Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 08:56AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 11:03AM

Are you cold?

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 11:30AM

Yes! -20F when I got up this morning. We passed “brisk”.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 11:35AM

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 11:48AM

sbg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes! -20F when I got up this morning. We passed
> “brisk”.

:D

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 02:25PM

International Falls, MN ?

Date: February 15, 2021 04:00PM

No Minnetonka, MN. Just west of downtown Minneapolis.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 04:04PM

That's a great place to live . . . nine months per year!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 05:04PM

Oh my goodness! I'll have to check in with my friend in Eden Prairie.

Date: February 15, 2021 06:17PM

Same as me, I can drive there in about 5 minutes. Just north of the Eden Prairie Minnetonka line.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 07:53PM

My sister lives near there. When I spoke to her today she didn't mention it.

I'm chilly, wandering around with double sweaters on, and it's 8C here in B.C. today. And it's raining (a lot, much of the time).

But given what's happening elsewhere (i.e.: Texas), I won't complain (so much) any more.

All the best to everybody out there!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 04:13PM

Cold as Bednar’s stare.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 08:27PM

I woke up to -22 below F tonight -26 F below. The high today was -7 F below.

This afternoon the electric company is going to have rolling blackouts for “an hour or more” because people are using too much electricity trying to stay warm.

Simply Amazing.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 01:33PM

We were 29 in Orem Utah

Date: February 15, 2021 02:26PM

That is downright warm compared to the real Zion.

Posted by: Southbound D6F ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 03:37PM

Coldest I have ever been was while working in Canadian high Arctic on the Arctic Ocean. -62 for12 days straight, not including wind chill. I am still cold from that. Not for the faint hearted.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 05:06PM

How do you even dress for that?

Posted by: southbound ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 10:05PM

We wore layers of clothing, good winter boots. i had found some some face masks from Russia that had a breathing tube that went down inside your coat and warmed the air you were breathing. you planned every move you were going to make and at the first sign of cold distress you went to the camp and went inside. We had a sleigh camp we pulled with us as we did the job we had contracted for. No mistakes and no forgiveness. I loved it.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 04:28PM

It's about 21 (F) here in NM just now. We've had a few below-zero low temps in the last few days. For a sun-loving former beach bunny born and raised in Southern California, this is brutal.

Currently, in the absence of snow and wind, we are watching the icicles (which look like frozen catfish whiskers crossed with ice cubes) dripping merrily in the sunshine. Maybe 3" of snow on the ground in spots.

Can I fast-forward to mid-June now, please?

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 05:23PM

26 below last night. 38 below the night before. Today we warmed to 2 above.

I feel for those in Texas and nearby as the record setting Cold that is going to see a week of freezing will really hurt some of the trees and plants.

As for all the wrecks on slick roads - even up here on the Canadian border we see it. The first few snows and ice covered roads seem to take some fools by surprise. Okies and Texans - can be excused for it but choosing to drive when not absolutely necessary without winter tires is plain stupid. Dumber than Mormons - is the term for that behavior.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 06:34PM

For those not familiar-

I used to live in Duluth MN for a few yrs (high school);

Lk Superior freezes over in the winter, in spite of ice breakers stationed there (currently?), stopping shipping of grain & iron ore (taconite) to other ports (grain all over the world, iron ore to places like Cleveland, etc).

medium sized Planes land on the lake when it's frozen

The wind off the lake whips into the city & makes it WORSE than being in a freezer! People often leave their vehicles running all night.

IRONY: Duluth is ICE COLD in the winter (many outdoors skating rinks) , hot & muggy in summers; yet they call Duluth 'The air-conditioned city'...

Go Figure.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 16, 2021 04:55PM

And you walked five miles to school in three feet of snow, uphill, both ways.

I lived in Winnipeg. Most cars had electric heaters installed in their engine blocks, and many parking lots had electric outlets so you could plug in your car during the day. Kind of nice, actually. The car would start blowing warm air from the heater as soon as you started the engine.

But I don't recall anyone leaving their engine on all night. Cars with full synthetic oil and/or only 4 cylinders didn't usually need to be plugged in.

Now that I think of it, sometimes diesel trucks would leave engine running because diesel fuel would gel, especially if it had been purchased in a warmer state. They blend thinner diesel fuel for cold weather.

Nice thing about 10% ethanol gasoline is that your gas lines wont won't freeze. That Heet additive is just straight ethanol.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 06:43PM

Where's the "global warming" AL-gore promised when you need it? The NYSlymes, and so many others, predicted "the end of snow" by 2020. Well, 2020 sure sucked, but for other reasons.

I'm going to board my private jet and join Bill Gates and my fellow elitists to discuss what we need to do about "overpopulation" and other eminent disasters, such as Hell freezing over, the Battle of Armageddon and Christ's return, which will occur simultaneously with the melting of the polar ice caps.

Oh, wait...I'm not an elitist, and I don't have a private jet. Damn! (Wait--do I mean "damn" figuratively or literally?)

Date: February 15, 2021 07:22PM

The cold was pushed south. There is always a reaction. Or maybe its been a year without a Santa Claus for you since Heatmiser had to leave office.

Date: February 15, 2021 08:11PM

He didn't even manage to fix the toilet and shower flow. . .

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 07:56PM

Date: February 19, 2021 08:03PM

I was referring to Herr Heatmiser, who promised time and again to improve the water flow in various bathroom accoutrements.

"Build the high-flow shower head! Build the high-flow shower head!"

Euphonious, no?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2021 08:03PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 11:06PM

Don't confuse weather with climate.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 16, 2021 04:41PM

Nobody predicted an end of snow in 2020. Well, except you.

Glaciers, however, are feeling a little anemic.

Posted by: synonymous ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 07:19PM

Nope. Wind represents a small portion of the Texas power supply.

"Of the total amount of power that suffered outages, wind accounted for only some 13%, a far smaller share than accounted for by coal, gas and nuclear plants."

Oh, and turbines don't fail if they've been winterized. Guess who didn't do that? (Hint: GOP politicians.)

"So it's fair to ask: why don't wind turbines fail all the time in colder climates, such as Canada, Sweden or the American Midwest? The answer, in short, is that turbines in colder places are typically equipped with de-icing and other tools, such as built-in heating. In Texas, where the weather is almost never this cold, they usually are not."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottcarpenter/2021/02/16/why-wind-turbines-in-cold-climates-dont-freeze-de-icing-and-carbon-fiber/?sh=a16c03e1f595

Better luck next time.

And please tell us more about Bill Gates and overpopulation – or is it depopulation? Hard to keep track of the conspiracy theories.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 10:59PM

We are beginning our journey out of the deepfreeze tonight.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 11:05PM

Minus 15 here in the Springs last night.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 11:27PM

Last Thursday night it got down to -35F here..and this afternoon is the first time we've been above 0F in 10 days

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 11:28PM

Heard from a friend in the San Antonio address of Texas. It was about 5 below zero F, Saturday night and had a wind chill off about-15.

To top it off, wind turbine generator were freezing up adding to the strain on the electrical power system.

Coal fired and natural gas generators are doing fine.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 05:32PM

Tumwater..... I am in Houston. And I hate to burst your bubble. MOST of the generation that went off line was NG, Coal, and Nuclear plants. ten years ago TX had a similar event. Wind some, of course, but only because the companies had not winterized them as the other 49 states in the USA require. And in the interim period, none of the players have really done anything to fix the problems identified. And the government (ERCOT, PUC, and RR Commission) have really done nothing to force the power producers to fix these issues. So here we are ten years later and the same SHIT happens. 185 units shut down. 4 million homes without power within ERCOT. 1.4 million were off within Centerpoint Energy area (where I live). Power went off because they did not have enough generation. And then ERCOT refused to go buy more, because "it would cost too much."

And then you have guys like Rick Perry saying that "Texans would gladly accept their power being off for days in order to avoid federal regulation. There is a reason ERCOT is ONLY within TX.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: February 16, 2021 04:32PM

..."Now Hiring! Road plow, skid loader, and snow blower operators. Some experience helpful, but not required. Must be able to work outdoors in poor weather. Complimentary bowl of soup each shift! Free hypothermia, with a bonus frostbite death benefit! And a haircut by Canada's leading mortician!"

Apply online @ thisisyournewlife.com today! Ask for Mr. Kerry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.