Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 04, 2021 10:31PM

...but don't believe in evolution.

This doesn't make any sense.
But then, not much does with them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 04, 2021 10:32PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 04, 2021 10:33PM

Nope. The fundamentalists are defending the smart Neanderthals.

Date: March 04, 2021 10:37PM

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 11, 2021 08:38PM

neanderthal chicks ~

total smoke shows in the sack ~

ziller can confirm ~

~\|||/~
(•_•)/
<)/)
/-\

genes do not matter ~

plz do not be racisst OPie ~

is your dog pure bread ? ~

*ʕ•͓͡•ʔ-̫͡-ʕ•̫͡•ʔ*

neanderthal chicks ~

wore turkey feather panties ~

proven by science ~

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)

cover your eyes ~

quod erat demonstrandum ~

they had no razors ~

(⌐■_■)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 18, 2021 10:37AM

You better be saving all these to publish in a smart little book.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: March 04, 2021 10:50PM

It was a racist comment to begin with

also sapiens didn't evolve from neanderthals

Date: March 04, 2021 10:53PM

anonyXmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was a racist comment to begin with

No, it wasn't. White people calling white people "stupid" is not a racist comment.

--------------
> also sapiens didn't evolve from neanderthals

Not sure what to make of that statement. Are you under the atavistic impression that you don't carry Neanderthal DNA?

Normally that would be a rhetorical question. . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2021 11:00PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: March 05, 2021 12:15AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
---------------------------------------------
> No, it wasn't. White people calling white people
> "stupid" is not a racist comment.

Yes it is if it's grouping a bunch of people together into a stereotype, doesn't matter who said it

> > also sapiens didn't evolve from neanderthals
>
> Not sure what to make of that statement. Are you
> under the atavistic impression that you don't
> carry Neanderthal DNA?

My statement was pretty clear. I didn't say h. sapiens sapiens don't have some h. sapiens neanderthalensis DNA but they existed approximately around the same time

Date: March 10, 2021 12:14PM

anonyXmo Wrote:

> Yes it is if it's grouping a bunch of people
> together into a stereotype, doesn't matter who
> said it

Nope. An insult based on the action of people--reopening in a pandemic--rather than race, it's not a racial stereotype. "BYU grads are poorly educated" is not racist; nor is "democratic activists are assholes." Nor is "acrobats swing like monkeys."

--------------
> My statement was pretty clear. I didn't say h.
> sapiens sapiens don't have some h. sapiens
> neanderthalensis DNA but they existed
> approximately around the same time

Yes, that statement is clear. It is also erroneous.

Some of your physical characteristics stem from Neanderthals just as others stem from your parents. You are an evolutionary product of your genes, which include DNA from Neanderthals.

Since all humans but those who live in sub-Saharan Africa carry Neanderthal DNA, calling you a Neanderthal is not racist. It may be sloppy, but it is not racist.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 04, 2021 11:31PM

anonyXmo Wrote:
>

Neanderthals were Sapiens.

"Neanderthals, traditionally designated Homo sapiens neanderthalensis, were not only “human” but also, it turns out, more “modern” than scientists previously allowed." According to Smithsonian Institute.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/rethinking-neanderthals-83341003/
We were not the first Sapiens. They predated us by about 200,000years in Europe alone. Before them there was
Homo Sapiens Idaltu, which also predated Homo Sapiens Sapiens.
Eurasians have on average 2% Neanderthal DNA.
If they were able to produce fertile offspring, then they were the same species, different sub-species.
Kind of like Coyotees and Wolves, they're both dogs, but different sub species of dogs that can interbreed and produce fertile offspring, like domestic dogs.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 05:18PM

Interesting. Back in the Stone Age, when I took Physical Anthropology, Neanderthals were classified as "Homo sapiens neanderthalensis".

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 14, 2021 04:33PM

The Stone Age - haha.

Date: March 14, 2021 04:45PM

Archaeologists: Dangerously close to Neanderthals

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 14, 2021 08:17PM

anonyXmo Wrote:
>

That is true. Homo sapiens were a genetic experiment of ancient astronauts!!!!!!

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: March 14, 2021 08:36PM

uhmuhgad

Date: March 05, 2021 12:10AM

Right I should've wrote h. sapiens sapiens (two sapiens) did not evolve from h. sapiens neanderthalensis because they lived more or less around the same time period

of course Biden was only revealing his own ignorance since he clearly meant the remark as an insult not as a compliment

Date: March 05, 2021 12:15AM

anonyXmo Wrote:
> Right I should've wrote h. sapiens sapiens (two
> sapiens) did not evolve from h. sapiens
> neanderthalensis because they lived more or less
> around the same time period

You "should have written" that HSS did evolve from, among other groups, Homo Neanderthalensis because that would be accurate. Unless, of course, you are like magaRomney and don't think DNA evidence should be admitted in a court of law.

--------------
> of course Biden was only revealing his own
> ignorance since he clearly meant the remark as an
> insult not as a compliment

Uh, the remark was an insult. When someone calls you a loon, they are not actually saying you are a loud aquatic bird; nor are they saying you evolved from loud aquatic birds. They are saying you are not very bright.

So Biden was engaged in perfectly normal use of hyperbole to make a point.

Date: March 05, 2021 12:24AM

anonyXmo Wrote:
> Right I should've wrote h. sapiens sapiens (two
> sapiens) did not evolve from h. sapiens
> neanderthalensis because they lived more or less
> around the same time period

They did co-exist, but Neanderthals predated Homo Sapiens Sapiens by 200,000 years in Europe.
When they first went to Europe, we were still Homo Sapiens Idaltu in Africa and or Homo Heidelbergensis, the predecessor of Homo Sapiens, who was widespread in Europe, Asia and Africa 700,000-200,000 years ago.

> of course Biden was only revealing his own
> ignorance since he clearly meant the remark as an
> insult not as a compliment

I thought it was hilarious, especially given the context.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 07, 2021 04:40PM

I "wince" over the pronunciation as "nee-an-der-thal" rather than "nee-an-der-tall," but that's a matter of personal preference. Ah, I see there are others who use the latter as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p8tFcIQ8K4

Population said to be 2-3,000 over the whole of Europe... Date of their "extinction" is given as ~42,000 years ago.

Short interval of nausea over the producer's use of turkey feathers for a Neandtherthal headdress... Definitely oxymoronic...

Date: March 07, 2021 05:06PM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
> Definitely oxymoronic...

I think you mean "atavistic."

Date: March 07, 2021 09:49PM

Turkeys are native to the New World and weren't found in the Eastern hemisphere until after 1492...

Your use of "atavistic" is laughable. Webster's gives a definition of "relating to or characterized by reversion to something ancient or ancestral."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 07, 2021 05:11PM

Hey Cabbie, how are things going for you? Still driving a cab? I hope that all is well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2021 05:11PM by summer.

Date: March 15, 2021 01:23PM

I replied once, but somebody decided to "answer for me," and some posts were removed.

Right now I'm retired, but I'm bored a lot, and that may be subject to change.

Date: March 07, 2021 05:22PM

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00445-x

Bernard Wood explores a claim that our nearest cousins were our cognitive equals — and that birds had a part to play in that.

he Smart Neanderthal: Bird Catching, Cave Art, and the Cognitive Revolution Clive Finlayson Oxford University Press (2019)

The stereotype of Neanderthals as uncreative and unintelligent is remarkably persistent. In The Smart Neanderthal, archaeologist Clive Finlayson challenges that view. His assessment is informed by archaeological evidence, including his own decades-long research on groups of Homo neanderthalensis that lived on and around the Rock of Gibraltar from 125,000 to just over 30,000 years ago. Intriguingly, birds form a significant part of his argument.

Finlayson, director of the Gibraltar Museum since 1991, takes aim at researchers who have interpreted the archaeological record of Neanderthals as suggesting that the species never attained the brain power of contemporary Homo sapiens. Sure, Neanderthals get marks for surviving at a time when the cold climate brought tundra conditions to most of Europe. But the conventional wisdom is that the modern humans who moved into Europe soon after leaving Africa some time in the past 50,000 to 70,000 years had already raised their cognitive game a notch or two, thus enabling them to prosper and eventually outwit their Neanderthal cousins.

Gibraltar lies at the southwestern edge of Neanderthals’ geographical range. Finlayson argues that discoveries his team has made at four main cave sites suggest that the species’ behavioural repertoire was more sophisticated than the popular caricature suggests. He says that the Neanderthals living there had access to, and took advantage of, a much wider range of resources than their northerly cousins, including rich avian biodiversity. And he posits that an archaeologist not familiar with animal behaviour would be unable to decipher the Gibraltar Neanderthals’ cognitive parity with modern humans.

When Neanderthals occupied the Gibraltar caves, sea levels were lower. The hominins shared their habitat with a much wider variety of animals, particularly birds, than is seen today. Fragile bird bones survive well in the relatively protected atmospheres of caves, and the fossils recovered sample 160 avian species. That covers 30% of the avian species known from Europe for the time, ranging from the pine grosbeak (Pinicola enucleator, a finch), to ducks, choughs, larks, gannets, eagles and vultures. Finlayson suggests that tool marks left on the bones indicate that some of the species on Gibraltar were processed for food or, more controversially, for their feathers. He reminds us that birds come in many shapes and sizes, with a variety of behaviours and responses to humans, which implies that their exploitation would have required sophisticated knowledge. But he goes further, arguing that this knowledge was comparable to that drawn on by modern birders.

Not all of Finlayson’s inferences (including this one) are logically sound, and The Smart Neanderthal would have benefited from some editorial ‘tough love’. His point about the neglect of avian evidence is well taken, however. So is his reflection that most of the humdrum things we do daily do not necessarily reflect our cognitive potential. His findings from Gibraltar — with those by anthropologist Dirk Hoffmann and his colleagues suggesting that Neanderthals decorated the walls of three caves in Spain — might have exposed a cognitively advanced side of our Neanderthal cousins.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 07, 2021 05:46PM

Here's my very important opinion that ALL of you need to read and then thank me for sharing something that NEEDED to be said to exmos and their fans who are recovering or thinking about recovering, or just here for the view:

Neanderthals drank themselves into extinction!

Now I'm not a licensed anthropologist, but it's okay because I'm not charging any of you a dime. I am literally, and even figuratively, GIVING this away! And it's not because I'm trying to impress any of you. I'll do this shtick ANYWHERE I can get attention...I mean where I can help!

A good friend of mine, whom I met when I was doing important things in important places, perhaps you've heard of him, biomolecular archaeologist Patrick McGovern (he says, 'call me Pat!' but he deserves so much more!) thinks that Neanderthals would get tipsy consuming fermented breakfast cereal fruits.

As another long-time good buddy, biologist Robert Dudley, posits, our frugivorous primate ancestors have been associating a cold beer with nutritional reward (by way of carbohydrates and calories associated with the ethanol); he calls this the 'Drunken Monkey' hypothesis.

I think I am not out of line to be the creator of the notion that hunter-gatherers in any species of Homo Whateveris, at least those that live in areas where fruits were more likely to naturally ferment, may have sought fermented fruits for psychotropic effects or nutritional benefits.

This is based on the formula, Alcohol = Good Times, with the Equal Sign meaning good, with one 'o' missing, but I've yet to determine which 'o' was removed! You don't want to disrespect an 'o', especially when you're fond of the Big 'O'!

And yes, I am aware that the earliest KNOWN evidence of drinking on the job dates back to about 9,000 BN (before now) but in my heart of hearts I think Neanderthals were lushes and ended up being fired from the Earth for always calling in sick on Mondays.

And please remember, I am your source and I know that you think very, very highly of me because of my willingness to share of my knowledge with you.

I bless you all with a strong internet signal, asking only that you remain humble and continue to learn.

Date: March 07, 2021 05:57PM

I want my dime back.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 07, 2021 10:12PM

nay-on-der-tall is the correct German pronunciation

Date: March 10, 2021 11:16AM

We live in the United States, honest.

Date: March 10, 2021 11:53AM

The didact is out-didact-ed.

Date: March 14, 2021 04:00PM

Date: March 10, 2021 03:19PM

And other hominids is a daunting task, and even though "I'm just the reporter" on this subject, I did help Simon Southerton edit his contribution to the online "Encyclopedia of Global Human Migration." To summarize, perhaps incompletely, archaic Homo sapiens appear to have left Africa ~200,000 years ago, but all modern populations can likely be traced to a single dispersal (the "Out-of-Africa" model) sometime between 50 and 80 thousand years ago. That doesn't preclude earlier H. sapiens having left Africa long before, but to use a cliché, the devil is in the details.

Here's Jennifer Raff (again):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenniferraff/2019/07/11/an-extremely-early-migration-of-modern-humans-out-of-africa/?sh=599a30e7a130

>>Although there is some evidence in Neanderthal genomes of a very early gene flow event predating 200,000 years ago, according to Aylwyn Scally, a geneticist at the University of Cambridge, “the curious thing is that almost all the genetic ancestry in modern humans looks like it derives from a dispersal out of Africa only 60,000-100,000 years ago. We haven't yet found significant evidence of genetic ancestry descending from much earlier dispersals, whereas we do detect the signals of mating between our ancestors and some of the Neanderthal and Denisovans they encountered while expanding across Europe and Asia. It might simply be that all of these earlier sapiens groups had already gone extinct, and hence left no genetic legacy. But if there were many of them, that starts to seem a bit odd, since as even a very small number of individual mating events can in principle be detectable today."

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 11, 2021 11:55PM

ziller can confirm ~

that them there mating events ~

are detectable ~

Date: March 15, 2021 09:19AM

I found Simon's piece under "Prehistory," and the topic was "The Colonization of the Americas."

Goodness, that means this thread is "on-topic."

Date: March 18, 2021 10:23AM

Posted by: Mashup ( )
Date: March 11, 2021 09:05AM

Religious fendies are defunding Neanderthals.

Date: March 15, 2021 01:38PM

Left off his nipple rings.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 18, 2021 10:46AM

When you are making something from clay it takes a lot practice. The first things just don't turn out that well and you have to keep trying til you get it right. I know. I took ceramics at BYU.

The Religious Fundies don't have a problem with God not getting it right the first time. Although that does mean they are admitting he's not Omnipotent or Omniscient and didn't know how to build an Oast.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.