Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 23, 2021 09:34AM

https://www.politicalflare.com/2021/02/right-wing-pastor-says-texas-storm-was-scientifically-impossible-and-blames-weather-manipulation/

Message to Coach-Minister Dave Daubenmire of “Pass the Salt Ministries.” Go outside your house, look up in the sky. That thing you see is called “weather.” If you have “weather” above your home, it is – by definition, scientifically possible.

Sorry, we had to “clear up” (ha ha) a few terms before we set out former Texas coaching legend, turned minister/conspiracy theorist Dave Daubenmire’s latest. This is the guy who sued the NFL for having Shakira perform at halftime. A lot of us thought that the halftime show was bad and probably in bad taste, but we didn’t think it was something to sue about. Besides, a lawsuit like that would be like an admission that we are not able to control ourselves and our urges and we expect the nanny-state to do it for us.

If it sounds like we’re talking in Dave Daubenmire language, we are. This guy is such a loon that his eyes are red and he swims funny. His latest is that he watched a video which he says proved that the storm that hit Texas was “scientifically impossible” and therefore was a product of manipulation. Daubenmire is correct in saying it was a bad storm, he listed off some of the victims, “cows, pigs, and goats,” not once saying “people caught by surprise that the power grid failed for the second time in ten years in a state run by Republican.” He won’t go there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: February 23, 2021 09:38AM

God did it

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 23, 2021 01:55PM

Because they hate the gays.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 23, 2021 02:06PM

Canada did it. They were insulted at being called a national security threat to justify aluminum tariffs.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 26, 2021 02:53PM

Sure why not!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 23, 2021 03:29PM

Bill Gates did it. With an assist from George Soros.

It's a plot to deprive magaRomney of his constitutional rights, bodily fluids, and spelling.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: February 23, 2021 03:41PM

Somewhere under the ocean off the coast of Corpus Christi, there is a a very evil man and his henchmen in a palacial underwater mansion that houses the weather manipluation machine.

Only James Bond can save us now!

But I suppose EOD and LW could fill in and would suffice in a pinch.

Date: February 23, 2021 03:48PM

The Most Interesting Man in the World could do it.

He could do it before breakfast while completing the NYT crossword puzzle and balancing a plate on his nose.

Me? I'd just provide the cookies and punch.

Date: February 23, 2021 04:21PM

>> Me? I'd just provide the cookies and punch.

Of course you would....thats what Bond girls do best! Show 'em some sweet cookies, then punch them! Now get busy, you have a state to save....even if its Texas!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 23, 2021 07:14PM

I dunno. I think it had to do with space lasers and gay marriage.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: February 23, 2021 07:39PM

I think it's Nature doing what it does naturally, keeping balance. Natural disasters are not evil. They're unfortunate for those who live in the path of violent storms, or Earthquakes, Tsunamis, lightning bolts, floods, fires, etc, but that doesn't make nature evil. It's just doing what it does and we either need to move to areas that are less dangerous to us, deal with it, or suffer the consequences.
Texas had 10 years since the last power outage due to frozen instruments at their power plants, to get their shit together. Instead they deregulated their power grid and made it so that people would get $12,000 electrical bills after predictable disasters like what just happened.
Instead of Texans blaming the Green New Deal, which doesn't exist, or some bizzaro world conspiracy theory, maybe they should take some of the money they made on jacking up the price of electricity by 1000% and use it to put heat tracing on their GD instruments.

Date: February 23, 2021 07:43PM

More tautology.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 12:56AM

The Natural Man is not the enemy of ghawd and can ride a unicycle.

Date: February 24, 2021 11:07AM

Who said nature is evil? And how could nature be evil if nature is god?

And how could god be nature if it kills anyone in its path, regardless of faith, well doing, ect? Oh, wait....that's what god does best.

Date: February 24, 2021 12:34PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who said nature is evil? And how could nature be
> evil if nature is god?
>
> And how could god be nature if it kills anyone in
> its path, regardless of faith, well doing, ect?
> Oh, wait....that's what god does best.

Atheists argue that the existence of natural evil challenges belief in the existence, omnibenevolence, or omnipotence of God or any deity. Michael Martin, Atheism: A Philosophical Justification (Temple University Press, 1992), 412.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_evil#Nature_of_natural_evil

Nature of natural evil
Moral evil results from a perpetrator, usually a person that engages in vice, either through intention or negligence. Natural evil has only victims, and is generally taken to be the result of natural processes. The "evil" thus identified is evil only from the perspective of those affected and who perceive it as an affliction. Examples include cancer, birth defects, tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, and other phenomena which inflict suffering with apparently no accompanying mitigating good. Such phenomena inflict "evil" on victims with no perpetrator to blame.

In the Bible, God is portrayed as both the ultimate creator and perpetrator, since the “sun, moon and stars, celestial activity, clouds, dew, frost, hail, lightning, rain, snow, thunder, and wind are all subject to God's command.”

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 05:14PM

> Natural Evil: Natural evil
> has only victims, and is
> generally taken to be the
> result of natural processes.
>
> The "evil" thus identified
> is evil only from the per-
> spective of those affected
> and who perceive it as an
> affliction.
>
> Examples include cancer,
> birth defects, tornadoes,
> earthquakes, tsunamis,
> hurricanes, and other
> phenomena which inflict
> suffering with apparently
> no accompanying mitigating
> good. Such phenomena inflict
> "evil" on victims with no
> perpetrator to blame.

So you ARE an advocate of the Bell-Shaped Curve! Good on you! I think it was your use of "natural" that was throwing me off. No one calls 'Math' natural; he has to be discovered. The existence of the Bell-Shaped Curve is difficult to discern because most of us just don't have the scope to take "it" all in.

Maybe we're on our way to being besties?

Date: February 26, 2021 01:16PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> So you ARE an advocate of the Bell-Shaped Curve!
> Good on you! I think it was your use of "natural"
> that was throwing me off. No one calls 'Math'
> natural; he has to be discovered. The existence
> of the Bell-Shaped Curve is difficult to discern
> because most of us just don't have the scope to
> take "it" all in.
>
> Maybe we're on our way to being besties?

I think you're confusing me with Wikipedia, which I was quoting to answer the question Roy G Biv asked, 'who said nature is evil?'
Atheists.
I'm not an atheist.
I don't think nature is evil, or profoundly immoral.
It's amoral. It doesn't care if we live or die, any more than any other specie on the planet.
And I don't believe that evil is natural.
It's a manmade concept tied to a vague notion of "morality" which doesn't exist in nature. All of those examples, cancer, birth defects, tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes inflict suffering on innocent people, but it's not 'evil'. Nature doesn't follow moral laws invented by humans. It follows natural laws and when we we are out of balance with those laws, we suffer the consequences, which is often responsible for causing suffering and forces us to adapt to change.
Don't like Earthquakes, tsunamis, tornadoes or hurricanes? Move to somewhere they're less likely to occur.
Don't like pandemics?
Quit eating mammals that carry deadly diseases that can jump species!

Date: February 26, 2021 02:40PM

Note how Scat volunteered the link to the definition. That significantly increases the likelihood that the quotation is genuine. If he were dissimulating, he'd self-consciously hide his source as he did in the other thread.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.