Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 23, 2021 10:17AM

Why it's so easy for the Leaders of the Mormon Church:

"So people went to the malls to buy the same boat shoes and Lacoste Alligator shirts to copy the elite not understanding that the elite wouldn't be caught dead in a suburban mall." ----From the Preppy Handbook

The need to be part of the "in crowd" isn't just for high school. The need continues through life. It is the key to being fooled and used.

The Mormons worship Oaks and Bednar and Russ because they think that makes them part of something superior. They cling to Mormonism because it is their "In Crowd" and they have no other way to fulfill that need, most of them. Even as a kid I knew when Mark E. Petersen came to our house for lunch after dedicating our chapel that he was "slumming" and his wife double that. She couldn't get out fast enough. I saw their faces. It's always there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 23, 2021 10:43AM

“Without the Church what would we do? Where would we go?”

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 23, 2021 10:49AM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Even as a kid I knew when Mark E. Petersen came to
> our house for lunch after dedicating our chapel
> that he was "slumming" and his wife double that.
> She couldn't get out fast enough. I saw their
> faces. It's always there.

How DARE they ????!!!!!

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: March 23, 2021 10:52AM

Mormonism really is a lot like middle school.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 23, 2021 10:58AM

That's so true.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: March 23, 2021 10:50AM

when I was put in young womens and the juvenile actions by the 2 other leaders. I was the counselor and they were the two teachers as we had 23 girls. They even had a party for all the girls and didn't invite me. Told them I had to work. I just happened to find out because the girls really liked me.

I never fit into mormonism. None of my family did. I married someone who knows how to play the mormon royalty game. The neighbors still treat him as royalty. My older sister and I got a huge laugh out of that. She told me they move into a new ward and the people think they are royalty and it doesn't take long before they realize her husband is royalty and she is not. And the poor treatment begins. She goes because her husband likes her to. They have a pretty good marriage, so I get it. One of the few marriages I know of which is pretty good.

My dad was never fake. He was just "what you see is what you get." He wasn't all that active. My mother was the oldest child of two deaf parents. She took care of them the rest of their lives from a very young age, was their voice and caretaker up until their deaths. She was socially awkward. They were both extremely good people, my parents. They weren't perfect. AND they were there for me when it all fell apart and supported my decisions in leaving mormonism and how I handled the fallout of my life.

I feel that "we're better than you are" with the family members on my mother's side who were never nice to my mother and treated her as less than. I didn't talk to the "one aunt" who wrote that e-mail for 19 years ON PURPOSE. She showed up on my doorstep one day. She told me the other day she feels like I'm her sister as she feels like she can talk to me like she can't other people. OHHHHHH! I just tell her like it is. She seems to like that. (She has a gay son, who I'm not supposed to know about.)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 23, 2021 10:53AM

The right way to get people to follow is by example. The wrong is by convincing them you have something that they don't and that they should want it.

Date: March 23, 2021 11:12AM

The Petersens didn't think it showed I'm sure. That's how. I'm not surprised that the G.A.s stopped doing things like dedications as that had to be a pain in the ass for them and the poor wives getting dragged along. I wouldn't have wanted to do it either. Probably Sister Petersen put a stop to it that very day.

I was the only one in the family who thought that, and I knew that we "were not all in this together" with them, and, I knew to keep it to myself. The rest of the family couldn't believe that we had just had a "Holy Visitation " and were all walking on the Celestial air left in the room.

You wouldn't believe how clean we got the house before they came. If I could go back in time I would have asked Elder Petersen if it really worked to tie your hand to the bedpost.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 23, 2021 11:19AM

"If I could go back in time I would have asked Elder Petersen if it really worked to tie your hand to the bedpost."

You also could have asked him how faithful you would need to be to have a negro as your servant in the CK. (from his 1954 talk at BYU)

Posted by: outta the cult ( )
Date: March 23, 2021 06:45PM

Or asked him if he had really, truly never seen his wife naked.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 23, 2021 07:28PM

Or ask Mark E. what it's like to be a jackass masquerading as an apostle.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: March 24, 2021 08:07AM

The understandable need to be part of the “in crowd” is destroying American journalism. Worse, too many journalists won’t even allow anyone to be part of an “out crowd”. Conform or be cancelled. No “out crowds” allowed.

(Your post haunted up an image of my keener 23 year old self, bum in pew, taking notes during General Conference. God damn it. I was a follower. I was following. God damn keener. I thought I was over the embarrassment that 23 year old me has caused. Guess not...yet.)

Date: March 24, 2021 09:37AM

The right to disagree and still survive is on life support and there are people lined up by the thousands to pull the plug. Nothing feels like a back and forth discussion anymore.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 24, 2021 11:59AM

My son said, get everything off your car —-every bumper sticker, every decal, every social comment, every belief or disbelief.

Sad state of affairs.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 24, 2021 12:54PM

Human society is a recycling experiment. Times change and the old have it the hardest. But to see a bit of love. To enjoy a sunset still. There is something in existence that begs to be experienced regardless of ruling opinions or lack of them.

Date: March 24, 2021 01:45PM

I know. I liked driving around being appalled by people's bumper stickers but still having a nice chat with them when we were picking out oranges in the grocery store.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.