Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 01:46PM

I live 30 miles north of Georgia and 50 miles north east of Alabama in a tornado alley it seems. Four years ago we lost 2 cars and needed a new roof. During other recent storms, neighborhoods adjacent to us lost entire homes and unfortunately some lives. Now we are under another tornado possibility. We have supplies ready. I don’t know if this is due to climate change, but it was not this frequent 30 years ago when we moved here. Oh well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 02:09PM

Stay safe. You'll be in all of our thoughts.

CZ

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 05:09PM

what exmos need now ~

more tornado control laws ~

ban tornadoes now ~

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 02:13PM

Remember the John Wayne movie about fighting oil well fires? They could only be extinguished by blowing up a high explosive close to where the oil or gas turned into flames?

What if that worked with tornados? My research into the Tao suggested this tactic to me...

Am I on to something?

How can I monetize it?

What if you could buy anti-tornado kits at Circle-K?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 02:16PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Remember the John Wayne movie about fighting oil
> well fires? They could only be extinguished by
> blowing up a high explosive close to where the oil
> or gas turned into flames?
>
> What if that worked with tornados? My research
> into the Tao suggested this tactic to me...
>
> Am I on to something?
>
> How can I monetize it?
>
> What if you could buy anti-tornado kits at
> Circle-K?

Didn't the last POTUS suggest using a-bombs to do what you are suggesting...... then the wheels came off the cart.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 05:29PM

I think a good strong fart in the tornadoes general direction might do it.

Get up close and give it a try. What do you have to lose?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 05:32PM

Besides his dignity?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 05:53PM

Too late for that!

Date: March 25, 2021 06:07PM

Well, there is that!

Date: March 25, 2021 06:19PM

Dignity is as dignity does! I am very highly dignant!!

Date: March 25, 2021 06:20PM

Then you must be standing on a stool.

Date: March 25, 2021 06:49PM

My special five-legged pedestal of low height

Date: March 25, 2021 07:32PM

That's not the sort of stool I had in mind.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 02:18PM

I thought they would stop once I left the place. It felt like they were following me around down there!

Seriously, good luck. They are destructive, frightening and uncomfortably frequent.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 06:36PM

One did do damage today right near where I lived S of Birmingham, AL. My friends are without power. I hope everyone is safe.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 02:27PM

Tornadoes are one reason I could not live in your area
It is my religion I am a devout coward

Date: March 25, 2021 02:35PM

The way I look at it, there isn't any place in the USA, (don't know about the rest of the world) where you could be 100% safe from any natural disaster, be it be tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, ice storms, temperature extremes, etc.

Date: March 25, 2021 03:03PM

Yes, there are few perfect places to live. We moved here from northern Wisconsin where winters are long. Wife suffers from severe arthritis so a warmer climate was preferable. Being surrounded by religious fundamentalists is also a negative, though we have a small circle of friends that help to maintain sanity.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 03:26PM

Ditto me. I've seen them form several times near my home in Georgia, and was extremely afraid. We also had one nearby at night. I went outside to see if I could see anything. It was pitch black, and you could hear the tornado, but couldn't see it. That was even more frightening. Now I live in the Pacific NW, where we are more likely to get wiped out by a good earthquake, but they are not seasonal, are they?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 04:03PM

In Europe, tornadoes are reasonably rare (in 60 years I've never seen one myself, in France or the UK) and, from what I've seen in the newspapers, usually much less powerful and long-lasting than yours. Here they just remove a few roof tiles, usually.

What do you do Eric? Do you have a storm cellar or shelter or something?

Tom

Date: March 25, 2021 04:31PM

Date: March 25, 2021 04:32PM

Man or man! I hope your homeowners' insurance companies haven't seen that data!!!

Date: March 25, 2021 04:36PM

California is going to fall into the ocean. I can't say that I'd blame it.

Date: March 25, 2021 04:42PM

Nope!

It will be as in the song, we're just gonna drift away.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 04:13PM

Yeah, they are getting more frequent, widespread, and more destructive even.

Where I come from, in southern Mississippi, we NEVER used to see them. They were always north of us, in OK, MO, KS, IN, OH, TN, maybe No. Miss..., but never so far south.

Living there in the mid-20-teens, a few tore through North-Central Ms. (while we drove kids to school/ camp activities) doing their typical destruction... I thought those were close. Wshew!

Then, further south, just a few years later:

February 10th, 2013 (I believe), around 5pm, a terrible tornado barreled through a multi-county area (destroying high school play fields, a university campus, and over 600 homes, multiple businesses, and multiple churches, amongst other destruction), and was a close call for us. It took years, or more, for some to fully rebuild or recover.

January 21st, 2017 (I think), around 1pm, a mighty tornado ripped through a different part of town, destroying homes, another university, one of those same churches [that had just completed rebuilding] (it came from a different angle-direction), claiming lives, and causing quite a mess.

Last year - April 12th, 2020, Easter Sunday, around mid-day, a tornado tore though multiple states, from Texas, Louisianna, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee and wherever else, and destroying hundreds of area homes, with some losing nearly everything, and some, not nearly so lucky, losing it all. Nearby: friends, teachers, relatives, neighbors... Pretty bad stuff.

Climate Change = greater and more destructive wind and rain (and other events like Earthquacks, Volcanos, etc.), tornados, and the like.

Early American home on the plains.
https://images.app.goo.gl/ccDxg42Wr35fRjYA7

Living in certain regions of the country, Id consider Extra Strapping, a Storm Shelter, Basement, Sod Roof, Underground Options, Earth-Shelter, Mound Building, etc.

Does it make us wonder why Earlier Americans, especially in the mid-west-south built this way?

Midwest sod roof home-
https://images.app.goo.gl/bmZrK5sxNa9tfxBG9

Look at the Mark Twain biography video. In it, going west, at horse refreshing stops, they came across people whom he'd never seen before, the first people he said he'd seen that had their yard on their roof.

Makes sense
Especially these days

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2021 04:23PM by moremany.

Date: March 25, 2021 04:30PM

If you guys would just wear your masks . . .

Date: March 25, 2021 11:39PM

We aren't dead yet-
Hence, no mask!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 04:45PM

Date: March 25, 2021 07:17PM

Totally huh

I just want to have/ make one for fun, conversation piece/ art/ nature/ emergencies/ (sometimes) save a bundle...

Date: March 25, 2021 07:30PM

Looks like this part of TN will be spared. Alabama gets slammed frequently and I am afraid many are suffering. My home is 2 story and no basement. We hide in the laundry room when these events occur.

Date: March 25, 2021 07:34PM

At least you'll come clean. That's the important part!

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 04:30PM

I live in L.A. county.

My two experiences with tornadoes: One, down the block from me, I sit on a block wall for a few minutes before I head back home. While sitting there, a miniature tornado occurred around my feet, for just a second or two.

The first time was a much bigger experience: I was sitting outside the station on a bench in Arizona, waiting for someone to come and pick me up. while sitting there, a much larger tornado which was switching unevenly across the desert, suddenly turned directly to where I was sitting--where it embraced me, picked up my suitcase, and then set it down again.

For me, it was a small thing to have happened, and happily caused me no trouble. Besides, who would of guessed that after all these years, I would have a chance to recite my little story.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 04:43PM

You could move to Arkansas. It is warmer than the North and beautiful. I live in Missouri and while there are some I've never been directly affect in 20 years.

https://www.policygenius.com/homeowners-insurance/tornadoes-by-state/

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 12:31AM

I checked last night and there was nothing said about your area getting hit. Closest I saw was Nashville. I need a better weather place to check.

Date: March 26, 2021 06:05AM

We were under a tornado watch from 10:30 PM to 2 AM this morning. It was after the weather seemed like it cleared. The local TV meteorologists did not take the late watch announcement too seriously so we went to sleep. Schools closed early and many businesses sent employees home early as well in anticipation of this storm. It was a long day watching the weather. Finished a book while keeping an eye at weather maps.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 12:25PM

You are not allowed to have bad weather I don't know about! It's the LAW!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 02:31AM

Stay safe, Eric!!

(This includes you, and everyone you love and care for.)

Please let us know when the danger dissipates.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 03:08AM

Wishing you good luck and safety, Eric.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 09:22AM

Yes, I can imagine that you are tired of them. I saw some of the destruction on the news last night, and it looked terrible. It's so odd how a tornado can entirely destroy one house and leave the one right next to it intact.

Maryland gets the occasional tornado or waterspout, but it's the hurricanes that can do the real damage here. Thankfully we don't get hurricanes that often.

Date: March 26, 2021 11:41AM

Washington coast has tornado warnings this morning.

https://mynorthwest.com/2704457/washington-coast-tornado-warning-march-2021/

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 02:24PM

I've never heard anyone say they were not tired of tornadoes.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 03:14PM

I'm astounded that the Big Guy In The Sky has missed another golden opportunity to smite you down and strike you with His patented Holy Fury Lightning in retribution for all of the grief and loss of revenue you have caused Him and His Son's church with the running of exmormon for three decades.

Eric, I sleep well at night knowing that Stan has your back!

Date: March 27, 2021 09:35PM

My gosh!

-Right Now-

All across the south
Texas, No. Miss & Alabama, Tennessee (omG), Georgia and the S&N Carolinas...

Wind, rain, HELL?/ tornados likely...

I get mixed up sometimes and forget when HURRICANE season starts and when TORNADO season is DANGEROUS!

Off and On the NW Washington coast, the Olympic Peninsula, the Puget Sound/ Seattle/ Bellingham/ Northwestern Washington on alert tonight and Sunday: Rain & HIGH winds (30-40+ MPH), HELL possible, and snow. No tornados likely. Just cold, wet, wild and windy wintery weather.

Stay Safe Out There - or In There (if you're in there) - y'all!... And Duck And Cover if danger calls.

Hope this isn't a big one.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.