Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ForgotNewName (and user name2) ( )
Date: March 18, 2021 11:19PM

So, I stepped away from the church well over a decade ago, and it was a mostly amicable separation. I didn't burn bridges or cut ties with ever Mormon I grew up with, have never trashed the church and remained respectful of their right to believe whatever they like. I've also grown my circle of friends. Not ever contact I have on social is a member, in fact most are not.

So in the wake of the Georgia Shooting I posted that it's a problem when uninformed faith leaders (not bishops or stake presidents, faith leaders, as in from any faith) teach distorted views on sexuality (because as anyone who has followed the news even a tiny little bit is aware, the shooter in Georgia said he was "removing temptation" and suffered from "sex addiction")

I'm pretty sure the shooter isn't Mormon, he wasn't getting his screwed up ideas from the brethren in Salt Lake... and yet here I have a bunch of Mormon friends and family on my social media post lamenting that I'm attacking their faith, that I'm bitter, I'm sure you know the story well.

I think it says an awful lot about your cult that criticizing a mass murderer is perceived as an attack on your faith.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: March 19, 2021 12:19AM

I think it is a sign of how uneasy some Mormons and other conservatives feel about the ongoing demographic changes in U.S. society that they view your comments on what happened in Atlanta as being offensive to them.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 19, 2021 08:34AM

I think it's partly that, and partly a cultural group (Mormons) who are often fearful of the world and are closing ranks.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: March 19, 2021 01:29AM

What church teaches that you should murder people who you feel are tempting oneself to sexual sin (etc.)?

Date: March 19, 2021 03:03PM

While I know of no specific church that specifically teaches that men should kill women whom they perceive to be as temptresses, I know plenty of churches, primarily fundamentalist and Baptist, that teach that what is written in the Bible should be taken as literal truth.

In the New Testament in the Synoptic Gospels (I don't remember which chapter and verse), Jesus, when discussing sin (and I think he's talking about mastaurbation here) is quoted as saying: "If Thy eye causes Thee to sin, cast it out. If Thy hand causes Thee to sin, cut it off."

If you believe the Bible to be literally true, then how far do you have to go from these phrases to say: "If a woman causes Thee to sin, thou hast the right to commit murder against her." This would be especially appetizing when one realizes how much pain would occur if one cuts off his own hand or casts out one's own eye.

So while no church specifically interprets the Bible in this manner, plenty do teach that the Bible is literal truth and it is not far to go from Jesus' quoted passages (presumably about mastaurbation) to the idea that this passage also gives you the right to kill any temptresses you run across.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: March 19, 2021 10:49PM

blindguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While I know of no specific church that
> specifically teaches that men should kill women
> whom they perceive to be as temptresses

That's what I thought.

> So while no church specifically interprets the
> Bible in this manner, plenty do teach that the
> Bible is literal truth and it is not far to go
> from Jesus' quoted passages (presumably about
> mastaurbation) to the idea that this passage also
> gives you the right to kill any temptresses you
> run across.

Actually it is far to go, though

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: March 19, 2021 01:48AM

I think this shows how thinned skin many Mormons are about their cult, even though it's more likely the domestic terrorist was fundamentalist Protestant. Some fundies also share the belief that women are to blame for "temtping" men by showing a shoulder or kneecap.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 19, 2021 02:25AM

(swearing included)

Victim! Victim! Victim!

Who is the Victim?

Oh, the goddesses tempted poor little ole me and just kept on tempting me and ruining my day... I mean really making me have a bad day. I just could not find anything else to do, you know, not anything else....sooo, it was my right, my RIGHT, goddamit, my right to remove these temptations! Why should I have to put up with such beautiful, beautiful images that I cannot act on...I just cannot and SHOULD NOT be made to try to....soooo GODDAMIT, I will do what I have a right to do and do it NOW!!!

And, he did.

Is not this the real doctrine of Mormonism?....issue after issue is filled with this same mentality. Is it not their god-given-right to say this and act in this way? Think of issues like Prop 8 or Equal Rights for Women as just two examples where Mormonism has the supposed god-given-right to determine what is allowed because, "God", by damn has given them the right to declare it "right" or the world will be exposed to such perversions and be, yes, the VICTIMS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2021 02:42AM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 19, 2021 08:32AM

This is why I have a problem with the traditional Islamic view that women must be completely covered up (i.e. with the chador, niqab, etc.) When I see that type of garb in the U.S. or other western countries, a part of me thinks, well this is a free county, and you can dress however you wish to. If you want to dress in a clown costume, you can do that. And a part of me is repulsed that once again women are seen as temptresses who are responsible for men's sexual thoughts, and must therefore cover up so that men are not tempted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2021 11:08AM by summer.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 19, 2021 10:33AM

Right on.

In my long life as one and then around Mormons, I saw the women blamed over and over for the men's actions. I saw courts of love where the woman was excommunicated but the man was only dis-fellowshiped.

The girls are given the licked cup cake lesson. The women have the responsibility of not tempting the men. I saw it I saw it I saw it. Woman's reputation ruined. Guy's reputation repaired easily.

So you get someone who is not mentally or emotionally stable and you get something like the shooting. Which is the extreme. But that is the tip of the iceberg of the damage being done to men and women alike in those churches especially the Mormon one. Most of it is never properly spotlighted.

That is what the current laws in Utah are about that they claim are for protections for all but aren't. They are about Mormons being able to do anything they want legally.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 19, 2021 11:06AM

I attack your "church" on a daily basis.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 19, 2021 12:02PM

Thank you Dave. It's such an easy job but somebody still needs to do it.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 19, 2021 01:46PM

That kind of thinking has been going on since the creation of the Adam and Eve story. Women are to blame, therefore they must suffer.

I am attacking the monotheistic religions on this point. They have helped form these views and have done much damage to women's progression and equality.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 19, 2021 04:36PM

+1

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 19, 2021 02:29PM

My take on when they get so offended is that many are afraid you are correct. It bothers a lot of them. My daughter tells me things that bother her about things like this and she is extremely TBM.

Since I'm the reason my husband is still gay they think it is all my fault.

It was my fault he cheated. It was up to me to save him. I just wasn't righteous enough.

We were taught in mutual that it was up to us to make sure the men stayed on the straight and narrow, that we weren't supposed to tempt them. Oh, and I was taught by mutual teachers that women don't like sex, but we still had to service our men.

No, I don't think it is my fault that my husband cheated or that he hasn't changed from gay to straight. Got over that a long time ago.

The blame for a lot of the problems with sex with mormons, their insane beliefs, comes straight from the top on down.

Date: March 21, 2021 12:03PM

CL2 wrote in part:

"The blame for a lot of the problems with sex with mormons, their insane beliefs, comes straight from the top on down."

The Mormon church founders figured out (as many before them had done) that if you want to control a person, you must control their sex lives. In the case of Mormonism, it was not only with whom they slept (bad enough), but how they performed the activity (out of the frying pan and in to the fire). And, to top it off, Mormon leadership required you to wear special undergarments to show you were temple worthy that they could check by feel.

Yes, Mormonism was a religion of control freaks, and I, for one, am glad you got out of there.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 19, 2021 08:18PM

Sometimes God just wants a good massage.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 19, 2021 10:25PM

In mormonism every man can become a ghawd but a woman can never be more than the +1.

Imma have my wives ID’d via binary number, base 16.

Posted by: Imaperson ( )
Date: March 20, 2021 01:23AM

"the woman thou gavest me"..........

See, it is God AND the Woman who wreck everything for the man. It is not the fault of the man because these two conspire against him and his natural leadership of everything.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 20, 2021 02:45PM

Some of them don’t learn the first time.

Wendy: Here Russell, have another apple.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: March 20, 2021 04:59PM

Oh, you didn't get the memo: they own "faith leader" now, so you were referring to Crusty Rusty without realizing it.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: March 21, 2021 12:13AM

ForgotNewName (and user name2) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... and yet here I have a
> bunch of Mormon friends and family on my social
> media post lamenting that I'm attacking their
> faith, that I'm bitter, I'm sure you know the
> story well.
===============================

As evidenced these do not reason at all well.
It is a puzzle why any would care what they babble -- or go through the trouble of maintaining a friendship

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.