Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 22, 2021 07:47PM

https://religionnews.com/2021/03/22/what-the-lds-church-wants-to-know-from-young-adult-mormons/

Link is to an article by Jana Reiss about a survey recently sent to young adult Mormons by LDS Inc. I found it pretty interesting.

Here are some of the questions, which seem like the church testing the waters about possible changes to hang onto younger members.
----------------------------------

Do we need YSA wards at all?

If so, could we put both single and married young adults of the same ages together?

Could we allow YSAs to choose for themselves what ward to attend, regardless of geography?

Could we issue callings to YSAs that reflect how they want to serve?

Could the second hour of church include “alternative options” like “community service, socializing over food, small-group discussions, life-skills training, etc.”?

Could we call more leaders who are single themselves and “decrease oversight by married members”?

Other questions deal with far-reaching aspects of Mormon life and worship that could potentially affect all members. Some that jumped out to me were:

“Innovate the format and feel of General Conference to be more relevant and engaging (e.g., shorter sessions, emphasis on specific audiences or topics, variation of speakers, presentation format, engaging the audience)” – and there is a long follow-up question about which specific changes members might like to see happen.

Training bishops to “harmonize repentance standards”

Offering a variety of “new missionary service models (e.g., service, humanitarian, education)”

“Adjust and/or broaden Sunday worship (e.g., tone, format, meditation, praise music, etc.)”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 22, 2021 07:54PM

All of those sound like good moves.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 22, 2021 08:02PM

Yes, Summer, they do!

I wonder why their prophet doesn't just tell them!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 22, 2021 08:06PM

You mean all the stuff other organizations have been doing for years. Mormons following once again.

"Harmonize repentance standards" What? Bishops forming Barbershop Quartets?

How about throwing the word "worthy" out the window and forget this repentance nonsense and reporting to a bishop at all like he's your parole officer.

Clearly Heavenly Father has finally given up and just said, "Do whatever you want, just quit bugging me."

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 22, 2021 08:59PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You mean all the stuff other organizations have
> been doing for years.

That was my reaction, too.

Yeah, how about the church functioning like the real world, where people mix as they like rather than being segmented and regimented.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 22, 2021 09:02PM

But the brethren are stuck in this view that the members serve the church rather than the church serving the members.

Date: March 22, 2021 09:09PM

Sorry, man. I cannot get past the notion that an organization claiming a direct line to ghawd's hotline needs to conduct surveys.

Either they're worshipping a total dick who won't pick up the hotline, leaving them to their own wiles, or it's a Mattel toy phone, not connected to anything.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 23, 2021 11:28AM

As I understand it, the 1990 changes to the temple endowment were the result of surveys.

I think D&C 1:38 needs to be revised: "What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.

Maybe the new version should be "though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but it might need to be revised every now and then. If surveys show that my eternal truths make some people uncomfortable, we'll make some changes."

Date: March 23, 2021 12:02PM

The survey was done in 1988. Someone completed the survey and then copied it and posted it to Los Interwebz, and aquí esta:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/76542947/1988-Temple-Survey

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 24, 2021 01:14AM

elderolddog Wrote:
> The survey was done in 1988. Someone completed
> the survey and then copied it and posted it to Los
> Interwebz, and aquí esta:
>
>     https://www.scribd.com/doc/76542947/1988-T
> emple-Survey

Loved the recorded answers. Especially, the one about personal scripture study--Never! Callings held none and he/she skipped the question about how often do you attend church.

I am still laughing!

If the person had written in senior GA, then I know it was filled in by EOD.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 28, 2021 08:07PM

"Could we call more leaders who are single themselves and “decrease oversight by married members”?

Because the Mo' church is all about levels of who's-watching-who to be obedient. Kinda like East Germany.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 22, 2021 09:17PM

Why the surveys? If I had received one of these surveys when I was still a believer, that would have been A CLUE.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 24, 2021 01:19AM

cl2 Wrote:
> Why the surveys? If I had received one of these
> surveys when I was still a believer, that would
> have been A CLUE.

I agree.

I would have walked out of MTC as had they shown the church satellite broadcast about the New Missionary program. The apostles bragged about all the research and surveys that COST THE CHURCH MILLIONS! They didn't even give lip service that they had prayed and fasted. No! It was all about the $$$ the church had researched on why convert members stay or leave the church.

Posted by: Russell Half Nelson ( )
Date: March 27, 2021 11:44PM

These would be great changes to make. The patronizing and infantilizing nature of singles wards was the main reason I left the cult.

It was so absurd to see successful adults being treated like 13 year olds. I can't think of any other church that humiliates its Young adults in this way. They have to be segregated so they'll marry off but you need to chaperone them in case they dance to closely together.

In real life, a 30 year old man could be the boss of a 50 year old man but once she goes to church, he'd have to be treated like a child, simply because he wasn't married.

Posted by: Russell Half Nelson ( )
Date: March 27, 2021 11:45PM

Oops, typed that on the tablet. Sorry for the typos.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 28, 2021 02:42PM

They just don't get it
They are whipping a dead horse!!!!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 28, 2021 03:39PM

Part of the trouble with the LDS church has heretofore been not giving a monkey's about what the membership want. They have always been a leadership to say, "We know what's best. No giving us counsel, okay? We'll never lead you astray, anyway." And now they solicit our counsel. Of course, it may well be too late. The church leadership noticed way too late that a generation of members was leaving, and took forever to address the problem. Moreover, it's not just their problem, but just a generation moving on, slower to accept a religion.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 28, 2021 07:36PM

A few generations, really. This is just the latest, and perhaps the last, they are afraid, unless they do something... [drastic] (normal/ natural/ Christlike?/ helpful/ useful, for a change) FAST!

ASK them what they want/ need/ expect/ prefer

Or they'll find it elsewhere

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.