Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 04, 2021 11:47PM

https://encircletogether.org/news/byu?fbclid=IwAR1uO4iV_2wu70NOQ9uNHbSHapD3_29dHi8sq8qS89zCUsfkqiFzeGFm5MU

A study published this month, conducted by Dr. Jared Klundt and Dr. David Erekson, surveyed more than 7600 undergraduate students at BYU; 13.2% identified as LGBTQ+

The study examined religiosity, mental health outcomes, and sexual minority identity at BYU using structural equation modeling. All undergraduates were invited to participate, and 7625 students participated, with 996 students indicating a sexual orientation other than “strictly heterosexual.”

The study found that the LGBTQ+ students were more than 2x as suicidal as their straight peers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 04, 2021 11:57PM

WAKE UP, ChurchCo!

Can U 'prophesy' what the future holds for your believers/members?

I.Don't.Think.So (U never have!!)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 12:13AM

I wonder how many of those students will stay in the church.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 12:18AM

I was under the impression that Mormons didn't have gay people.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 12:20AM

Doesn't mormonism only admit normal people?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 12:21AM

Mormonism admitted you, didn't it?

Date: March 05, 2021 12:24AM

I used to could pass ...

Date: March 05, 2021 12:28AM

I think you just . . . aroused. . . the admission committee's interest due to that Hawaiian skirt you used to wear all the time.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 12:27AM

So Many variables in Mormonism, starting with who the missionaries ARE (their presentation, appeal / connection with contacts)

I guess a select few join only thru friends without missionary contact (?).

Then there are interviews (missionaries are ALWAYS pressured to produce!)

Then except for folks who have close ties with a neighbor or relative, THE SHOCK of MoCulture including busy work, new obligations & expectations, etc. sinks in; some adapt, many don't.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 12:32AM

Ok. Fistful of red flags here.

First of all, the participants in the survey were self-selected, so this was basically the opposite of a random sample that could be used to estimate how many of the general BYU population self-identified as LGBTQ+. It is highly likely that students who felt themselves outside the sexual identity mainstream would be more likely to participate in the survey.

Problem 2: the subject line states "study shows 13% of BYU students are LGBTQ". The study shows no such thing. This is typical SC hyperbolic exaggeration. First, the word "are". The study shows that percentage of participants identify as LGBTQ. That doesn't mean they actually are LGBTQ. It's like people claiming they "are" Mormon. That can mean an extremely wide range of things.

And from problem 1, that 13% of a non-random survey sample identified as LGBTQ does not mean 13% of the overall student body identifies as LGBTQ. The study did not make that claim. SC decided to make that claim on their behalf.

Thirdly, 13% of the participants identified as "something other than strictly heterosexual". That is not the same as identifying as LGBTQ. Those five categories are not the only alternatives to heterosexual. I once saw a list that listed 50 different sexual orientations.

OP should be read with a number of grains of salt.

Date: March 05, 2021 12:34AM

Thanks for pointing those flaws out. I thought about mentioning them but am tired after dealing with so much other nonsense today and yesterday.

Date: March 05, 2021 12:35AM

OP likes to cannonball into the pool !!!!

Almost everybody turns to look!

Date: March 05, 2021 01:02AM

I just saw the Headline, copied it and pasted it,
along with the most relevant paragraphs, the 2nd and last.
Thought others here might be interested.
I don't have a dog in this fight.
I could care less how many LGBTQ students there are at BYU.
But I do care about the fact that they are twice as likely to commit suicide and that homophobic Mormon doctrine is responsible for it. Homophobia falls into the same category as racism and sexism, bigotry and it needs to be called out for what it is, pure fucking evil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2021 01:10AM by schrodingerscat.

Date: March 05, 2021 01:32AM

> But I do care about the fact
> that they are twice as likely
> to commit suicide and that
> homophobic Mormon doctrine is
> responsible for it.

And by posting here, the problem is solved!!

Yay!

Date: March 05, 2021 08:41AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > But I do care about the fact
> > that they are twice as likely
> > to commit suicide and that
> > homophobic Mormon doctrine is
> > responsible for it.
>
>
> And by posting here, the problem is solved!!
>
> Yay!
I never pretended to ‘solve the problem’ of LGBTQ suicide in UT, and I don’t think it’s a joke, like you. There reasons for it that are real. One of the main reasons is because of what I have witnessed in my own Mormon family. My TBM Sister raised a gay daughter, whom she disowned just for speaking up about the abuse she suffered as a very young child, by an adult relative, who was MORmON, and therefor, protected from suffering any consequences. She was shunned and disowned by her own parents, because she had the courage to speak up. She was terrified to speak up about her homosexuality, because she knew her parents would reject her based upon their beliefs. I speak up against those beliefs because she is still too terrified to do so.
I’m not.
By speaking up against abusive Mormon beliefs, instead of shutting the fuck up, I hope it encourages others to speak up in real life, instead of taking their lives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2021 08:44AM by schrodingerscat.

Date: March 05, 2021 11:03AM

Yes, I do put you in the joke category.

But I think we've all heard/read better...

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 09:51AM

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0191886920306668

These limitations are illuminated in the discussion section of the actual paper

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 07:23AM

It will be interesting to see where lds inc. take this. As I understand they recently created a diversity counsel to address just such issues as these.

https://fhss.byu.edu/committee-for-diversity-collaboration-and-inclusion-main

Now the purpose of diversity agenda on other campuses is to get everyone to 'feel' included and to get rid of 'hate speech' which includes anything against the lgbt agenda. if BYU actually follows through they may have to purge old devotional materials, many or all of the GAs, profits sears and revelators, will have to be banned for past racist or anti lgbt statements from the past. Most of the buildings named for old dead white guys (who where hetero) will have to be renamed.

The fundamental restructuring and decline has begun, I'm curious to see how this is going to end up.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 09:35AM

Last night, about 50 students climbed "Y" mountain and lit up the Y in rainbow lights. It looked awesome and was done as a show of support and recognition of their LGBTQ fellow students. Cool

Then, at the end of the news report about this, the reporter said that neither BYU or COJCOLDS had authorized this activity.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 09:42AM

Date: March 05, 2021 09:47AM

gemini Wrote:
--------------------
>
> Then, at the end of the news
> report about this, the reporter
> said that neither BYU or COJCOLDS
> had authorized this activity.

At least no tea was lost in the harbor!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 10:50AM

It would not be possible for me to care less about a perons orientation SO LONG AS they do not try to FORCIBLY interfere with my choice in the issue

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 02:51PM

You do realize that nobody can forcibly interfere with your choice? They can only interfere with your behavior.

Perhaps it deserves interfering with, if your behavior interferes with others' rights. That's what it usually comes down to,

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 02:56PM

That means "god" is 13% LGBTQ too.....they were created in "his" image after all.

And the "they have the agency to choose" arguement falls flat....god has the same agency and look what he chose to create.

And if I'm wrong, why would Joseph Smith use the rainbow as a sign that "jesus god" won't be returning that year? Because he's still gay!

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 03:40PM

That’s about one in every eight Mormons. Holy fuck. Is this just Gen Z overdiagnosing themselves? Has the LGBT population always been this large and we’re just now feeling confident enough to talk about it? Or is there something about the Mormon experience that brings this out in our youth more than other subcultures?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2021 03:41PM by Cold-Dodger.

Date: March 05, 2021 03:49PM

I'm not sure the number is a surprise. Roughly 5% of Americans describe themselves as homosexual. I suspect that is low, since in most of the US it's not safe to reveal a gay identity to others and, in some cases, to oneself. So perhaps the actual ratio is closer to 10%. Then if you broaden the question from homosexuality to LGBTQ+, you could get to 13%.

But I don't think you can conclude that from this study for the reasons BoJ stated. It could very well be that BYU students are tired of being treated as inadequate and want to express their feelings directly. That self-selection alone means the study is not objective.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.