Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bettydee ( )
Date: February 27, 2021 04:55PM

I am visiting in Apalachicola Fl. (90 miles from Tallahassee) on the next block where I am staying, there is an LDS Branch Chapel for sale . It is listed with a local realtor , and a real estate for sale sign is in front of the building .

Would the corporation just shut down a chapel and sale it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Simple Jack ( )
Date: February 27, 2021 05:02PM

bettydee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am visiting in Apalachicola Fl. (90 miles from
> Tallahassee) on the next block where I am staying,
> there is an LDS Branch Chapel for sale . It is
> listed with a local realtor , and a real estate
> for sale sign is in front of the building .
>
> Would the corporation just shut down a chapel and
> sale it?

They have done this in a few cases I know of. Remember they usually have plumbing etc. Other churches buy them, and I've seen them used as kindergartens and offices.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 27, 2021 05:24PM

My wardhouse was sold to a competing religion.

Posted by: EsstBayGuy ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 09:41PM

Actually it’s quite common for Funeral Homes to have a non-competition cause in their deeds so if the home is ever sold the new owner cannot use it for a funeral home. This help prevents new companies from moving into the trade area. Some event centers have a similar clause.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 27, 2021 05:31PM

When the 'original' Queen Anne / Seattle First Ward chapel was sold, ChurchCo wanted to put a stipulation in the deal that it couldn't be used to sell liquor or some such rubbish;

That didn't fly very high, IDK if it went to court or ?

talk about not letting go!

I visited with a gf in SLC (she lives on Westminister, 2100 block) a very nice older building, she tells me that ChurchCo tore it down, I didn't ask if they put a new building on the site or ?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 03, 2021 03:48PM

A former mormon church repurposed to house spirits? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: February 27, 2021 06:05PM

If you buy one of these chapels, do you have it exorcized and blessed by a priest before or after the closing? ;)

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: February 27, 2021 08:06PM

Yes, they do it. Years ago a chapel in Salt Lake, near 9th South and a bit West of the main route was sold and became a photo Studio for a Playboy photographer.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 02, 2021 07:13PM

A long standing branch building just north of Lethbridge was sold to an evangelical congregation some years back.

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: March 02, 2021 07:24PM

Happens all the time.

The "stake tabernacle" (what they now would call a "stake center") in my home town was sold and is now a mortuary. The ward building on the adjacent lot was torn down and it is now the parking lot for the mortuary.

The ward building I attended when I was living in Provo is now a "wedding chapel".

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 03, 2021 02:06AM

Salt Lake Acting Company, home of Saturday's Voyeur (Utah satire) is in a former ward building.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 03, 2021 03:47PM

As kid, I wanted the Everett, WA building for my house. It was "custom" in that it wasn't the cookie cutter style they make now. The chapel would have been my living room, it had a full kitchen, gym, stage, showers, baptism font for a bathtub, and lots of rooms.

Posted by: Jethro ( )
Date: March 03, 2021 10:58PM

Thats an awesome area, love the coastline drive in florida along highway 98. Where I live when we upgraded to new building they sold the old to another church.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 10:47AM

A used building has lots of rooms and therefore would make a great house of ill repute don't ya think!

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 10:57AM

A favorite program I like to stream is Escape to the Country which is made by the BBC. The premise is finding houses for people wanting to leave the city life for the quiet of the British countryside. Quite often is seems they feature old stone church buildings that have been converted into some amazing living spaces. Most, unlike old LDS chapels, have character and substance from an earlier age that make them desirable.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 11:06AM

> Most old Mexicans, unlike old
> White men, have character and
> substance from an earlier age
> that make them desirable.

I think ghawd was somehow involved!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 11:47AM

Well God does have a Spanish name, Jesus.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 12:53PM

Hayseus Hache Cristo...?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 02:06PM

Crisco?

Why in heaven's name would God bake with Crisco?

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 01:14PM

I am having a slow day. ??

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 01:24PM

Slightly OT, but the LDS building near UC Berkeley doesn't look like it was originally a Mo' project. It's a beautiful California Mission style building.

By which, I mean it has character. Back before correlation?

Posted by: Lisa von und zu Liechtenstein ( )
Date: March 07, 2021 09:28AM

Same thing for the LDS building that I saw in Santa Barbara...

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: March 07, 2021 11:30AM

Not uncommon. When I lived in Amsterdam, NY, there used to be an LDS chapel in town. The branch was shut down and combined with the Gloversville, NY branch and the Amsterdam building was sold. Also when I was growing up in New Hampshire, the Claremont, NH ward had a new chapel built across the river in Ascutney, VT and the old Claremont ward building was sold and converted into a restaurant (it was not a typical LDS style building).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.