Date: February 16, 2021 05:06PM
This is about religion vs. science, not politics,
Bill Maher, who wrote and produced the movie, "Religulous" made the point last week on his HBO show, "Realtime",
"The events of January 6th were a faith-based initiative, and Trumpism is a Christian nationalist movement. Magical religious thinking is a virus, and QAnon is just its current mutation. #Religulous"https://twitter.com/billmaher/status/1357915846731997185
At the bottom of that thread somebody (forget who) asked, "So you don't rely upon magical thinking?"
Magical (or superstitious) thinking is the belief that unrelated events are causally connected despite the absence of any plausible causal link between them, particularly as a result of supernatural effects.
I gave up, as much as possible, magical thinking on 9-11, when it became completely obvious to me that we were on our own. That there was no Savior who was going to come save us from ourselves, despite the fervent prayers of all those victims. No matter how hard we pray, there's not going to be a savior. And if we are going to save ourselves, from ourselves, it's up to us. We have to save ourselves, individually and collectively. It's not up to some outside force, the government or a church. It's up to me individually to be the change I want to see in the world and live today like it could be my last day on Earth, because it very well could be.
There's nothing magical or superstitious about that.
While I try to avoid superstitions and magical thinking we all have to rely upon some kind of 'magical thinking' when there's no other explanation. Like for instance, "Dark Energy/matter" which makes up 95% of the universe when you add up all the mass, there should be 95% more of it in order to move our galaxy 1.4 Million mph South, toward the Great Attractor, along with all our neighboring galaxies and all the galaxies in our 'galactic neighborhood' Laneakea. We can't figure out where that missing mass went, or why we can't see it, but it must exist, according to the current model, so we just made up a name for it, "Dark Matter" since we can't see it. And then we took a look at how, despite the fact the galaxies are converging on the same point in space, they're simultaneously expanding apart at an increasingly high rate of speed. In order to do that there would need to be a lot more radiation than there is in the universe, about 95% more, so, "Dark Energy" which is even more mysterious than dark matter, which is a complete mystery.
So given the current state of our collective knowledge, we know about less than 5% of the universe. The other 95% is a complete mystery and will probably remain a complete mystery for the rest of my life and the rest of human existence, potentially.
For the other 95%, we just have to rely upon the 95% fudge factor to explain what the hell happened to all the mass/energy in the world.
It's kind of like missing socks.
Where the hell do they all go?
Black hole I guess!