to get is sooner than later.

The over 70 group start today in my neighborhood. One lady couldn't get an appt and the local pharmacy was offering them for $95. The governor said on the news that if you have to pay, the state will reimburse. If I could get one for $95, I'd do in a heartbeat.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 06:37PM

Talked with my brother in London today. He received his first shot a week ago. He had received an official mailed notification of time and place and went to the designated location. He had gone fully expecting that he would stand in some congested hallway awaiting his turn and had determined beforehand that if that was the case he would not wait, not wanting to pick up the virus in the very process of being vaccinated against it. He reported that the actual experience was "brilliant". Volunteer greeters at the door, corridors with others pointing the way and right into a room where the shot was waiting. With a card noting his injection time and the time he could leave he went into another uncrowded room for a brief wait to ensure no immediate reaction. Then into a waiting room until his go time came up. All in all he said it was amazingly smooth and he came away with renewed respect for the UK's NHS.

Here we have checked with local health centers and aside from telling us it will be available to us in February there is apparently no system of notification. We will have to call to set up an appointment, if we can get through, or do it online. This latter method will be difficult for elderly people with out computers.

I read somewhere that the UK is vaccinating more than 120 people per minute and is doing it seven days per week.

Date: January 18, 2021 07:40PM

>>I read somewhere that the UK is vaccinating more than 120 people per minute and is doing it seven days per week.

It's 140 people per minute! The world leaders for vaccination are currently Israel, the UAE, Bahrain, and the U.K.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain/uk-is-vaccinating-140-people-per-minute-on-average-minister-says-idUSKBN29N0IJ

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 10:57PM

I received my first one on Jan. 7, and am scheduled for the second dose Jan.28(three weeks apart).

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 19, 2021 02:08AM

So happy for you! Where I live, in High Desert Country out West, you go online to fill in basic information. They assign you a registration number, and then you wait to be contacted.

I'm 73 and have some nasty underlying conditions, so I hope they don't take too long. I have NO idea where we will have to go to be vaccinated, and there hasn't been a lot of local news about how it is being handled.

kentish, your story about how things are being handled in the UK was fascinating. Kudos to the folks getting it done over there!!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 19, 2021 04:54AM

Congratulations, Dorothy! In the UK, my 89-year-old father has had it, but here in France, I'll probably have to wait until June...

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: January 19, 2021 09:49AM

Here in Australia we aren't even starting to roll out the vaccine until next month. That isn't too much of a worry as we have so few cases of the virus and it's been months since anyone died from it. In my state we've had a total of nine deaths and no virus in the community since April.

I'm 70 so should be getting my jab fairly soon after the vaccinations start.

Congrats to those who have had their injections and well done for getting them.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 20, 2021 02:12PM

Our governments both federal and provincial have kinda f****** up the vaccine roll out IMHO all the while telling us what a wonderful job they're doing. No idea when I'll get mine.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.