Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 08:47PM

Bumped into the following quote over on Postmo. I thought it was a rather interesting concept. While leaving Mormonism I ended up rejecting the Bible too so I am not sure I really accept the basic premise. However, there may be something to this.

"Now it seems clear that Judaism has some wisdom that is in short supply, both in the world as well as in America. Increasing numbers of Jews, and a not insignificant number of non-Jews, are coming to see that within Jewish texts, there are truths and insights that are badly needed in the world. It is also clear that, throughout history, Jews have had some measure of success in making these values operative in their communities. Ironically, at the dawn of the 21st century, it seems that we have not traveled so far down the road from our ancestors who understood that Judaism was "counterculture," offering a way of thinking and living that was embraced by few others in the world. Whereas once the cultural norm from which Judaism dissented was paganism, today it might be religious fanaticism, hedonism or secularism.

From this perspective, the idea of holy apartness has newfound appeal. There may well be no other way for the values and ideals envisioned by Judaism to be expressed and carried forward in the world, even if those ideals are not yet embraced by the society at large. For much of Jewish history, the biblical expression am levado yishkon (Num. 23:9), Israel as "a nation that dwells apart," was descriptive. Today it has become prescriptive.

Unless the Jewish people succeeds in holding onto some parts of the values and ideals of justice and holiness, over and against societies and cultures that have either rejected or ignored those ideals, there is no way for those principles to endure. It can only be done by reclaiming the importance and value of the Jewish people being holy and apart."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-sid-schwarz/jewish-values-in-the-cont_b_772900.html

I think one of the problems is there are so many different hues and shades to every religion. Moderate and liberal religionists seem to have a balanced view of life. However, they attain this by rejecting a literal interpretation of their canonized scripture. What starts out as a good thing could potential turn sour with the ever shifting tides of religious belief. Some segments of Islam come to mind. The early days of Christianity in the US were not without problems too (e.g. Salem witch trials).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 08:48PM

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: October 30, 2010 12:52AM

Your question is as good of an argument for the Separation of Church and State as I've ever seen.

Which religion has absolute truth that is worth "retrenching" to?

None of them do,including Judaism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.