Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 11:25PM

I don't watch TV and now that The Don is gone and Rush turned belly up, I have NO idea what's going on in the world!!

Is it true Facebook and Google have you now knowing even less about what's going on than I do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 11:28PM

I would think that people referencing and linking news articles would be useful to the news organizations. People would follow the links to their pages. The news organizations would get eyes on their advertisements and a chance to pitch online subscriptions. Or am I missing something?

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 06:17AM

Hi Elderolddog, Faceboook has put a blanket ban on all Australian news, including government, health and charity pages. From what I can gather it is their response to our media demanding that Facebook pay them for using anything newsworthy.

Now, according to the Sydney Morning Herald, a senior Facebook exec has apologised for blocking health and emergency sites.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/we-are-sorry-senior-facebook-exec-apologises-for-blocking-health-emergency-sites-20210219-p5745a.html

Date: February 19, 2021 07:04AM

>>From what I can gather it is their response to our media demanding that Facebook pay them for using anything newsworthy.

I read that to mean that FB is not letting users share news articles on their private accounts. Is this correct? If so, the news organizations are insane. FB is not a news site. And the news organizations can decide if they want to maintain a FB page or not.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 11:11AM

Have I missed an overarching story about Australia?

Date: February 19, 2021 11:54AM

Gordon B. Stinky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have I missed an overarching story about
> Australia?

I don't really know, as I am but a slothful seeker of the sordid "truths" of the world.

Here's the blurb that gave me notice that something untoward was going down in Australia. It has links to additional contextual stories within it. If you decipher the matter, please do not hesitate to fill me the F in...

https://apnews.com/article/facebook-continues-news-block-australia-e0b545d3ba541c2de8389c6bd0a6f23f

Date: February 19, 2021 01:48PM

If it's just a matter of users sharing links, I'm with Facebook on this one. It would be like charging RfM for the apnews link above.

Date: February 19, 2021 02:05PM

Just off the top of my head, if this is the case, then people should pay something per month to be on Facebook and then Facebook could pay that to the outlets who spent money to produce what was being shared...

Or maybe there's a point of view that says, "Facebook makes a lot of money charging advertisers, so it's up to them to spread that money around to content providers."

I say hook'em all up to lie-detectors and ferret out the truth of where the money goes! Make the flow of money equitable!

I'm a Radical!! Someone watch my back!!

Date: February 19, 2021 05:25PM

For the most part, users are not posting the articles. Just the links.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 04:35PM

summer Wrote:
> It would be like
> charging RfM for the apnews link above.

Good comparison.

I don't use FB so am often in the dark on some details about the world!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 04:12PM

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 06:30PM

Atlas shrugged.

Just with data not copper.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 07:30PM

I'm still chuckling about Australia losing the war against emus.

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 04:57PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> I'm still chuckling about Australia losing the war
> against emus.

Well it could have been a lot worse for us if the rabbits had been able to join up with the emus, but we outfoxed them there and erected a 3256 kilometre (approx 2023 miles) rabbit proof fence. As for the koalas, they are always too drunk on eucalyptus oil and slept through it all.

These days we no longer declare war on our wild life, we leave it to our overseas visitors to go hunting for the elusive but dangerous drop bears and hoop snakes.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 12:51PM

Aussie news?

Total deaths from the virus - 909.

Less than most US States.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 06:41PM

Thanks for asking, EOD. There's a battle going on over a new media code designed to increase the share of advertising revenue earned by local media organisations versus big tech.

Facebook earns a lot from advertising in Australia, and doesn't pay much tax in this country, preferring to divert revenues via its offices in international tax havens. Many people receive news content free via Facebook instead of paying for it directly from the media.

Facebook's negotiation tactics have been heavy-handed, whereas Google and Microsoft's Bing are signing up to agreements with media companies under the Code. There's arguments either way, but we generally think its a good idea to support our independent news media. I don't use Facebook myself, and have plenty of subscriptions, but some are suddenly learning that you shouldn't rely on one algorithm for all your information about the world.

On another front, we have no community transmission at present and vaccines have arrived, along with some more anti-vaxxers.

Very sorry to hear about the icing up of Texas and we hope that things start to improve for you guys again in spring. Meanwhile we are in hopefully our last Perth heatwave for the summer.

Bestest...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.