Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 21, 2021 04:44PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/03/21/fairmormon-adopts-new/?fbclid=IwAR3VPdw62i2GJZMQy3-Wd4vsbY1ARfWToqI3KIT9H8yH1o2F9xhXU3F5qIU

FairMormon adopts a new name and urges a kinder approach in defending the LDS Church
FAIR now will stand for “Faithful Answers, Informed Response” and drop the faith’s well-known nickname.

It’s fair to say that FAIR, an independent group of defenders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has gone through some significant changes in its quarter century of existence — if not in its mission, at least in its moniker.

In 1997, the nonprofit was born as the Foundation for Apologetic Information and Research to explain and proclaim the policies, practices and preachings of the faith when they come under fire from critics.

The term “apologetic” — which meant to “reason” and “argue,” not to “apologize” — proved confusing, however, so, 16 years later, FAIR morphed into FairMormon to more clearly communicate the group’s purpose.

“We thought of ourselves as ‘Mormon,’” recalls President Scott Gordon, “and we want the facts to be covered ‘FAIRly.’”

Now, with church President Russell M. Nelson urging scholars, media and members to cease using “Mormon” and “LDS” when referring to the denomination and its adherents, it was time for another name change.

“Being faithful members, we wanted to comply, but we struggled to come up with another name that everyone liked. We really struggled,” Gordon writes in a Saturday newsletter and blog post. “Remember, we are the same group that came up with the first name that nobody understood.”

That debate has been settled. FAIR will now be known as FAIR.

“Yes, that sounds a lot like our old name ... but this new name is completely different,” Gordon writes. “The old name was an acronym for the Foundation for Apologetic Information and Research. The new FAIR name stands for ‘Faithful Answers, Informed Response.’”

The group also is dropping “Mormon” from its website URL. FAIR now can be found at www.fairlatterdaysaints.org. More and more institutions, departments, organizations and websites inside and outside the church have heeded Nelson’s call and altered their names.

When the new FAIR provides “faithful answers” and an “informed response,” Gordon adds, it wants to do so in a Christlike manner.

That means “avoiding personal attacks or derogatory language” against critics, he says. “This does not mean we won’t point out faulty reasoning and misleading claims, or boldly defend our doctrine. ... We are not stepping away from fact-checking, or defending the church. Indeed, we embrace it fully. We just want to do it in the way that we believe the Savior would approve.’
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Pretty sure the Savior wouldn’t approve of anything about defending the abusive, sexist, racist homophobic CULT you were born into, just because you inherited it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2021 03:03AM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 21, 2021 04:59PM

“Doesn’t matter what they call themselves, they are increasingly irrelevant as time marches on.“

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: March 21, 2021 05:15PM

+1

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 21, 2021 05:23PM

If (BIG if) they have a role to play in the age of the internet, it's to help people who really WANT to believe. I can't see them clearing anyone's shelf - only propping it up for an indeterminate time...

Date: March 21, 2021 05:17PM

The traffic reports here in the DC metro still reference the "Mormon Temple" as a landmark on the beltway's north side.
So I guess the major media outlets around here aren't bothered by cRusty's tantrum.

Date: March 21, 2021 05:19PM

I think it's un-fair that Fair feels compelled to change their fair name. Just sayin' ;)

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: March 21, 2021 05:23PM

Just shows how it's all image marketing

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 21, 2021 05:29PM

'people who really want to believe' is the operative phrase here,

just sayin'

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 21, 2021 07:26PM

Perhaps a change in management there could help. The ugliest nastiest emails I have ever received were all from FAIRMormon folks over the years. I hope the old guard is gone or reduced to irrelevancy and honesty and kindness will prevail. I could wish...

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: March 21, 2021 08:07PM

Should change it to SPIRITUAL HOLISTIC INSPIRED TEACHING

They the acronym would tell you what you need to know.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 21, 2021 10:10PM

Finds Awefully Irrelevant Rubbish

Fails All Intelligent Research

Faithful Awefullness In Reality

They wanted to keep the acronym more than to REALLY find out WHO or WHAT it was all about. But if they found out what it was all about, it wouldn't exist anyway.

Flush All Irrelevant Rhetoric

It's really just the top bra's to do list: FAIR is codeword for "Finish Alure In Rotunda"

Posted by: 12345 ( )
Date: March 22, 2021 12:54AM

“Fails All Intelligent Research” –funny and accurate!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 21, 2021 11:07PM

"That means “avoiding personal attacks or derogatory language” against critics, he says."

Well that would be a nice change. Some of the worst trolls we have had were FAIR/FARM boys.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 22, 2021 12:26AM

Why do they call themselves "independent" when they heed everything the church tells them to do?

They defend LDS Corp at all costs and offer propaganda galore.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 22, 2021 01:27AM

IMHO it gives a buffer between them so LDSInc can claim they are not speaking for them.

Posted by: Year of The Dragon ( )
Date: March 22, 2021 01:28AM

Scott Gordon’s mother is one of the smartest and loveliest people I know. I puzzle how that family was ever so saturated with dupe-ism.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 22, 2021 01:48AM

Fucking
Amoral
Ignorant
Reprobates

Posted by: Clip ( )
Date: March 24, 2021 09:16PM

This video analyzes one of the BYU student videos that FAIR recently took off its site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubhv5ivbdsg

It doesn't go well for the BYU students.

Date: March 25, 2021 09:50PM

FAIL (For All Intentional Lies)

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 03:36PM

When LDS finally embraces LBGTQ FAIR will once again rebrand itself as FLAIR - Flaming Latter-day Apologists In Robes/Rainbows

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.