Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 09:36PM

This ego-ideology. It is very special. I am older now. I see how generations adapt to the ideology. How split perfectionist the young people are. They are well versed, skilled, high demand-driven but not in a pampered way. I do not like them but I do not hate them. I belong to the Generation X cohort, we have cry baby big guy narcs, entitled career men and women. These new ones.. Well, they are special but in a bad way. There is a possibility that we were the same I do not remember. But today the young people are media-trained and socially outspoken.

What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 09:51PM

I think I like cats and dogs and Saucie, but in reverse order.

I didn't want to lead with my strength...

Date: February 20, 2021 05:00AM

Getting into some deontological question. Hair-thin lines between rights and conditions.

Posted by: Meme Guy ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 06:41AM

Ideologies are strange. We have people banging the "diversity" drum when we are the least diverse world in human history. It can be proven scientifically - languages are dying out at a rate of knots. Most languages are endangered. That is a more honest reflection of diversity than quotas and getting everyone to move around the world.

If you want a subjective view, go to any major city and they all look more and more the same.

Date: February 20, 2021 07:26AM

Agree. Everybody dig into their apps and exchange generalized and centrally produced culture. From land to land.

Saw a documentary about 1980s music and there was some questions on how it was so creative, iconic and still stand so strong in our culture. The answer was just that they back in those days took serious risks. They thought they heard creative and talented musicians and took a shot. Some producers said that today every content in a song is analyzed and put through same filters to create a certain dynamic experience they know people like to listen to.

There has been a craze for years now recreating 80s synth-music.

Example; The Weeknd - Blinding Lights

I think it says something about our times. It is not really postmodern but in some way an expression of creating some kind of discipline.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 10:06AM

Most people's idea of diversity is for more people to be like them, or all people I guess.

Mormons want everyone to be Mormon. The Born Agains want everyone to be born again. The Republicans want everyone to be Republican as the Democrats want everyone to be Democrat. The aged want the same old same old and the young want it all new.

So everyone is pitted against each other which makes the old Italian Proverb true: Tra i due litiganti il terzo gode--Two argue, a third wins.

Oldest story in the book.

What we have in common is too obvious to see.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 01:55PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So everyone is pitted against each other which
> makes the old Italian Proverb true: Tra i due
> litiganti il terzo gode--Two argue, a third wins.
===============================

Yabbut, gotta admit everyone getting along just fine would get pretty dull

;-)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 04:32PM

Yup. There truly is a down side to EVERYTHING. HAHA.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 10:38AM

but definitely young folks seem more isolated -- and this preceding "distance learning"

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/has-the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/

(Graphs interesting)

Isolated youngsters facing an overwhelmingly complex world while trying to navigate the transition to adulthood are prime prey for manipulative sociopaths promising false but easy deliverance i.e. cults

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 11:30AM

I think your ideology is not interesting.

Date: February 20, 2021 01:42PM

Probably not. But I think I can evolve in my thinking. Hope so.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 12:02PM

Kids today, sheesh. That’s why I want my life to be guided by 97-year-old men.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 04:06PM

Not sure with what parameters you are using the term "ego," but ego is the mode of consciousness in the embodied state. It's the notion that "I" am different and separate from others & that I deserve to survive (well, as a body) and get 'my' needs met more than others do. In non-human beings, this usually takes the form of a group-ego, but it's still the sense that 'our' tribe, hive, pack, species, etc. is different from other groups and has the right to survive at their expense.

It is hard to conceive of anything beyond ego, if the ego itself is doing the conceiving. To transcend ego is to graduate from this planet..."I" think (!).

Date: February 20, 2021 04:14PM

Ego needs to unionize!

Egos of the world, UNITE!! You have nothing to lose but your ids...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2021 04:14PM by elderolddog.

Date: February 20, 2021 04:20PM

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 04:20PM

What would be the ego union's stance on the superego?

And no, that is not a crappy psychology superhero.

Date: February 20, 2021 04:25PM

Find me someone who admits to not having a superego!

We all walk around hiding the superego that dwells within!

Don't cross me or my superego will emerge and WRECK YOU like you were yesterday's sandcastle! And I can do it, too!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 07:11PM

A person with an over-developed ego is an egoist or egotist.

What do you call someone with a exceptionally pronounced id?

I presume you are well situated to answer that question.

Date: February 20, 2021 07:23PM

...lemme see...

I don't presume that 'ego' senses danger and steps into a phone booth while frantically tearing at its clothing, then seconds later emerges as the superego, ... or supperego, in your case...

There is the id, and no other ideration!!

Date: February 20, 2021 07:27PM

Your views on the id reveal deep understanding of the concept, which might make you an expert on idiocy or perhaps an idiotic expert.

And that's even before the intersectionality!

Date: February 20, 2021 07:33PM

I learned early in life not to play on the intersectional; my mom was effusive in conveying her displeasure at such antics.

Momma didn't raise no id yet, we all mourn for what might have been, had my allowance been more substantial.

Date: February 20, 2021 07:43PM

Hey, $10 a week whether you brushed your teeth or not was a great deal back then.

Date: February 20, 2021 08:08PM

And I didn't have to buy my own food!!!

Date: February 21, 2021 02:13AM

No, your mom didn't raise no id yets.

At least not very many.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2021 02:14AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: February 20, 2021 04:22PM

It was something about self-assertive norms I do not understand.

Date: February 20, 2021 07:37PM

“It is hard to conceive of anything beyond ego, if the ego itself is doing the conceiving. To transcend ego is to graduate from this planet..."I" think (!).”

Rastafarians have a certain method for accessing the “I in I” although currently Jamaica has a “sacrament” shortage.

Date: February 20, 2021 07:44PM

Yet further substantiation that ghawd just isn't doing his job!

I bet he regrets making Gladys (and so many of us) so fecund.

Yeah, that's right! I'm saying Gladys is probably fecund. And I don't care who knows!!

Date: February 20, 2021 07:59PM

Gladys is fecund? I haven't been called that since the last thread on E=Mc^2!

Note: in this sentence the "!" is a mere exclamation point and not a mathematical symbol, so you may put your calculator back in your pocket next to the mechanical pencil.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2021 08:17PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: February 20, 2021 04:19PM

I am just thinking lots of nonsense everyday. Eating meds and struggle with sleeping problems. Do not remember what I ranted about. But there was a point, I remember that I wanted to state one.

Date: February 20, 2021 04:37PM

"Time crawls when you're very young.

"Then it speeds up, and there's never enough of it, what with all there is you have to do. It makes laggards of us all.

"Then the flow of time seems to regularize and you can set schedules and live by them.

"And then both the time and the body slow down; both become complacent, and both time and your body mock you when your accomplishments become harder to come by, or even remember.

"And then Time stops..."

--Jayne Mansfield, to the salesman who sold her the convertible

Date: February 20, 2021 04:55PM

The thing is that I have a hard time caring anymore. So there is truth in your post. Not depressed, not cynical, I do not see any idea doing almost anyhting. Can not watch sports, tv-series, movies, hardly listen to music. Work, career, who cares?

What really got me was being pushed out of major parts of the family tree because of reasons that did not make any sense. Invested 30-40 years in family relations and it was over in a year over reasons that did not make any sense.

Why would anything make any sense? So there is a freedom. But my capacity to stay aware is decaying.

Date: February 20, 2021 05:56PM

If only there weren't so goddam many of us!

It makes it difficult to single out people to care for...especially when they so often do things to prove themselves unworthy of the time we've invested.

Too many people want and expect a pay-off for 'caring'.

Life is messy. If it ever stops being messy, it'll probably lose its limited appeal...

Who knows? But too many people pretend they know.

Cauda, what can you do to make yourself tired? Being tired makes me feel good...

Date: February 21, 2021 02:08AM

Try to execise. Have a problem cutting caffeine. Headache, not worth it.

Date: February 20, 2021 07:46PM

Maybe you’re in mourning.

If my family disowned me for bogus reasons, I’d be like “Why didn’t you do this decades ago?”.

Date: February 21, 2021 02:10AM

There is a truth in it. You are right. The problem is that our ego, self-focus, do not not help our family in a more open world. We grew up in a more planned and socially controlled society. Our dissociation strategies to survive do not match todays tolerant society.

So what breaks us apart is freedom.

Date: February 21, 2021 02:16AM

Read that people that try to survive in dysfunctional contexts get more self-focused om the sense that they focus to much to long on their coping strategies that they forget many dimensions in their selves.

Date: February 21, 2021 11:23AM

The dark night of the soul is always darkest before the dawn.

Date: February 21, 2021 11:40AM

I've never liked "...just before the dawn..."

What about when the Earth has rotated to a point that has the sun 180 degrees around the circumference of the Earth from where you're standing?

How can that not be the darkest time of the night? And don't try to factor in the moon! The 'saying' doesn't so don't you try...

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 07:04PM

“If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.” Zen Buddhist Koan

Date: February 21, 2021 12:01AM

"Meeting the Buddha" implies duality, in which the ego would see the buddha mind as something other than oneself.

In a 2006 essay, Sam Harris wrote,

"The ninth-century Buddhist master Lin Chi is supposed to have said, 'If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.' Like much of Zen teaching, this seems too cute by half, but it makes a valuable point: to turn the Buddha into a religious fetish is to miss the essence of what he taught. In considering what Buddhism can offer the world in the twenty-first century, I propose that we take Lin Chi’s admonishment rather seriously. As students of the Buddha, we should dispense with Buddhism."

Although Sam Harris wasn't entirely wrong when he said one should "kill" a Buddha that is a "religious fetish," any conceptual understanding of "killing the Buddha" is going to fall short of what Linji was saying. To conceptualize non-duality or Buddha Nature is not the same as realization. As a Zen rule of thumb, if you can grasp it intellectually, you aren't there yet.

Date: February 21, 2021 01:03AM

So is or is not The Cat in trouble with the appropriate Master Zensters?

Or Murray Zenster?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.