Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 07:05PM

So, my father just commissioned me to design and apply a decal to his car. It's a Plain Jane, so, the idea he wanted was like a woodplane, with like Jane Jetson sitting on it. And I am pretty sure he wants me to paint this straight onto the hood.

I'm pretty sure this is something I could do, from the designing and application standpoint. I'm a painter, a cartoonist, and I've done murals before but that was with oil paints.

However, I am not a professional car painter and I have no idea what I would use to paint this thing. Probably not oils? I'm not even sure if this is possible to do with paintbrush and straight onto the metal of the car?

If there is someone who knows cars and knows decorating cars can tell me something about this? I am of the mind to refuse because that's not something I'm trained in and I'm not comfortable just taking what I want to this beautiful old car and making a mess. So, is my father crazy for asking me to do this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 07:25PM

Just a first stab: investigate air brushing. And you will likely need a great deal of automotive masking tape. A cartoon character will be a lot easier than a real person or animal.

Date: April 02, 2021 07:49PM

Thank you for the attempt offered.

I don't know how to airbrush paint and it's not something I'm looking to learn about. I'd need an airbrush gun for that, wouldn't I?

I'm more of the paintbrush type of artist, so any aerosol or spray would need several months for me to master in order just to do the project itself. But see, that's why I don't think him asking me will work. The paint layered on the car with the brush strokes, even if he put like the top coat over top, those grooves and raised bits would cause a problem, yeah?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2021 07:50PM by thegoodman.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 09:16PM

Could you draw it and then have it reproduced on decal-type material to apply to the car ? I would call or write to Count’s Custom Cars in Las Vegas (not sure of the exact name —-or similar industry) and tell them what your dad asked you to do. They may be gracious enough to point you in the right direction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2021 10:41PM by kathleen.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 10:52PM

You might go to a paint store that specializes in auto paints.

They can advise you on the type of paint used on the car, ie enamel, acrylic, etc. Buy some samples.

If that gets you going in the right direction, then go a junk yard and find a door, trunk lid or other car part that is similar to material and year as you Dad's vehicle.

Take it home and try your hand with the painting method you're most comfortable.

Determine if you can do justice to Dad's desire.

Good luck.

Date: April 03, 2021 08:12AM

Thank you. I didn't even realize you could paint with paintbrushes on cars. But apparently people do! That's how they make pinstripes?? Well, you learn something new everyday.

Thank you everyone.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 07:41PM

No. That's not how they make pinstripes. They do that by painting the area with the pinstripe color, using a spray gun or air brush. Then they put masking tape of the desired width over the painted area and spray again with the final color. Then the remove the tape and the pinstripes are revealed. There may be other ways- search the internet- but that is the more common way.

Source: I used to work in the paint department of a truck factory.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 04:44PM

There are a few wizards that can pinstripe cars with a special brush but they are few and far between

Date: April 04, 2021 05:42PM

Several years ago I watched some of those car customizing tv shows, Boyd Carrington (sp) and they were doing some fancy pin stripping with brushes.

You can get the brushes at Amazon today.

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Shop-Pinstriping-Master-Scroll/dp/B07K8SHY3L/ref=asc_df_B07K8SHY3L/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070139302633&psc=1

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 06:02PM

When I was a kid I'd follow the work of Von Dutch...aka Kenny Howard..a legendary pinstriper/beatnik

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 10:13PM

Like you, I have painted with oil paints before (it was a one semester painting class, but it counts!) on canvas. I also have experience painting metal before; I was a deckhand on an aircraft carrier. While I don't have a lot of firsthand knowledge (painting a haze-gray ship's compartment and painting an original design on a car are completely different), I'm sure professional car painters could airbrush your design on the Plain Jane.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 25, 2021 11:26AM

Art Cars

hAirbrush
Spray Can
Paintbrush
Decal
Impression
Lazer kit
Free Hand
Pattern
(Banksy)?

¶π√\Von Dutch-+÷:•*

How did it turn out?
Or did you turn in?

Sometimes it's better to do it yourself (to have it done right).

Other times its better left to the pros!

It'll look ten times better, last ten times longer, save ten times the time, cost ten times less - or 10 x more - and involve ten times less clean-up/ mess.

Date: May 25, 2021 01:05PM

thegoodman()

What's the status of your efforts to fix up your Dad's car?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 25, 2021 02:11PM

Consider pigment durability, especially regarding exposure to sun (fading). Then there are the other elements, rain, dust, etc. You'll want to check out an appropriate, quality clear coat to protect your finished work.

Sounds like an engaging project--take your time, do your research, and enjoy!

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: May 25, 2021 02:54PM

You're on the right track. However, you must use a two component (2K) clearcoat. But the main issue is compatibility. Test, test, test. If you use a single stage enamel as your paint, a Urethane topcoat may wrinkle (blister) the base paint. The only way to be sure is to make test panels and make sure that you stay within the recoat times. I spent 35 years in the industry working for PPG Auto and Aircraft finishes as well as SW Automotive. It's a science. And expensive to fix screwups. Some reds on certain cars can cost up to $700.00/pint.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 25, 2021 05:38PM

GoodMan: visit auto customizing shops and ask about the products they use. My guess is that some floor clerk at AutoZone may not be provide the best info.

Edit: GoodMan, maybe you can get a similar auto panel (hood, fender or door section) from a junk yard and use that for product testing and artistic practice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2021 05:40PM by caffiend.

Date: May 26, 2021 10:24AM

The first thing he needs to know is what kind of coatings that he's going to paint over. Lacquer (doubtful if the vehicle is newer than 1983), Enamel or BC/CC. He can get a free panel from a body shop. They pay people to haul away their wrecked sheetmetal, or he can go to a Keystone Automotive facility and get a new fender, hood or door skin that's been damaged in shipping (they have a dumpster full of them. But, they're in ED primer and not a replica of what he'll be painting over.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 25, 2021 10:54PM

use lacquer paint.

Date: May 26, 2021 10:18AM

Do NOT use lacquer paint! Use a urethane basecoat and an acrylic urethane clearcoat. Lacquer hasn't been used on OE cars since 1983 and provides the least amount of UV and chemical resistance. Plus, once you clearcoat it with a urethane clear, you can't repair it without it lifting.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 01:13AM

Hell, I am struggling just to blend Copics! If you do decide to do something, please do share your work :)

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 11:23AM

Any outdoor Enamel will do.
Get sonme 4 oz. cans and get to work

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2021 11:23AM by thedesertrat1.

Date: May 26, 2021 01:05PM

Nope. Out door enamels can be softened and washed away with gas, carburetor cleaner or many other solvents. Plus, durability under UV and road grime is poor. He could use One Shot, which is what car guys use for pin stripes, as long as he clearcoats it after.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.