Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 06:55PM

I was just following a van and the bumper sticker said, "Pray the Rosary for World Peace."

I just can't get over everybody thinking God is finally going to do something about this mess and that gimmicks are the secret to it all. Beads, candles, incense, chants, Pay Lay Ale's in a circle in fancy dress. How long has this been going on now? How many millennia? Used to be you burned something on the altar to get God's favor. Perhaps if we went back to that he'd pay some attention finally?

Your child is lost in the woods? Let's all pray to God. If enough of us do it we might get his attention and then if we really lay on the praise he might help. Cuz God knows every hair on your child's head, but is unaware that she is hanging from a branch by a cliff after running from the boogey man.

And if you really want your Heavenly Father to listen, try fasting too besides begging on your knees. Never worked before, but always worth a try. And you can lose a few pounds.

Or put your friend's name, the one who has cancer, on the prayer roll at the temple. Cuz Heavenly father who loves all his children just might take a look at that one. Could happen, right? Oh, she died anyway? God must've needed her to be a missionary in heaven or else maybe the prayer didn't work because somebody in the prayer circle didn't have his baker's hat tied to the right shoulder.

All the religions got you supplicating like crazy, not just the Mormons. Thoughts and prayers for everyone! Yay! And don't forget if God doesn't answer, you can always try his mother--well if you got the rosary beads. Or all the saints. Maybe they can get his holy attention. And if not, they can get him some Ritalin.

All so desperate. The one that really gets me is praying for God to bless the surgeon who's going to operate. He's been to school,did an internship, knows your body inside out, how it works and understands the disease. He's all practiced up and ready to go. But he still needs you to pray to god to guide his hands.

God is nothing but a holy busy signal, if even that.

Prayer. You gotta have a gimmick though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 07:06PM

I don't mean anything political by this: Maybe that's why DJT enjoyed ardent support in some quarters? He appeared to make things happen.

For sure it's why Mario Puzo's Godfather was venerated.

Date: February 22, 2021 07:22PM

You're onto something there. Seriously.

Look at Senator Adam Kinzinger's family letter published in the NYT wherein they disowned him for turning against God and the proof of that was he went against DJT, stating that DJT was guided by God and that is why he, DJT was able to do miraculous things. Like what I"m not sure. Perhaps getting immaculate conception holes-in-one?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 07:32PM

I read "The Godfather" in one eight-hour stretch, in 1969. I refuse to see the movie(s) because no way can they put across all that content.

So I don't know if it's in the movie, where the Godfather, just starting out and making a name for himself in the burgeoning Italian immigrant community, holds a weekly evening assembly where people explain situations to him and he either tells them he can't help or that he'll see "wut weeze kin do".

He rises to power on the backs of these people because he gets things done for them that they can't do themselves, and they honor and protect him. And it escalates, all based on his willingness to get things done.

The book made a big impression on me.

I'm reasonably certain that Mr. Trump loved being called The Don because of what he felt it implied.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 07:39PM

You are suggesting that DJT is a low-rent mobster? Roy Cohn would sue you, or Michael Cohen threaten your life, if he heard you say that.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 07:10PM

I sometimes ask my departed family members for help. I figure that someone needs to keep them occupied. ;)

Date: February 22, 2021 07:12PM

Haha. Love you summer.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 07:45PM

I saw the powerof the priesthood when my wife had lung cancer
The bishop gave her a blessing saying it was OK for her to go ahead and die which she did
I have never in my 85 years on this planet witnessed a single instance in which somebody was cured by a priesthood blessing of a disease that they would not have recovered from
Just saying

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2021 07:47PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 09:39PM

My TBM friend ends her texts with, "angels on your pillow." Makes me crazy. Why aren't the damn angels helping me? One shitty thing after another keeps happening.

The same TBM friend likes to tell me that she put my name on the prayer roll. I'm sure that if anything good happens to me she will be sure to take credit for it.

I don't see anything really wrong with it if it makes her feel good. It drives me crazy though so I have limited my contact with her.

It must be nice to live in a fantasy world.

Posted by: forgotmyname ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 09:55PM

"God is nothing but a holy busy signal."

Love it.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 10:15PM

Prayer is the gimmick.
There's a time delay...

Usually a lifetime

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 23, 2021 05:45AM

Date: February 23, 2021 10:00AM

Zing! Memorable that one.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 23, 2021 09:55AM

a block away from me--of all places, we have Baptists, Catholics, and a JW building all within a mile or 2 of my house in little Hyrum, Utah--the stake center is further away than the Baptists and the Catholics and I can walk to the stake center easily). I got off track there. I always do.

I see the signs that say something about "God can fix anything"--not in those words. I always think, "Oh sure." You might have an idea of how much fasting and praying I did over my boyfriend/husband and he's still gay. Glad he is. I realized from this board that if he is no longer gay, the unique person he is disappears as we should all know by now that gay is about the whole person and not about SEX.

I do talk to my parents who passed away 12 years ago. After one of those signs at the Baptist church said something that made me realize that I know my parents and I don't know God if there is one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2021 09:56AM by cl2.

Date: February 23, 2021 10:09AM

Yes. Your parents. A cherished mentor. Even your dogs. At least you know they would listen, would soothe---if they could. And, maybe they can. Who knows? And their only gimmick would be love.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: February 23, 2021 11:06AM

"Thoughts and Prayers" which I have come to understand means: "You're fucked and there's nothing I can or will do for you".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.