Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: February 07, 2021 09:52AM

DW and I have been listening to

https://wondery.com/shows/bunga-bunga/

The story telling is well done with humor.

From the podcast site: 'Silvio Berlusconi was the charismatic multi-millionaire real-estate mogul who set out to up-end the Italian political order. With his wealth, charisma and connections he became one of the most powerful men in the world until two words helped bring him down: “Bunga Bunga.” This is the incredible true story of the rise and fall of Silvio Berlusconi.'

Any other suggestions while we wait for vaccines?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: February 07, 2021 11:12AM

Dan Savage's "Savage Lovecast."

"Oh No Ross and Carrie" the show where "we don’t just report on spirituality, fringe science and claims of the paranormal, but take part ourselves. We join religions, undergo alternative medical treatments, and hunt for ghost, goblins, demons, and deities. If it has an extraordinary claim attached to it, we’ll check it out." Among other things, they took the Mormon discussions and even got baptized.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 07, 2021 01:15PM

Thanks. I subscribed.
I'm looking forward to listening. I'm always looking for more interesting podcasts.

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: February 10, 2021 04:38PM

My current favorites are Al Jazeera Investigates, The Ancients, and Overheard at National Geographic.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 10, 2021 06:20PM

Against all odds Al Jazeera has become a pretty good source, hasn't it?

Date: April 05, 2021 06:32PM

I just finished the podcast series. Thanks, Eric K for recommending it. It was interesting to say the least. Silvio's personality type is now something I notice. Beware of charismatic, self serving, entitled shysters who manipulate and bribe people to get power!

The last three episodes especially had many parallels to our Former Guy here in the USA. Heaven forbid if the next one who gets momentum here is actually smart.

In my naïve little bubble, I never really thought about the personality traits of these mob boss types. People are greedy and will go along with anything if it benefits themselves.

With all the crime Silvio committed, shockingly he got off only having to do a little public service and his cult-like followers STILL adore him.

As a woman, I'm not impressed with the views about women in Italy. I was not following international politics back then. If I had, maybe I would have caught on to what was going on in the USA the last 4 years earlier.

As far as podcasts go, lately I am enjoying stories read by LeVar Burton. He selects a lot of short stories from other cultures. So many podcasts, so little time.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 06:39PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a woman, I'm not impressed with the views about
> women in Italy. I was not following international
> politics back then. If I had, maybe I would have
> caught on to what was going on in the USA the last
> 4 years earlier.

Ken Burns nailed it in the spring of 2016. As an historian who has studied this stuff for decades, he declared that Trump was exactly what a tyrant looks like. Burns warned explicitly about the threat to the US constitution and polity.

I do wish, as a general matter, that people knew more history. There is nothing new under the sun.

Date: April 05, 2021 06:48PM

You're so right. Nothing is new.

I've been listening to a lot of history podcasts (mostly ancient) the last couple of years too. It's flabbergasting to think of all the people who have lived and died in all the different circumstances. Humans warring over power and resources repeats over and over.

I've only watched maybe 3 Ken Burns documentaries. He is brilliant.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: April 06, 2021 12:28AM

The latest I've seen is Prohibition. Very engaging. Gives a great detailed look at the conditions and movements that culminated in Prohibition. It wasn't just a bunch of sourpuss Puritans trying to spoil the fun.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 06, 2021 12:34PM

Not a podcast but if you get bored there are always wombats :)

Posted by: Moe H ( )
Date: April 08, 2021 03:27PM

Started Savage love cast last night, I enjoyed it.Subscribed to Al Jazeera, I have no doubt this will be good.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.