Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 02:29AM

Of the local YSA apparently. He invited us to come to the service this Sunday but also said there was no pressure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2021 05:08AM by Cold-Dodger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 09:51AM

Well, that sucks. But maybe in that position he'll see more people questioning and bringing up troubling facts while asking for answers. And, this time he'll stop and think since it's not his own kids and therefore not at threatening.

Apologies for the Pollyanna moment.

My Dad was Bishop from when I was 8 until I was 19. Did all my interviews. Oh the look of relief on his face when I lied about you know what. Priceless. I feel so bad for the ones who didn't know to lie.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 10:32AM

> Oh the look of relief on his face
> when I lied about you know what.

Do you have any idea what he thought was going on all that time you would spend in the bathroom?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 11:22AM

The bathroom? Huhg? No. I did all my knitting and crocheting under the covers with a flashlight after everyone had gone to bed. He would have died if he knew I did that.

He thought I bought the doilies at a garage sale.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 12:44PM

Uh, whatcha doing there Son?

Making a doily,

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 08:21PM

And much laughter was heard emanating from the far corner of the homeless encampment.

Date: February 20, 2021 10:29AM

I'm glad I got to read the extended version of your post.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 10:57AM

Cold-Dodger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of the local YSA apparently. He invited us to come
> to the service this Sunday but also said there was
> no pressure.
Please accept these words as an expression of my deepest sympathy!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 11:28AM

Now even bishops are being recycled ?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 07:58PM

I was in a ward where the bishop was on his second tour and his first counselor was also former bishop of the ward.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 01:59PM

I have a cousin who was called three times (could be more now, I lost my news source for Mo family goings on) to be bishop of his ward.

My mom said it was because he was a spiritual giant. I figured it was because no-one else was capable or willing to do the job.

Date: February 20, 2021 08:20PM

Wow. I guess every wood must have its Eeyore.

Date: February 20, 2021 08:24PM

"Thanks fer noticing me..."

I love having this memory surface!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 10:03PM

I think that is the heart of it.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 04:10PM

Why is it folks keep saying "no pressure" when there is totally pressure? If your dad had just invited you and chief without trying to pressure you both, he wouldn't have needed to say "no pressure."

Date: February 20, 2021 04:42PM

What about the pressure on Bishop Dad?

He's being called to minister to a singles ward, and he's so 'good' at it that two of the priesthood holders he raised have quite the church.

...kind of like shopping for a new car and having the Toyota salesman tell you that Acura is the only car for him... There can be some momentary discombobulation...

Date: February 20, 2021 05:33PM

Well, Bishop Dad might have a cracked shelf and end up on here eventually.

Date: February 20, 2021 10:12PM

Hey, ookami, why did you name yourself "God?"

--Asking for a friend

Date: February 20, 2021 10:26PM

Is your middle name Jezebel...?

Date: February 20, 2021 10:32PM

On a good day.

Date: February 20, 2021 11:11PM

I didn't. I named myself "wolf." Always considered myself closer to an animal than a human being. And I'm not pretentious enough to name myself "God."

Date: February 20, 2021 11:13PM

I know. I was making fun of our Canadian troll, who is assuredly not my friend.

Date: February 20, 2021 11:19PM

I know too. I just wanted to clarify the meaning of my name since our mutual irritation started a smear campaign. Again.

Date: February 20, 2021 11:35PM

Did you see how after telling me Google and Wikipedia are useless, he proceeded to Google the topic of "kami" and found two unsigned blogs saying that the word kami "may have," or "is thought by some to have," originated in Ainu? Perhaps recognizing that those endorsements are not as resounding as his claims, he then added "lots of other sites" say the same thing.

We might have pointed out to him that Shinto is closely related to the indigenous religions of Korea and Mongolia and hence NOT the legacy of the Jomon culture, but it wouldn't have made an impression. He would probably have blamed us again for not realizing that the word "wolf" means "god" in English.

Anyway, thanks for the conversation. You are an interesting man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2021 11:43PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 07:30PM

Ask him what he did to deserve such a punishment.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 07:46PM

My 80-ish y/o friend is looking for a manual typewriter bc they called her to copy RS meeting minutes, and she is lousy on the computer.

Lousy on the computer, and completely worn out, but scared to death to say no, so she’ll bang out the minutes on a manual typewriter with her little osteoporotic hands.

TSCC looks for people who can’t say No.

Posted by: sgh ( )
Date: February 21, 2021 12:20AM

Really, the unpaid bishops is one of the highly abusive things the LDS leadership does to its members.

It lasts for several years sometimes and takes away so much valuable time from their families.

They are effectively doing a second job alongside supporting their families.

It's very hypocritical how the Mission Presidents and General Authorities and Twelve are highly paid, but bishops are not.

The LDS leadership sucks away all that tithing money and uses it to support an abusive nepotistic system to enrich themselves and their own families, while sending very little of it back to the wards.

The wards would be much better off if each of them was completely independent and controlled all their own finances and kept all of the tithing money local to help their own members. But then, it wouldn't really be a cult anymore, would it? A cult is all about the top leaders getting million dollar homes and expensive dinners, while the members get the equivalent peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and only if they're lucky.

When you think of it, most members get jack shit for thousands and sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars in lifetime tithing contributions, not to mention the time they spend in free labor for TSCC.

The bishop is one of the most abused this way, because the position is an enormous time burner as well as emotionally exhausting because he acts as an untrained counselor, often giving poor advice, and perhaps knowing it somewhere deep inside. All while being completely unpaid and neglecting his own family as a consequence.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 21, 2021 02:02AM

You would think one tour of duty would be plenty, wouldn't you?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.