Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 04:08PM

An article in today’s “Desperate News” has a photo of a family dressed in their Sunday best to watch conference on a SATURDAY?!?
They would fall in the category of ‘Nazi Mormons.’
(Robert Kirby’s classification, not mine).

Did any of you, fallen angels, have do that?

https://www.deseret.com/faith/22364666/april-general-conference-2021-talks-photos

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 05:54PM

I've known people who did that. Even back in the 60's, when you'd see conference on a local CBS affiliate in the LA area, my foster family would put on church clothes to watch conference, and were short with me when I didn't know to close my eyes and bow my head with the man on TV was giving a prayer.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 06:07PM

Copy-cat attire means obedience & loyalty to the tribe!

pity the poor mormons, this year the 6th falls mid-week, that's the date the prefer to have conference on; Easter means next to nothing in Morland.

Posted by: hujo ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 07:18PM

Ugh luckily I don't have to do that

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 07:49PM

On the other extreme, my uncle had conference playing on the radio while he worked in his wood shop. His table saw made less of a droning sound than the radio.

Posted by: Matt P ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 08:38PM

My dad always started working in the gardern on the first Saturday of April. Always had conference on the radio in the background. Now days you can watch conference anytime online so if he misses some he doesn't stress.

We were never forced to dress up for conferences watching from home. Only dressed up for the Saturday evening priesthood session at the church.

Date: April 03, 2021 08:44PM

my son IL works a lot of nights, so his day-times are often spent sleeping;

So instead of taking his valuable time for sitting in front of a TV in chapel or living room, I'd much rather he'd go biking or some other more family-oriented activity not mentioning how drool, repetitive, boring & un-inspiring conference is
gu arrr ann teed to be;

O, did I error & mention my ideas / feelings about conference?

my.bad.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 09:34PM

Brothers and Sisters, casual and unkempt attire does not invite the Spirit of the Lard. To fully benefit from the Inspired Teachings of the Lard's Anointed, you should dress as if you were meeting the Savior, Even Jesus Christ.

Just checking to see if I can still speak fluent Mormonese.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 01:08AM

Well, it could be considered over-dressing or "dressing up", or simply "looking 'out of place'"... or perhaps it's a matter of others being dressed down (by guess who), 'improperly' dressed ~@@~ or wearing what they shouldn't, slouching, or simply "looking 'out of place'".

I don't care what others are wearing - or what day it is (for that matter) - unless they are entertaining me (but that's a different issue, story, or matter altogether [if they are under my direction or charge]). Then I REALLY care. It makes a BIG difference.

Are we all dressed so well, so properly, so appropriate for every occasion, All The Time, wherever we go, that we never look - or feel - over or under dressed, out of place or uncomfortable?

Not everyone has style, pizzazz, taste, a choice, or the money, or even gives much as a thought to dressing well, or properly for an occasion... And/ Or they don't care.

An occasion to one may not be for another. Who cares how others dress, unless you are at a show. This was on the street right?

People used to wear the same things everyday. It looked like the same thing. People also once worked 7 days a week. This wasn't dressing up. People may have places to go - even if it's just back to where they come from.

What is - or isn't - with personal choice? Some still dress 'up' on Saturday. Others because it makes them look and/ or feel good/ better, to fit in, and/ or because they have to.

Date: April 04, 2021 01:18AM

(nudist me!) too much emphasis on clothing, our 'body masks'

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 05:03AM

Sorry, we won't be watching Mormon conference, on account of it's EASTER.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 07:21PM

I, for one, don’t need a reason or a conflict to not watch conference.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 08:17PM

They dress up for at home church all these months.

They work at home right now and they dress as if they are going to work.

I've worked at home for over 30 years and I wear my pjs to work. It is a lot more comfortable and I spend the rest of my life in jeans.

I had to buy 3 dressed for my boyfriend's son's wedding as I had zero. I've only worn 2 of them since to 2 funerals.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 08:50AM

For the past year, I've been wearing (nice) sweat pants daily with a plain cotton tee-shirt on top. I wear that to teach at home, and having recently gone back to school a couple of days a week, I wear it there as well (I wanted things that I could just throw in the washer.) This goes against a lifetime of wearing business casual to work. I've noticed that the younger teachers don't care, which was happening even before the pandemic. They wear sweats and jeans to school, and no one says a word.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 08:19PM

My dad never ever ever watched conference. We didn't have to watch it either thought my mom would have it on loud, but we could go play or do whatever we wanted. Never in a million would our family have dressed up to watch conference.

My "husband" just said (when I told him our daughter dresses up for home church) "Where did I go wrong?!?!"

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 11:51PM

Yeah, we did that. It sucked. I learned that if you were annoying enough you could get sent out of the room or at least be allowed a book. I can do anything as long as I have a book :)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 11:58PM

I think I was 16 when my family finally got cable. I lived out in the boonies, but my Dad wouldn't pay for cable tv when it first came down our street.

Then we all had to write crummy letters to the cable operators to beg them to carry the LDS Conference during our Sunday school class. Naturally, I complained that I shouldn't even write such a letter to the Sierra View Cable Co because I wasn't even a customer of said service. I was told to shut up and write out a blubbering letter following the script that had been provided by the church's media representative. So dishonest!

So when we finally had an opportunity to watch GC at home at cable, I had to go to the stake center to watch! Dad wouldn't attend because he found out that his beloved football games could be clearly seen on cable tv; especially in October!

Date: April 05, 2021 12:59AM

One sunday afternoon, my daughter & SIL were having guests over after church, but the lawn was badly needing mowing...

So, SIL, dressed in white shirt & tie MOWED THE LAWN ON SUNDAY!!!

I laughed so hard internally but I kept it to myself...

DAMN, I should have taken a picture O O O O O

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2021 01:02AM by GNPE.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 01:21PM

I noticed that church publications were asking members to submit pictures of their families watching GC. Another opportunity for the "perfect Mormon families" to virtue signal that they follow the profit.

Do you think families watching TV in their house grubbies will make the cut?

Of course, not!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 01:24PM

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 02:08AM

I'm told my Great-Aunt insisted on wearing her black veil to watch JFK's funeral on television.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.