Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 28, 2021 03:37AM

My husband had to leave town for the next three weeks. Everything in Germany is locked down right now, but business travel is allowed. So he's gone to Bavaria, and I'm sitting here alone. I've been working a lot on my guitar lately and not doing as much singing, but felt inspired last night as I watched an awesome livestream of Lyle Lovett and Vince Gill. They were zooming, I guess, trading stories and songs for about 90 minutes.

One of the songs Vince sang was "Whenever You Come Around", which was inspired by his wife, Amy Grant, when they first met. I had heard it before, but his take last night was so pretty that I decided to try it myself. I'm not quite ready to play it on guitar, but thanks to Chordify, I may be ready sooner than I imagined.

I also found myself playing along with Lyle and Vince as they sang "If I Needed You" by Townes Van Zandt. I may be able to do that one sooner. The capo is a wonderful thing.

I took some videos of our dogs, Noyzi (big one) and Arran (sugar faced spotted one) as they visit with our neighbor's lab puppy, who keeps trying to invade our garden. I added a few pics of Bill and Arran as they were saying goodbye yesterday.

I hate these marathon TDYs, especially during a pandemic. My husband says the proprietor of the hotel where he's staying has already had COVID-19. Bavaria is more of a hot spot than Hesse is... Hopefully, he won't bring anything home when he gets back here in mid March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjC_m20kcYY

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 28, 2021 03:41AM

By the way... I told my husband I'd probably buy myself a new toy while he's gone... so this morning, I bought a new vacuum. ;)

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 01, 2021 11:22AM

Speaking of capo's....do you have a "shorty" capo? If not, its a small 3 string capo that goes over the A, D and G strings. Used mainly on the 2nd, 4th, or 7th fret, it creates an open tuning sound and many common chord shapes can be used with it. You can also use a regular capo behind it to transpose the key, keeping the shorty 2,4 or 7 frets above the regular capo.

I bought one a few yeas back, popped it on the 4th fret, found some chord shapes that worked and within a short while had a new song, a keeper too. Also have a song using it on the 2nd fret, another keeper.

If you don'y have one, get one! Also, I have demos of both songs I could email you if you are interested or if would like to share tips for playing. I think we can swap emails via the admin to keep them private.

Date: March 01, 2021 12:06PM

I don’t have a shorty capo, but it sounds like something I need... as I continue to struggle with barre chords!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 01, 2021 01:17PM

Don't mention 'shorty capo' in Little Italy...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 01, 2021 04:42PM

Excellent point, Don Jesus.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 01, 2021 05:18PM

I'm guessing he would be an expert on the subject.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 01, 2021 05:26PM

Just don't tell him, "It's not personal, it's only business."

I once saw him react badly to that.

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/hector-salamanca-gif-9.gif

Date: March 04, 2021 03:30PM

Shorty capo is here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.