Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 05:50PM

Had to post this one.

Todays find at Deseret Industries.

Stim-U-Lax jr.

Yes a motor the size of your fist on a fingerless glove that vibrates when plugged in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 07:57PM

What does it do when you don't have it plugged way in?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 08:03PM

Uh oh !

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 08:09PM

Ewww. I hope it got washed before you touched it. You never know where that thing has been. ;-)

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 10:14PM

We may not know for sure Dagny but we have a good idea!

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 10:47PM

I wonder if the innocent workers at D.I. even had an idea what that was? And it makes me wonder why anyone would donate something like that to D.I. As a joke? for the shock value?

Date: March 05, 2021 11:19PM

My experience is when a person passes away, the family simply empties the house at the DI.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 11:50PM

Well, if it's at the DI, it wasn't used for stirring martinis.

Date: March 06, 2021 01:24PM

This one was from the 50s

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 03:16PM

I live in So. Calif.

My first trip to a DI store, with a friend, resulted in the following 'finds':

A badly mildewed 1st addition of the BoM. When I tried to explain to the clerk that it should be thrown away before it had a chance to do the same to the other books in the locked glass counter, the female clerk just looked at me, without comprehending what it was that had me upset with the book. (Our bk.store hired persons that couldn't think well enough to have a regular job, and were hired as a charity case.)

I noticed a man that had all the BoM's in the book area who had gathered the whole lot of them in his arms, removing them from a fate worse than death--condemned to a thrift store! Obviously, he felt he knew what to do with these misfits, probably giving them away, even though they had red-underlines in them, and other inked marks.

---

Years later, we took a trip to Utah to see my sister and her family. They took us to a "thrift" store 1/2 block away from downtown, and was showing their offerings. All the isle were immaculate, and prices were not cheep. The store was just a block from their SLC downtown area, and not likely to get customers from the richer area of town. In reality, it was just a showcase, met to impress ignorant tourists. The only people in the store, were us.

This store had near-new cloths and shoes to offer, among which my husband bought some old high-top boots--as we were expected to take care of their prolific 1/2 acre home food garden while they were gone. Rows and rows of food stuff growing on a half-acre of property.

We also had to be taught about the water use supply for their food garden, which they took turns with other home-farmers to use. One family would "get" the water on one day and time, and another farmer would get it on another--including on Sundays! (knotty, knotty.)

This trip was a real eye-opener for us.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.