Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 24, 2021 10:01AM

One of the things mormons do best is be mormon. At least, before the attempt to clamp down on the use of the word mormon in association with the membership of the church.

Take a look at the church website welcome page, at https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/?lang=eng

Not only is there no mention of Joseph Smith, but they also have the effrontery to use this beckoning headline: "Celebrate Jesus Christ at an Easter General Conference". At least, when you click on it, you're taken to a regular mormon announcement on how to watch Conference... They didn't go to the trouble of dolling up that page.

But the word mormon does appear on that first page, at the very bottom, left, in the intro to a story about bringing a soul to Jesus.

I am avoiding using the young author's name. It's the typical bull-crap, "I saw a neighbor I could give service to, we hit it off, I gave him a book of mormon, with my testimony written in it, and now he's a member!"

But the way it's framed, to promote the wonder and majesty of how the word of ghawd hits people in the 'feels', you would never suspect that it all took place in Provo, UT.

Yep. That's where the author lives.

When you first read the story, you automatically think that her neighbor knew nothing of mormonism. Obviously, he had to, so what's the real story? It's fine that he converted, but if he's in Provo, why now? What happened before?

And get a load of how she describes her 17 months of volunteer work for los mormones, on her Linked-in page:

"Full Time Volunteer Representative
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Oct 2014 - Apr 2016 1 year 7 months

• Worked directly with multicultural individuals and groups to connect emotionally and provide tools to overcome hardships

• Individually guided 4-6 other volunteers during 4 6-week periods to set and maintain goals, use resources effectively, and meet the needs of others in personal ways

• Trained groups of 18-25 volunteers to obtain the balance of self-health and attentive daily service to the community

• Coached others how to gain stress management skills, teaching skills, and meet personal improvement goals"

I feel like a real loser about now. All I did on my mission was go door-to-door, annoying people.

So anyway, mormonism is changing, because otherwise they'd dry up and blow away so much sooner than on their current trajectory, kicking against us, the pricks, and screaming Jesus' name and demanding more money.

Joseph Smith who?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 24, 2021 10:13AM

"provide tools to overcome hardships"

All your problems will go away by joining a cult and paying money to a corporation that gives nothing in return.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 24, 2021 10:16AM

Eight of the links on that page have titles that include "Jesus," "Christ," "Lord," Messiah," and "God." Not a mention of Joe anywhere.

If they're trying to be a protestant denomination, why? Mainline Protestantism has been in decline in the US for 50 years.

Date: March 24, 2021 10:23AM

Yeah, but the other 'protestant' churches are NOT the True Church, which has only been in decline for 20 years! See the difference?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2021 10:43AM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 24, 2021 10:35AM

The Holy Ghost is finally upgrading their Marketing Skills. I predict that within a year the Missionaries will be known as "Influencers." They'll even drop the LDS from it as that's not working either. You heard it here first.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We're trailing everyone else as fast as we can!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 24, 2021 12:03PM

Lol on the "influencers." But you might be right about that. A lot of young people aspire to be influencers. They can be an influencer for the church! Do you any of the Q15 have a clue as to what an influencer is?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 24, 2021 11:58AM

that those of us who are no longer mormon completely understand what they are doing.

I do love my neighbor. She is really a wonderful person. When I was working at Sam's Club, she sent me a text message inviting me to the RS birthday party as it might do me good to get out. HUH? I just said no.

To me that really is pure bull-crappery. Nobody has given me a BofM yet. They've done some ridiculous things, but that hasn't happened yet.

They are really promoting GC this year. I hear there are commercials on TV. I watch only streaming, so I haven't run into the commercials yet.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 24, 2021 12:18PM

Exactly. Fooling no one but themselves. Advertising to those who have already bought the product.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 24, 2021 12:29PM

The current Latter Day Saint "We're not Mormons anymore" sales campaign reminds me a lot of a well known direct marketing company that sells cleaning products. The company name has enough bad connotations that their sales people try to hook you without ever telling you the company name.
Maybe that's all this "the word Mormon is a victory for Satan" is really about.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 24, 2021 12:30PM

'Yard Work and the Book of Mormon'

Yesterday I passed two mishies doing yard work, pulling weeds in their dress pants and white shirts on a retaining wall right next to our narrow country road, 2 feet from traffic. Doing the Lord's work!

Posted by: Perdition ( )
Date: March 27, 2021 11:32AM

Corporate rebranding firmly under way.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 27, 2021 02:29PM

I think that Influencer term has a distinct ring to it.....I at once pictured my first time in the temple (one of 3 or 4) where Satan appeared and was an Influencer for sure. Maybe that word was even used...you know, influencing the world for eeevil.

And, in the temple ceremony clear back in the Bronze Age of 1965, yes I hiked with the T-Rex, this Influencer Satan stole the show. He actually seemed to be having a good time.

So, go for it Mormon Church.....try Influencer Church on for size and do take a look at the temple videos of by-gone eras to give you some ideas of how to grab attention.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 27, 2021 05:21PM

No matter how you slice it, Mormons will always be Mormons, even with a fancy new generic Christian appearing website.

I don't know that mentioning "The Church of Jesus Christ..." on your linked-in page will help with employment outside the morridor.

Date: March 27, 2021 06:08PM

> I don't know that mentioning
> "The Church of Jesus Christ..."
> on your linked-in page will
> help with employment outside
> the morridor.

Hmmm... It might help if the potential employer thought that it meant, 'well, at least he's not a mormon!'

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.