Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 03:51AM

From time to time I go back to a 80s Prosperity Gospel preacher that was infamous in Sweden. I watch to learn how they in that church did mind manipulative tricks.

Someone has digitalized VHS tapes from that time and uploaded it on the internet. Most of it is introductory material. Lessons for young and older "lost"/unhappy people.

In common they have that they are new recruited people who want to do something with their life. Turn things around.

When I read Strickers book, especially this starting chapter, I have a tool to understand how cults work with open and closed systems.

https://www.exmormon.org/pattern/nature.htm

I see in the 80s clips that what the preacher does is that he starts off by devaluing the soul and start talking about the "special knowledge" that comes with the spirit.

The soul is mans way the spirit is Gods way.

So he says they are at the right place! Yes, welcome, here they will get results from their work, and they will see miracles, marvelous things happen in life. People will be blessed! But only if they learn Gods way. He insist on it. He never says they will be rich or become famous, but all those precious things will come as a result if their are truly honest in their dedication and really really repent. It is not especially that they should repent and turn to God, no, they are there to learn, they must learn, be really careful and listen, listen, listen. And on it goes.

So I sense that the focus point was to manipulate people to think more about the spirit-identity instead of the soul-identity. That is how the cult created their pattern.

Yes, everybody has a soul that church said, but the spirit is what separates wheat from the chaff. "We" have it, look how RICH we are! We get result but you as a member do not! You must listen to us more..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 08:43AM

Leading members of the Tardigrade community say nothing like the soul, or the spirit exists.

Only existence exists, they say, and it is temporary.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 08:02PM

Taligrades are the neo-atheists of antiquity.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 10:28PM

?

Date: February 22, 2021 10:34PM

Dave the Atheist, a modern antiquity ...

Date: February 22, 2021 10:43PM

I am a decrepit discrepancy.

Date: February 22, 2021 10:55PM

Repentancy ought to be involved, one Fay Wray or another.

Date: February 22, 2021 11:05PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> one Fay Wray or another.

That's not Fair, Debate!

Or is it?

Date: February 22, 2021 11:13PM

I'm not a master debater.

Date: February 22, 2021 11:16PM

No, but I've heard that during the long dark hwint-er you fashion great doilies.

Date: February 23, 2021 04:58AM

Just try to understand the counterintuitive thinking in humans who proclaim the faith of Jesus Christ according to the Gosepl.

1. Prosperity pastors says that God never tests people, only the devil does.

2. "Normal" christians says God surely does according to scripture

The Double Bind

Example 1. Not enough, not true faith, you must be a bad person, you must do more "work". Believe in your faith. All the bad luck is because of the devil.

2. You just can not understanding being shafted (suffering, sickness and hardship) is a blessing that will build your character, stop whining!

Date: February 23, 2021 08:58AM

Maybe not germane, but in the long-ago of the mid-20th century, there was a notion that mormon ghawd would never send you a test that you had no chance to pass.

So when some 'thing' took you away from the gospel, it was all your fault; ghawd had no hand in it.

Date: February 23, 2021 12:25PM

Ad hoc hypothesis/solution.

That is standard way to fill holes.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: February 23, 2021 12:43PM

If I recall correctly, and I'm too disinterested to look it up and verify, it's more than just a notion. It's based on a verse from the BoM and was taught heavily. Maybe it still is.

I've changed to be a follower of more colloquial truisms, like, "everyone has a breaking point" and its more useful cousin, "everyone has a price".

Date: February 23, 2021 05:56PM

Orale, Humberto...

The church may not actually teach that "everyone has a price" but we know that no one gets into the CK without a price being paid.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: February 25, 2021 08:34AM

This sounds like Gnosticism. Gnostics taught that you needed "special Knowledge", which was only to be had through them.

Gnosticism has made a comeback, in different forms. Jane Fonda reads and follows the Gnostic Gospels, because conservative Christians told her that she needed to give up her Abortion Rights activities if she wanted to be a Christian. She had had a "Jesus" spiritual experience, but wanted to continue being a pro-choice advocate. There are elements of Gnosticism in Mormonism, like the secret temple stuff with passwords. Many cults got some of their ideas from Gnosticism.

Date: February 25, 2021 08:45AM

It sounds Gnice!

I say, why Gnot?

Date: February 25, 2021 09:36PM

You are such a Gnat!

Date: February 25, 2021 10:46AM

Been into reading some texts about Copeland and his doctrines.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 25, 2021 11:00AM

"Prosperity gospel" is just a way for your religious leader to justify why he is living high on the hog and you aren't. They are always one step ahead in God Likes Me Best game which is what religion is.

"You don't have a mansion yet? Man, Satan must really have his hooks in you."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.