Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 10:55AM

Something you'll want to do every day, never get tired of, bored with, or ever try to avoid?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 11:11AM

Reading the Book of Mormon. It's so special!

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 03:20PM

My aged father has been reading, rereading and obsessing over it almost his entire life. Doing this for eternity wouldn't be out of character for him.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 11:19AM

Jello and funeral taters

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 11:25AM

For me the concept of adoring, praising and singing to god for all eternity was a hell unto itself.

The mormon concept of eternal creation, not just a planet as so commonly put out there, but worlds without end as described in the book of Moses, had and still has an appeal.

With our modern knowledge of the thousands of planets out there, just being the begining of our understanding, think of all the possibilities over the eternities.

Infinite combinations. Infinite diversity.

Of course being a father to gazillions and grandfather to bazillions might be a distraction. Not to mention husband to billions.

But that aside I'd rather wield the hammer than be the nail.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 11:39AM

Where to start? I know, how about romping with all the dogs I have had over my lifetime. Let me see, playing fetch with my gentle Weimaraner Missy, or cuddling up with Gus my wonderful red Dachshund, and one or two mixes Rex and Tarka. I had wonderful times with all of them, including my current mixed foundling Bootsie. That will do for a start.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 11:40AM

consider that what will be going on in the CK. I wanted nothing to do with it. I was in SHOCK and I'm still not over it some 37 years later.

I could do a dog rescue for eternity.

I also thought I'd prefer to farm on my father's farm for eternity any day than be in the CK and I used to hate farming.

Posted by: kite ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 11:58AM

Creating wonderful and bizare new creatures like the duck billed platupys and the chupacabra hahaha ha!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 12:05PM

1. Helping others (Habitat, Red Cross, Project Heifer, digging water wells, etc.)

2. Lots of affection with loved ones (Yes, including SEX!)

3. Enjoying nature in hiking, swimming (SKINNY DIPPING, of course!), biking, boating

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 12:34PM

If you were able to spend eternity doing "It", how far into eternity would you get before "It" became boring?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 02:06PM

That, of course, is what may be the sticking point...

Even spending Eternity rescuing ... the needy... Would it forever flip from being your crusade, to your 9 to 5, I-wish-it-was-time-to-punch-out job?

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 12:39PM

Neutron star juggling

Surfing blue star plasma waves

Eating pizza

Smiting stuff (bwa ha ha ha)

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 01:06PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Something you'll want to do every day, never get
> tired of, bored with, or ever try to avoid?

Wrong bored

I never get involved in the future or the past...

As far as the present, I open it every moment. Life is full of surprises. That's what it's comprised of. The eternal moment.

I'm not God, I don't think, at the moment, but I play one (it's a lot of work) on the internet. I'm playing dog now. Here boy- Fetch!

I'd soak in hot water forever-
Prunes are okay, sometimes.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 01:33PM

I question the viability of the "there is a next life"
It is my opinion that when you are here you are here and when you are gone you are gone.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 01:37PM

I used to think that with a newly, younger, CK rejuvenated body, it would be fun to spend the eternities playing pick-up basketball.

Then I realized that I would have a "perfected" body...and everyone else would as well. Nobody would miss a shot!! It would be like the basketball scene in the movie "Pleasantville".

Baseball? Everyone would hit home runs. Golf? Everyone would hit holes-in-one. Bowling? Everyone would throw perfect games.

Nawwwwwww, I would need a lower kingdom for some competition.

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 02:02PM

"Everyone would hit home runs."

But would they? The pitcher would be equally perfect. A perfect pitcher strikes out every batter. Taking it further, a perfect outfielder can jump as high as necessary to catch any ball before it reaches or clears the fence.

What happens when two perfect, omnipotent, omniscient beings oppose each other in a zero-sum game?

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 09:52PM

Can "two" and "omnipotent" even exist together? How can you be omnipotent if you have to share the power?

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 02:04PM

Being in that awful white room.

Me I want to catch up and listen to all those amazing rock and roll and blues bands and singers!

TO EACH THEIR OWN.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 02:19PM

...And it's stuck with me ever since. If anything, it makes me think of the "bliss" procured by opiates (which I hated when I tried many years ago), but it rather sums up my impression of the whole heavenly concept, really. It's a song by Talking Heads, but here is a slightly abridged version:

Heaven

Everyone is trying to get to the bar
The name of the bar, the bar is called Heaven
The band in Heaven, they play my favorite song
They play it once again, they play it all night long

Heaven is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens

There is a party, everyone is there
Everyone will leave at exactly the same time
It's hard to imagine that nothing at all
Could be so exciting, could be so much fun

Yeah, Heaven is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens

And when this kiss is over, it will start again
Will not be any different, will be exactly the same
It's hard to imagine that nothing at all
Could be so exciting, could be this much fun

Heaven is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 08:04PM

My favourite band since 1977. I love in that song how the melody ironically soars around the words 'nothing at all'!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 01:34AM

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 02:53PM

Multiplying on my own planet. Watching my sister wives have fun when it is not my turn with my husband it is not cheating it is the new and everlasting covenant.

Date: January 23, 2021 03:15PM

This is one subject that the GAs have consistently avoided (evaded) being specific about other than doing 'temple work' so save lost souls.

right.

Seems to me that 'the eternities' is an awful long time!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 04:07PM

I will never get tired of looking down my nose at those who didn't make the Celestial level. All my Mormon life I secretly champed at the bit for superiority, especially moral superiority. I was an egregious ass in life and expect to continue being one in death. Praise to the man who said I'm better than you.

Date: January 23, 2021 06:40PM

I hope the (claimed) hereafter is nudist or at least clothing optional.

Date: January 23, 2021 07:24PM

I watched a movie named "Soul" the other day with my daughters. It seemed sort of "pre-existency" to me, so I searched and sure enough it came up under that topic. But what surprised me was the the show The Good Place did too (at least for Mormon theology). We binged watched that whole series a couple months ago, and it didn't strike me that way (but perhaps I don't know enough about Mormon "theology").

In The Good Place the main gang strives to improve themselves to be worthy of "the good place" (when some discover that they're there by "accident") but the gist of the show is that they originally thought they were in the good place, but were actually in "the bad place," and their eternal torment was meant to be trying to get along with others and prove they "belonged" in the ostensible good place, when they're actually in the bad place.

That's an oversimplification of the show, but Mormonism forever strikes me as "the bad place."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2021 07:26PM by Gordon B. Stinky.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 07:28PM

Welcome to the Celestial Kingdom!

And Congratulations on having successfully achieved Godhood! Here is your diploma, and your license to perform all those offices and acts associated with your Divine Office. (You may use the duplicating room to make several thousand copies so that each of your wives can have her own).

You are now authorized to organize your own worlds and universes. Do-it-yourself plans are available for you on the Internet at http://www.god.gov/creating.html.

You are now authorized to start procreating spirit children with your celestial wives, through spiritual sex, which will have to be pretty frequent and pretty quick, depending on the size worlds you create.

You will now be able to watch your spirit children disobey you and frustrate you and make a mess of everything you try to do. (You are only allowed one complete Flood per world to give them a second chance.)

You are now authorized to communicate with your spirit children in any way except directly (because they don't deserve that sort of one-on-one relationship from you), but you are allowed to give them "hunches," which they will probably misunderstand and start thinking that ordinary hunches are messages from you (but - hey - they should know).

You are also allowed to choose prophets from among them, with whom you can talk directly, but you are not allowed to give your prophets any messages that are plain enough to be understood by any of your children without several people who don't really know anything giving them differing interpretations of what you said.

You can have your prophets write down your message in books, but you have to allow them to put it into their own words so that the meaning isn't really very clear. You can't correct their grammar or their spelling, either, or tell them when they've left out a word.

You are not allowed to change your mind, once you have given a commandment. Well, if it was really a mistake, it's all right to change your mind. But you are not allowed to ADMIT it was a mistake. You have to say the new commandment is better, and your children are getting it because they've been so good.

If your children really mess up, you're going to have to make them pay. Or if you can find one who's willing, make him pay up for all of them (and you can make it real gory if you want), and then you can let the others off the hook. You can name a church after him, if you want.

Now that you are a God, enjoy it. It's going to last forever and ever and ever and ever and you will get to do this again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again ....

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 08:08PM

So it's not just sitting around in the clouds,listening to harp music then?

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 09:47PM

I wouldn't want to experience the Mormon idea of eternity which I was taught is a place where all the good TBMs will have mansions surrounded by family members. The women will spend eternity having spirit babies and then watch them suffer on other planets as mortals while god mommy and daddy watch from heaven, doing nothing to alleviate their suffering. Sounds more like hell to me.

If life continues after we die, I would hope that we continue learning. Maybe we will continue to have opportunities for mortal existence on planets just to break up the monotony. Eternity must be monotonous. Maybe we beg to be mortals for a little while to escape the feeling of being trapped in eternity.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 25, 2021 12:20PM

Re: Hey mormons, what's so much fun you want to spend Eternity doing it?
NOTHING RELATED TO MORMONISM unless they reinstate polygamy and include polyandry for the ladies

Date: January 25, 2021 12:35PM

How about spend eternity NOT being Mormon?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.