Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 11:43PM

So, I know about the whole "fence sitting" thing and winding up
with the curse of cain if you weren't "valiant" in the preexistence.

But does the impact of your behavior and "valiancy" in the
preexistence extend beyond that? I vaguely remember people
talking about it also affecting whether you're BiC, for example,
and otherwise impacting the sort of family one is born into.

For example, my poor TBM brother is stuck trying to influence a
family of wretched gentile siblings. Our oldest brother is
Catholic. I'm not religious. Our half-sister has all sorts of
problems, including a lengthy rap sheet, etc.

I guess what I'm really wondering is if it's his own fault that
he was born into such a horrible gentile family, and had to
convert to TSCC rather than being born into it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 23, 2021 11:53PM

> But does the impact of your
> behavior and "valiancy" in
> the preexistence extend be-
> yond that? I vaguely remem-
> ber people talking about it
> also affecting whether you
> are BiC, for example, and
> otherwise impacting the sort
> of family one is born into.

Early morning Seminary, 1959-1962. We delved into the mysteries, cuz it broke up the monotony!

It made sense that being BIC was a reward and that being born in a third world poop-hole, like Idaho, was the result of not being as valiant as the BIC kids were.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 12:10PM

Idaho is the only place I know where a massive budget surplus of over 200 million is a sign of terrific money management rather than a sign of over taxation.

Date: January 24, 2021 12:38PM

I was trying to be silly. I once waterskied at Bear Lake and had the potato nacho plate, and so am conversant with most things Idaho.

But Fiscal Responsibility is so overrated! Here in North Disneyland we’re expecting hyperinflation to pull us from our morass of debt any day now!

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: January 26, 2021 06:26PM

I think all of California is moving to Idaho right now so maybe Disneyland will move here soon , too.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 26, 2021 06:40PM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 12:19AM

like the famous "brown eyes/blue eyes" experiment or the eponymous ribbon in the film "The White Ribbon."

Or, in playground language, "nyah, nyah, nan nan nyah, I'm better than you are..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2021 12:19AM by anybody.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 01:01AM

In the 1960s this was common knowledge, exemplified most plainly by Alvin R. Dyer (https://www.mrm.org/for-what-purpose-dyer). Yes it was taught throughout the church that there was a ranking system in the pre-earth life and that that ranking was continued in mortality. It led directly to the Saturday's Warrior doctrine that we all chose our families before we were born.

But now of course the church never taught that and those who say they did are vile apostates.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 01:02AM

Yes, your behavior in the pre-existence determines your situation here on hearth. It is Hinduism minus the reincarnation. It's an evil doctrine.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 01:53AM

These beliefs that called the whole black race "fence sitters" (and thus were cursed with a black skin by god) and that said that one person's start in life was better or worse than others because of what they did in the pre-existance were real Mormon beliefs up until just a few years ago when the church dis-avowed them in their published essays after being being publicly shamed about them for decades after the wide adoption of the internet. The mormon church now dis-avows these beliefs as the theories that were circulated by some members in the past.

From what I have read from materials published by church leaders in the past and having lived in the mormon culture of the past decades myself, I can tell you that the Mormon church really did practice institutionalized racism up until just recently. These beliefs were doctrines of the church. The Church benefitted from the promotion of these racist beliefs, and could have put an end to them, but instead embraced them as gospel. In the Mormon church of 1980 that I lived in, anyone who called Brigham Young a false prophet or who called Joseph Smith a child molester found their fast-track to excommunication. But if you said that God has cursed the whole black race with black skin so that others could identify them as sinners from the pre-existance, you were simply teaching church doctrine. We were taught to feel sorry for them the same way that Jesus had pity on the adulterous woman. But non the less, they were ostracised and prohibited from anything other than being baptized. All other (so-called) blessings of Mormonism were withheld from them. They couldn't go through the temple, serve on missions, nor hold the priesthood. Without these things in Mormonism, you're a nobody and can't even affiliate in ninety percent of the things that Mormons value the most. No one in their right mind would ever choose to affiliate with any organization that treated them that way. And that was just fine with the church and it's members because they didn't any black people in their congregations anyway.

No one is cursed before their birth and no child is responsible for any bad circumstances they end up in. Shame on the Mormon church for teaching otherwise. But different people handle bad circumstances differently. This doesn't make them more good or bad. Some people are just better at surviving than others are. Some people get a better start than others. I was raised under conditions that are probably worse than anyone else here has seen, based on what I have ever read here in this forum. Most people who go through what I went through as a child never live a normal life afterward. I haven't even discussed the worst of it here on this forum yet, but plan to eventually. I am currently stepping backward chronologically through my life as I work on recovery still in my late fifties. Last year, even my last therapist was visibly shocked when I told her the worst of it. She didn't seem shocked by what happened to me. I think she hears a fair amount of what I described to her since that is what she does for a living. She seemed shocked more by the fact that I appear to be having a normal life afterward. My younger brother wasn't so fortunate and died over twenty years ago of a drug overdose of illegal drugs, after decades of struggle as an adult and never thriving. So you have to just do the best you can with what you start from. But no one was cursed by god before their birth and then born in to a dis-advantaged situation as a result.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 11:14AM

It is NOT THE PREEXISTENCE
IT IS THE PRE MORTAL EXISTENCE
this is a commonly mis-stated thing

Gordon B. Stinky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, I know about the whole "fence sitting" thing
> and winding up
> with the curse of cain if you weren't "valiant" in
> the preexistence.
>
> But does the impact of your behavior and
> "valiancy" in the
> preexistence extend beyond that? I vaguely
> remember people
> talking about it also affecting whether you're
> BiC, for example,
> and otherwise impacting the sort of family one is
> born into.
>
> For example, my poor TBM brother is stuck trying
> to influence a
> family of wretched gentile siblings. Our oldest
> brother is
> Catholic. I'm not religious. Our half-sister has
> all sorts of
> problems, including a lengthy rap sheet, etc.
>
> I guess what I'm really wondering is if it's his
> own fault that
> he was born into such a horrible gentile family,
> and had to
> convert to TSCC rather than being born into it?

Date: January 24, 2021 11:45AM

It’s not DEATH! It’s just not being ALIVE!!

It’s not LIFE! It’s just not DEATH!!

Got it? It’s going to be on the FINAL! Which is not the FIRST!! Or in the MIDDLE!!!

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 04:46PM

Date: January 24, 2021 05:16PM

Dr. No Wrote:
> comes this guy Schrödinger, and he had a cat,
> and
>
> https://assets.amuniversal.com/d7485e309a6b0130396
> a001dd8b71c47
>
> https://assets.amuniversal.com/d882a9209a6b0130396
> a001dd8b71c47

Sure why not: We know whose cat it was, but what was the cat's name!!

Date: January 24, 2021 04:48PM

I've said this before, but Thomas Mann wrote that "life is a species of death."

What he meant is that atoms and molecules arrange themselves in all sorts of different ways. The vast majority of those are not "animate" in any way, but a small minority are what we call alive. Even in those cases, however, life is a transitory state that quickly returns to inanimate form.

If that is correct, then life is a transitory form of organization among dead elements. From ashes to ashes, from dust to dust.

Date: January 24, 2021 05:19PM

Have any petrified corpses been discovered?

And this process of regaining a corporeal body... Why hasn't Lucifer stolen the secrets to this process?

Date: January 24, 2021 05:25PM

Ironically, it was the Devil on his tour of the universe who realized that life is a species of death.

But you of all "people" already know that, don't you.

Date: January 24, 2021 05:32PM

You may suspect things, but you have no proof!

Date: January 24, 2021 05:36PM

Proof is so 20th century. In the Brave New World truth is whatever a large number of people want it to be.

Where you at, Gramps?

Date: January 26, 2021 07:29PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Proof is so 20th century. In the Brave New World
> truth is whatever a large number of people want it
> to be.
>

Truth is whatever the tech titans want us to believe.

Date: January 26, 2021 08:06PM

Just so.

Without social media and their immunity to suit for defamation, QAnon and Trumpism would never have put down roots. Letting people like Mark Zuckerberg avoid responsibility for the proper functioning of their business models is absurd. Subject the tech giants to the same laws as other publishers, the same liability, and the lies would have gained far less currency.

Date: January 26, 2021 11:34PM

...and will now lead a bunch of ragtag fugitives fleeing the wrath of the deepstate Cylon empire...

Date: January 27, 2021 12:16AM

Deep state this, deep state that. The jargon is just a way of evoking emotion as a substitute for reason.

My view is that a single rule should apply to all information: if it is true, no problem; if it is false, the publisher is liable for the consequences just like newspapers or book companies. So I say make Zuckerberg and the others liable and let the chips fall as they may.

You, however, appear to think that lies and their consequences are okay if the speaker is politically correct. You do just what you accuse others of doing.

Posted by: Yogi Berra ( )
Date: January 26, 2021 07:32PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:

> The vast majority of those are not "animate" in any
> way, but a small minority are what we call alive.

That's too coincidental to be a coincidence.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 04:33PM

It explains away inequities, and even better conveniently justifies the total abdication of humanitarianism.

I may walk past suffering shielded and justified in righteousness.

I am righteously justified in racism; in building malls instead of hospitals; in the greed of 100 billion.

For all the faults of Catholicism, I respect them for building non-profit hospitals serving poor communities (good training ones, too), educational institutions, and engaging in vast worldwide humanitarian efforts. By their fruits . . .

Not sure if the Catholics endorse a preexistance.
But if so, it's not employed as a weapon justifying inhumanity

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 05:46PM

It's astounding
Time is fleeting
Madness takes its toll

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 06:05PM

I'm currently under sedation.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 07:39PM

The Rambo film franchise has been sent back in time to be used as training films in the pre-existence. Yes, you too can come out of the mud to knife Lucifer’s followers provided you were born after the film career of Sylvester Stallone. Don’t want to get that dirty? Exploding arrowheads are also valiant. Also hit the Nautilus equipment hard, you’ll want to look Nephite buff as you take out fallen angels in creative and gruesome ways.

War in Heaven? Valiant? Pass the doobie, man. Or maybe that’s what happened so there you are in Idaho.

Or, maybe it’s the biggest crock of sh*t ever invented.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.