Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SpacePineapple ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 10:48PM

Slow day at the office, doing some coding on a legacy system, so fired up "Murder Among the Mormons". Laughed out loud several times. Not at those who were hurt by the POS crook, of course, but at the idiot Hofmann, his morbidly obese pal, the moronic 1980s Morg culture I remember so well, and, naturally, the fact the idiot Brethren bought it all hook, line, and sinker. Prophet, seer and revelator ... teehee.

But I digress. Enjoying a nice bottle of wine and about to fire up a fine cigar. LDS, Inc. can go to blazes. :p

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 11:04PM

I saw the other thread got locked as I was posting some comments, so typed up all my thoughts and started a new thread... before I saw this one! But the tone of this one is different. I too saw some comical aspects.

For example, you mention Hofmann's sidekick. I wondered how he morphed from goofy kid in a t-shirt to Dapper Dan in a bow tie!

And they kept going on about the "sports car." I'm sorry, but a Toyota MR2 just isn't the exotic car they make it out to be.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 03:20AM

The Toyota MR1 was a big success in France. The Toyota MR2 hardly sold at all (I've only ever seen one). Back at Toyota head office, they couldn't understand why until a passing Frenchman pointed out that MR2, when said in the French way "Emm - air - deux", sounds just like "Merde" which I don't think I have to translate for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 03:20AM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 08:41AM

...very well known case of translation error. For those of you who never heard it, "Nova" can translate in Spanish as "no va," meaning, "doesn't go." Models later assigned to the Latin America market were rebranded the "Caribe," which I think is eloquent.

Thanks for reminding me of the "Murders" program. I'll have to watch it now.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 08:25PM

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/chevrolet-nova-name-spanish/

First of all, the phrase “no va” (literally “doesn’t go”) and the word “nova” are distinct entities with different pronunciations in Spanish: the former is two words and is pronounced with the accent on the second word; the latter is one word with the accent on the first syllable. Assuming that Spanish speakers would naturally see the word “nova” as equivalent to the phrase “no va” and think “Hey, this car doesn’t go!” is akin to assuming that English speakers would spurn a dinette set sold under the name Notable because nobody wants a dinette set that doesn’t include a table.

The truth is that the Chevrolet Nova’s name didn’t significantly affect its sales: it sold well in both its primary Spanish-language markets, Mexico and Venezuela, and its Venezuelan sales figures actually surpassed GM’s expectations.

The one bit of supporting evidence offered to back up this legend is spurious as well. General Motors, we’re told, finally wised up and changed the model name of their automobile from Nova to Caribe, after which sales of the car “took off.” The problem with this claim is that the Caribe sold in Mexico was manufactured by Volkswagen, not by General Motors. (The Caribe was the model name used by VW in Mexico for the car more commonly known in the USA as the Volkswagen Golf.) The Nova’s model name was never changed for the Spanish-speaking market.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 08:30PM

[|] Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . .assuming that English speakers
> would spurn a dinette set sold under the name
> Notable because nobody wants a dinette set that
> doesn’t include a table.

Excellent example.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 08:46PM

https://www.thoughtco.com/chevy-nova-that-wouldnt-go-3078090

For starters, nova and no va don't sound alike and are unlikely to be confused, just as "carpet" and "car pet" are unlikely to be confused in English.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 07:53PM

That's funny! It's odd how things sometimes don't translate, or sometimes do. One of my favorite French abbreviations was "K7" for cassette. Of course, it's been a long time since I shopped for a cassette tape. ;)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 07:57PM

What's a "cassette tape?"

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 06, 2021 08:15PM

Gordon B. Stinky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of my favorite
> French abbreviations was "K7" for cassette.

They did the same thing in Brazil! Other languages???

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.