Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 01, 2021 11:17AM

I remember teaching an Elders’ Quorum lesson more than twenty years ago where we discussed the 12th Article of Faith:

“We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.”

I also quoted D&C 58:21 “Let no man break the laws of the land, for he that keepeth the laws of God hath no need to break the laws of the land.”

I said “so we should always obey the law, right?” I then asked “Who here has heard of Rosa Parks?” At the time, one of the full-time missionaries assigned to our ward was an African-American. Sadly, he was the only one who (at least immediately) recognized the name Rosa Parks. I said “What Rosa Parks did broke the law, but was it wrong?” After a short silence, somebody mumbled “well if the law is unjust…”

Since I was dealing with an (other than the one missionary) all white, upper middle class, suburban group, I probably should have gone with the Boston Tea Party, rather than Rosa Parks. That would have been a slightly different discussion, because even if you believe that the actions of those who participated in the Boston Tea Party were justified, you really couldn’t argue that the actual laws that were broken (trespassing and destruction of property) were unjust. In any case, the scriptures don’t say “obey, honor, and sustain the law, unless you have a really good reason,” or “you have no need to break the law, unless you think it’s unjust.” The scriptures clearly say obey the law. I personally feel that there are times where moral and/or practical factors would lead someone to conclude that breaking a law is the wise or “right” thing to do, but there is no such consideration in the scriptures.

If I had been slightly less TBM at the time, I could have brought up the fact that Joseph Smith, and his inner circle, broke the law when they practiced polygamy.

Like so much in Mormonism (or religion in general) clear, unambiguous teachings are ignored when it is convenient to do so.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: March 01, 2021 02:49PM

Here's my take on the hypocrisy of the 12th AoF:

This appears to be an implementation of Jesus' admonition "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's..." and portrays Mormons as law-abiding citizens. To the extent that Mormons have practiced this principle, it enabled German Mormons, for example, to survive in Germany during the Nazi dictatorship, since they obediently obeyed the laws promulgated by the Nazi government (while some other religious groups, like the Jehovah's Witnesses, were severely persecuted for refusing obedience).

On the other hand, when it was not convenient for Mormons to obey the law, they often flouted it, sometimes quite openly. Examples:

Joseph Smith performed many marriages without proper authorization from the civil government to do so.

Joseph Smith entered into numerous polygamous marriages in violation of the criminal laws at the time forbidding bigamy.

Joseph Smith set up a bank in Ohio without a banking license from the state, for which he was fined.

At the time of his death, Smith was in prison on a charge stemming from his illegal destruction of a printing press owned by his critics.

When laws were passed by the U.S. government forbidding the practice of polygamy in the late 19th century, the Mormons continued to practice it, asserting that the "law of God" superceded any human law. After the church formally renounced the practice in 1890, in accordance with the law (in order to gain Utah's admission to the Union), many church officials continued secretly to disobey the law by performing polygamous marriages and by entering into such marriages themselves.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 01, 2021 03:15PM

We believe in obeying the law of the land, unless we don’t believe we are subject to the laws, then we’ll stage a deadly insurrection and get away with it because we’re privileged white folks!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2021-02-09/idaho-ammon-bundy%3F_amp%3Dtrue

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: March 01, 2021 03:26PM

I'm not a lawyer, but it is my understanding that the Mountain Meadows Massacre could also be construed as "illegal." Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong…

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 01, 2021 05:38PM

I’m not an attorney (nor do I play one on TV), but I believe you are correct. In most jurisdictions, attacking and slaughtering a group of people is illegal.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 01, 2021 04:26PM

I wonder what might have occurred had Brigham Young thought of the concept of "sanctuary" cities, counties, states for polygamists.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 01, 2021 04:38PM

He did.

That's why the Mormons went to Utah when it was still part of Mexico. It's also how the Mormon colonies in today's Mexico and Canada were started.

And in Utah, the church would warn the polygamists when the authorities were coming so they could relocate to the mountains and wait it out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.