Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 06:12AM

Most likely, 2020 - 2021 will be seen as the high water point of the COJCOLDS. It will likely be a steady, declining downhill trajectory for the future of "the church".

https://kjzz.com/news/local/lds-church-membership-growth-slowed-in-utah-in-2019

Pre-pandemic 2019 saw the lowest LDS growth in Utah. Post-pandemic 2022 will mark the beginning of the slow and steady decline of Mormonism in Utah and around the globe.

By announcing 14 new temples recently, an illusion of success and growth can be portrayed to faithful members.

In a couple of pre-pandemic decades, the dropout rate of LDS youth & young adults saw staggering increases. High-ranking LDS leaders in SLC have been in panic-mode for a long time. Secularism in the USA and many parts of the world is increasing rapidly. Americans are losing the long tradition of regularly attending some sort of church meetings on Sundays. In the post-pandemic era, the trend towards secularism continues.

LDS people of all ages mostly liked the recent lack of monotonous senseless meetings. Post-pandemic attendance will probably be down big-time.

The increase in "children of record" in 2022 2023 and beyond will be alarmingly low. The number used to always be 100,000+ per year but that will never happen again. The dopey General Authorities in SLC will scratch their heads trying to figure out why they're not even close to 100,000 anymore. Hinckley: "the gospel . . shall roll forth and fill the whole earth. This work will continue to grow and prosper and move across the earth. Moroni's promise to Joseph will be fulfilled. The Church's influence in the world is greater than at any time in its history."

Annual LDS growth in USA was a mere 0.59% in 2019. In post-pandemic 2022 and beyond, the question will not be: how low can annual growth get? . . . The question will be: how big will the net loss of members be?

TCOJCOLDS faces a staggering decline in numbers of active church members in California. Many move out of California. Many just don't feel like going to church anymore.

Malaysia used to be a baptism hot spot. Japan was also at one time. Those days are over. Declining attendance numbers is all they see now. The church is in serious decline in Poland, Portugal, Taiwan, Philippines, and elsewhere.

Even the rapid Nigeria church growth is slowing as Nigerian branches are getting consolidated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 10:23AM

I think the high water mark was around 1980, give or take.

The church has been on life support in Europe for decades now. Covid may well be the final nail in the coffin. It still seems to be doing ok in Central and South America, especially Brazil.

Canada appears to be somewhere between US activity levels (high) and Europe (low). We'll get an update there in 2023 when the new census figures are released. Canada asks about religious affiliation in their main census.

We shall see soon enough, but I think the pandemic may speed up the slow decline of LDS inc in the US. About time.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 10:32AM

Do you have faith in your prediction?

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 03:16PM

My very active cousins see covid as sign of the second coming and they are going to church in person. Now they are reading scriptures more than ever.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 03:24PM

I've seen people going back to the Church after decades of being away from it. Things like a pandemic can sometimes cause people to run back to their old places of safety. Maybe it's having the opposite effect in Utah.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 03:32PM

The PNW was once a baptism Hot Spot also;

many of those 'Heritage Members' are aging out of participation / activity.

It's a challenge to staff a youth-oriented church with retirees who prefer fishing, golfing, or traveling in their motorhomes!

Maybe I'm onto something!! a ward/stake with retirees who aren't home-centric!! Get them internet access once or twice a week to share photos & experiences online....

Can I patent this?

Date: January 23, 2021 04:35PM

I wanna build a nudist / clothing-optional park in or close to St. George; any moneybag$$ wish to patrner with me on this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2021 05:27PM by GNPE.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 06:26PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wanna build a nudist / clothing-optional park in
> or close to St. George; any moneybag$$ wish to
> patrner with me on this?
no but let me know if you get it started

Date: January 23, 2021 07:11PM

All it will take is Winning lotto combination & the price of a ticket!!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 09:11PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints_membership_history

actually their MORmON growth rate peaked clear back in 1965, see chart in provided link

so that (1965) would be more of a high water mark for them.

2020 would be more of a down ward marker, than high water mark, indicating more precipitous decline coming.

They took a big hit as the internet was taking off even as they were expecting big things from buying the Olympics for "Utah" in order to promote their church/ cult / scam, which did not work out for them, as that really backfired on them more than anything. ....maybe its really best to NOT seek out so much publicity for your scam base cult as started by a wife collecting sex pervert and con man, and then fronted by a cheesy ass product of that wife collecting practice (Mitt Romney) .....

They took another shot by retooling their backfired olympic effort and running Mitt Romney for President ....which backfired much worse,and from which they will NEVER recover.

The thing is, at this point, they have NOTHING to hang their MORmON hopes on to salvage their trashed image ...which was really ruined clear back when Joe started that wife collection..... and to bring up their growth rate that is in steady unrecoverable decline headed for the negative territory of decline in actual members numbers.

They are caught in a situation where they want to dump their own book of based Mormon name, in the hope that might help....and it won't.

As MORmON growth rates continue to drop. One day the growth rate will be completely flat and then point down ward so that it is a negative growth rate and Mormon membership is declining, even by their own BS numbers. when they finally have to sell off temples as a cost cutting measure, that will be the practical end. in the mean time they are sitting on over a 100 billion in reserves.

pretty good for a scam / cult that should have been dead over a hundred years ago.

How long does it take to use up a 100 billion with thousands of meeting houses and 200 temples sitting unused?

In the long run, MORmONISM will be lucky to amount to a non christian pimple on the back of traditional christianity that it condemned to get started and then wanted to be considered part of in a desperate attempt to try to salvage its dying self.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27aZ0fKcMI8

Date: January 23, 2021 11:38PM

I have a recollection of being told, possibly in the LTM, in 1965, that the church would hit 100 million by 2000.

Too bad for them I wasn't on board with The Plan, so I didn't do my part, and things didn't go as planned.

You're welcome!

Date: January 26, 2021 05:33PM

Your hearing must have been just a touch off;

What they really said was '$100 BILLION' by 2020...

just sayin'

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 26, 2021 12:05PM

I don't know how it is now but when I was in Argentina a common response was Naci Catolica morire' Catolica! I was born Catholic I will die Catholic. hasta la bye bye!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2021 12:05PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 26, 2021 04:02PM

I am not attempting to help LDS Corp, but their brand sucks. Moreover, their experience simply sucks like a Hoover.

The church has destroyed anything that was semi-palatable. They have no activities for youth, no road shows or socials. If anyone who is looking for a sense of community would be better off in an AA meeting.

There are ZERO reasons for becoming a member. The church just sucks.

Posted by: thegame2017 ( )
Date: January 26, 2021 04:14PM

Here in Scotland its practically dead. Ysa is almost gone and a lot of branches and wards will never reopen.

Date: January 26, 2021 06:43PM

I wonder if they'll be able to get their computer system to finally tally the number of resignations in a year by year count?

Well, I assume it's a compute problem...

Why else wouldn't they announce the figure during April Conference, when they drone on about all the other figures?

Date: January 27, 2021 08:24AM

I'm betting only the inner circle is allowed to see the numbers bc someone lower might leak this info...

just sayin'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2021 03:14PM by GNPE.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: January 27, 2021 10:24AM

I suppose the mormon royalty will continue to enjoy their generational status and cloistered world for awhile going forward. It's a pleasant situation eating t-bone stake together, looking down on anyone different, and being served by the underlings. The members have woken up to the tastelessness of being servants for eternity to those worthy of a more glorious reward. Mormondom isn't usually emotionally healthy, it just doesn't work for most people.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 27, 2021 10:27AM

The Haves will do anything required to keep their position. Why or how they got there is of no consequence in the matter. So, though we think it matters that the church is a probable sham that harms people, this is not really relevant to their power.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: January 27, 2021 12:47PM

At this point in history, LDS Inc. has established quite a nest egg. Regardless of what happens to the religious arm of the corporation, the power center will probably continue. I can imagine the possible, if not probable, far into the future state of LDS Inc. as a large real estate and investment company, with limited or no religious constituency. Perhaps they're waiting until the corporate wealth per tithe paying member ratio is high enough to implement a shareholder arrangement...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 27, 2021 10:11PM

"Basically, there’s nothing left but clown noses collapsing into a hyperdense singularity for the rest of eternity." -- Aldous J. Pennyfarthing

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.