Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: librarian ( )
Date: March 04, 2021 11:05AM

Recently some relatives of mine used the SL airport. The expansion has six walkways to get from the gates to the baggage area.
Who is financing this huge airport addition, and why does the government expect SL to increase population to 100,000 in coming years?
Taxpayers? Private capital?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 04, 2021 11:08AM

Jesus

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 04, 2021 01:39PM

Um, the population of SLC is already about 350,000, the SL Valley is just over a million, and the entire Wasatch Front is roughly two million. I don't know what population projections are, but growth along the WF of a couple hundred thousand per decade sounds pretty reasonable. That would be about one percent per year.

Not sure why having six walkways has your shorts in a bunch. Would you be ok with two walkways? I assume it will be paid for by airline fees and parking fees and restaurant concession fees, same as every other airport. Presumably since SLC is a major hub airport where a lot of the passengers are not from here and are just changing planes, the airline fees will bring in a lot of outside money.

I don't know how the expansion is being financed, but it doesn't appear to be much of a hot button issue. The legislature spent much of its time arguing about transgender athletes, so that seems to be what people really care about. (Yes, sarcasm)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 04, 2021 01:54PM

When I went to my father's funeral it had only been 6 months since I had gone there in the summer. The walking I had to do was 3-4 times greater. The place is mammoth in comparison now.

Such a hassle.(Yes, sarcasm)

Well, I guess I should complain about Denver since we almost missed our second leg flight because of all the construction and that place is mammoth as well but is always has been.

Posted by: librarian ( )
Date: March 04, 2021 04:03PM

O.K., I have not used the SL airport lately only relaying opinion of others with small kids.
Evidently the airport was old and in need of improvement, so a new one was built with updated features, like a waiting room for families welcoming missionary people back.(Google)A very Mormon feature unique to SL?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 04, 2021 09:35PM

Rumor going around is that every kid will want to serve a mission when profit Bednar begins his reign of terror.

Bigger airport means more mormon missionaries with their gala send-offs and homecomings.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: March 04, 2021 11:41PM

The airport is financed though the airlines, mostly Delta, and Federal grants for airport upgrades. Only the 1st phase has been completed. The 2nd phase will have a mid-way access point to the gates. But for now, it's a long haul to get around. When it's finished, it will be done right.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.