Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 02:30AM

Just sat down and googled about a british musician and a random picture of the band ZZ Top showed up. In the early 2000s I had bought tickets to a concert in Sweden but my grandmother died and I had to cancel my concert visit. Since then I have had this irrational idea that the band brings bad luck to my life. I suspect I also had some bad drunk experience listening to the band at my home around 2013/2014.

I hesitate to listen to the band and it is strange because in the 80s I loved their song Sharp-dressed man. Their red car, their beards. But now I can not stand them, it even feels strange to write about it now. Maybe it is some kind of superstition but the lyrics the band have written gives me chills. La Grange and so on..

Do you experience anything similar to my experience?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 03:14AM

Cauda Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you experience anything similar to my
> experience?

I've never thought about it in exactly this way before, but yeah....sort of.

When I was in the "building my credits list" part of my professional life as a writer, I wrote for a then very popular series of teenage fan magazines.

In my case, this meant that every month I wrote about 1/3 of the content of our three regular magazine titles (the ones that paid the bills of the publishing company I worked for), in addition to the content I wrote for the "Special" issues which we did a few times a year....which meant that I knew (mostly in a professional kind of way) a sizable number of magazine cover subjects.

These were not always pleasant experiences. Rock stars are not generally known for their mensch-like inner characters and outer behaviors. In a number of cases, I was observing as people (including some with deep genuine talent) were literally destroying themselves, in real life, right in front of me.

There are today recording artists I will turn off immediately if their songs play (on the radio or whatever) because I don't want to feel the depressive emotions which inevitably surface if I listen to their work. Although many of them are dead now, I am still instantly taken back to a most personally unhappy, and often desperate, part of my life....a time when I was trying with everything I had inside of me to succeed, despite the fact that I was--in effect--compelled to survive inside an intensely, particularly insane, asylum.

I understand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2021 03:24AM by Tevai.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 09:20AM

There are a number of songs with sexualized lyrics that I found attractive or exciting as a young woman, that now just strike me as scummy. To me, they are the equivalent of a guy grabbing you unexpectedly. Yeah, no.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 09:23AM

I saw many major bands and acts that were touring in the mid- to late 70s. Concert tickets were cheap, and we went out all of the time. I remember seeing Ted Nugent in concert. I guess the wall of oversized amps on the stage should have been my clue. He then proceeded to attempt to destroy his audience's hearing. It was the loudest and most painful concert that I've ever attended, and if I ever lose my hearing, I'll point back to that moment in time. Years later, it was announced that he was suffering from profound hearing loss, and I just mentally shrugged when I heard of it.

Posted by: Ffelix ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 03:38PM

Use to like this kind of thing but always left me with a dark feeling. Now play and write calming and relaxing love songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkW-K5RQdzo

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 04:07PM

I no longer get a bad vibe/ bad feeling about music since I no longer believe in god or satan.

Its a simple matter of liking the music for what it is, some I like, some I don't.

As a young child with mormonism forced on me, I would get the bad vibe when "Whole Lotta Love" came on the radio. Not for the lyrics or music, it just sounded sort of scary or spooky to me for some reason....same with a song about "Hattie the swamp witch"...can't remember who did that one.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 04:10PM

Loud!

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 08:56PM

Sorry to change the direction of the above post, but....

As a Relief Society president (many many years ago), I made it a point to go to the homes of all the inactive women under my care.

I knocked on her apartment door---no answer. So I left a note under her door mat. Instantly, I experienced a very real evil feeling coming from her apartment. So, all I could do afterward was to pray she would throw it away.

Feeling evil can be very real, and very scary.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 12:03PM

Neil Diamond too.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 01:00PM

the band zz top ~

doesn't like OPie either ~

mutual feelings ~

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 01:10PM

I'm sure a good therapist could tease out the reasons, but Primus has always given me the creeps.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 07:25PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 03:42PM

I mostly like folk rock and allied genres. Hard to get much of an evil vibe from Crosby Stills Nash and Young, or the Wailin' Jennies. I do have a surprising (to me at least) and feel good story that Tevai might have some "institutional memory" of, though it was before her time.

Most everyone knows about "the day the music died", Feb 3, 1959, when a plane crash in a storm killed Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper.

The rest of the story is that the concert still went on as scheduled in Moorhead, MN. The promoters had to scramble to find a substitute act and there was a 15 year old kid who had sort of a Buddy Holly cover band in Fargo. They signed the band, and the show went well enough that it started a career for the kid, who adopted the stage name Bobby Vee.

He had several number 1 hits in the early sixties. Rubber Ball. The Night Has a Thousand Eyes are the ones I remember. Went on to have a moderately successful career in LA, eventually moved back to St Cloud, MN, which is kind of Fargo transported to the Mississippi River, where he and three of his four kids that were also musicians did benefit concerts for St Joseph, MN. (Lots of saints in MN - St Olaf, St Kate's, St Joe, St Cloud...)

When his band was first starting up in HS, he had a kid from the Minnesota Iron Range as keyboardist. He was not very good, and they fired him/he quit. He moved to NY, got a guitar and changed his name to Bob Dylan. They remained friends in later life.

Anyway, Bobby Vee sounded like a pretty decent guy, and he got a break because The Show Must Go On. Who'd have thunk.

Date: April 03, 2021 02:33AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Anyway, Bobby Vee sounded like a pretty decent
> guy, and he got a break because The Show Must Go On.
> Who'd have thunk.

Who'd have thunk?

The real world answer is: Anyone who wants to find their own way into the industry (or a company recording contract, etc.).

Although, in many ways, I grew up in the industry (my uncle was a film director--mostly known for his "B" films, mainly mysteries and westerns from Republic Studios)...I went to school with a number of kids who were either already in the industry themselves (singers Penni and Patti Pollack, the Twin Tones, who performed on the Doye O'Dell show every Friday night; Dennis Day--who was one of the original Mouseketeers)....or they were kids who came from show business families. (I went to high school with the daughters of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, and we had many kids throughout my first grade through high-school graduation education whose parents were writers, directors, producers, "craftspeople," musicians, artists, hairdressers, caterers, etc.).

One of the important things about the industry to learn ASAP is: if a given someone wants to break into the industry, volunteer whenever volunteers are needed--no matter what the immediate task may be (so long as you are at least pretty sure you can successfully rise to the challenge).

I was once at Channel 9 in Los Angeles to interview singer Eartha Kitt for one of my regular monthly profiles in LET'S LIVE magazine (health foods, healthy living--very often exemplified by celebrities and other glamourous types living a superfoods, super-healthy lifestyle).

When I arrived at Channel 9 (I was ALWAYS an early arrival), Eartha Kitt was still in the makeup and hair chair. While I was sitting there, just waiting for her to be ready for her eventual interview with me, someone stuck their head in the door and said: "Can anyone here make cue cards?" I raised my hand and said: "I can!" [I had never before made a cue card in my life.]

"Come with me!," I was ordered.

They took me to a nearby room in the studio, showed me the blank cue cards (big pieces of white cardboard), handed me the dialogue I was to write, in VERY large letters, on the cards...showed me where the broad-tipped pens were...and then disappeared out the door.

It was the dialogue for the Eartha Kitt TV-station interview!

I produced the cue cards, took the completed cards to whoever I was supposed to, and sat down, out of camera range, while Eartha Kitt did her interview on live television.

After her on-camera work was over, I followed her back to the dressing room, where I did my own interview with her while she was dressing in street clothes.

At that time, I didn't know if I would ever have reason to claim the credit of "writing cue cards for Eartha Kitt," but if I ever did have the chance, I now had that legitimate credit to make MY presence legitimate!

You just never can tell when a seemingly random credit can mean the difference between getting your foot into the door, and/or getting the exact job at the exact right time which will lead to the entire rest of your entertainment industry career.

Anyone who wanted, or wants, a career in the industry would have done the exact same thing I did.

And probably most everyone who has HAD a career in the industry has a story to tell which likely, in its essentials, is much like mine, when I unexpectedly became an emergency cue card producer for L.A.'s TV Channel 9.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2021 03:04AM by Tevai.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 08:00AM

Thanks for the story. Often life consists of random luck, but you can do things that put you in positions where random luck is more likely to occur.

When I was a kid I thought Eartha Kitt was The Hottest Thing Ever. Just her voice qualified as The Hottest Thing Ever. I am envious. :)

Date: April 03, 2021 12:47PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Thanks for the story. Often life consists of
> random luck, but you can do things that put you in
> positions where random luck is more likely to
> occur.

Absolutely true.

> When I was a kid I thought Eartha Kitt was The
> Hottest Thing Ever. Just her voice qualified as
> The Hottest Thing Ever. I am envious. :)

:D

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 01:49AM

Up With People. Pro-war, white supremacy, and a right wing purity cult that prohibited its married members from sleeping together. And the recruits had to pay for the privilege. It co-opted the early '60s folk boom phenomenon and put a Twilight Zone political slant on it. One of the founders was a UK apologist for Nazi Germany.

Creepiest music video movie is the 1968 documentary about THE YOUNG AMERICANS. It won an award for a documentary and then rescinded, ostensibly for being released in the wrong year for the awards.

That Mike Curb Congregation earworm, "It's a Small, Small World" is brainwashing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2021 02:10AM by snagglepuss.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 05:10AM

I don't like Meat Loaf. I never really loved his music, but I had a bad experience with "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" when I was a senior in college.

I'd gone to my relatives' house for the weekend. My cousin and I went to a party. She's four years younger than I am, and at least when she was a teenager, she was very popular with guys. I, on the other hand, have never been popular with them... except as a bawdy friend.

Anyway, my cousin, who was a high school senior, was going out with this guy who was about my age-- maybe a year or two older. We went to his house to get him for the party. His dad, who was our Uncle Steve's age (and former classmate), was also at the house. He decided to come with us to the party, which was on a big spread a few miles away from my relatives' house.

As my cousin's boyfriend was getting ready, his dad turned on music. One of the songs he played was "Paradise By The Dashboard Light". Somehow, in my then 21 years of life, I had not heard that song before. I was never a fan of Meat Loaf, though, so it's not surprising.

We went to the party. My cousin and her boyfriend disappeared (I later saw them in his car, making out like crazy and probably having sex). I was left alone at this party with a bunch of strangers, some of whom knew my family. I remember having a conversation with a woman who had gone to Randolph-Macon College and had roomed with a former high school classmate of mine, who wasn't a friend.

As the night wore on, and I was sitting there alone at this party, my cousin's boyfriend's dad came over to me. He was very, very drunk-- so much so, that he couldn't keep his eyes open. He started aggressively hitting on me (bear in mind, he was in his 50s and I was 21). He said I was "cute" and asked me to ride home with him, where we would wait together for his son and my cousin. I refused, not just because he was a scuzzy old man who was hitting on me, but also because he was extremely drunk.

The guy immediately called me a bitch and cursed at me in front of all of the people at this party, almost none of them I knew at all. I finally had to go ask the hostess if I could use her phone. I called my aunt, who came to get me. When we were in the car, my aunt was fuming and said she felt like taking her daughter to the "emergency room", because she knew she and that guy had been having sex. We went to the scuzzy guy's house to get my uncle's truck, which I had to drive.

I ended up having to go back to the party to get my cousin, driving my uncle's truck with "three on the tree". I apologized to my cousin for ruining her evening... and in fact, felt awful for ruining the party. To this day, I don't enjoy parties, and I don't like Meat Loaf. It always reminds me of that humiliating night.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2021 05:14AM by knotheadusc.

Date: April 03, 2021 03:29PM

Jeez, I would be feeling exactly the same way.

Some unforgettably bad memories we unwillingly carry forward with us for decades can be intensely upsetting whenever they come to mind.

I am sorry this happened to you.

Posted by: holycarp ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 11:20PM

Burl Ives.

Met him when I was 13 at my uncle's home. He was arrogant and had the most creepy vibe. When he smiled I felt it was hiding a sinister motive. Was not a nice person.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 07:39AM

holycarp Wrote:
> Burl Ives.
>
> Met him when I was 13 at my uncle's home. He was
> arrogant and had the most creepy vibe. When he
> smiled I felt it was hiding a sinister motive. Was
> not a nice person.

I remember when I was worked at Busch Gardens in the early 90s, he was doing some kind of artist thing, reading stories to kids in the heat. I remember thinking he was kind of creepy even then. I can’t imagine being a little kid at Busch Gardens, wanting to hear a story read by Burl Ives when I could be on the rides.

Posted by: Phoney Moroni ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 12:55PM

I liked the first two albums by The Killers. Not in a super fan way but I thought that they were two of the better albums that I bought from the mid 2000s.

I kind of went of them when I saw that ridiculous TV appearance were the Jack Mormon flowers, tried telling Richard Dawkins that he needed to "Do some proper research", regarding his claims about Joseph Smith.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.