Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Alax Clifton ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 11:05AM

Joy got up and loudly and emotionally declared that abusing of children is wrong. Then the rest of her talk suggested that LDS parents should put spiritual pressure on their children so they they don't stray from the church. She said, "Its better to sweat at training(the lds home) than to bleed on the battlefield." She lit a fire under the butts of LDS parents to be even harder on their children.

There is an increase in suicides every six months in Utah, right after conference. I wonder if this year's batch will be bigger than normal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 12:01PM

Well, you know the old mormon saying:

"A parent who parents best, parents best...apparently...or bi-parently."

You have to admit, it's hard to resist that kind of logic.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 12:25PM

Well, that talk will have the result of making life miserable for those young people who wish to distance themselves from, or leave the church.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 12:48PM

My sister was tough on her 3 kids. They all left the church. They all started smoking and drinking at age 15 (one followed the other). Then they all got pregnant or got someone pregnant at 19 and unmarried. Luckily their lives have worked out well and they are very successful kids.

My nephew's wife wanted to take their kids to some religion and he told her, "Go ahead, but I served my sentence."

I'm the "lucky" one. My daughter is the only grandchild/great grandchild who is mormon in any fashion. She and her husband were going to go to a movie last night until they realized it was priesthood session. I had a little hope there for a second.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2021 12:48PM by cl2.

Posted by: Jesus of Orem ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 12:51PM

The Parable of the Toothpaste Tube

"A certain woman squeezed a toothpaste tube, and verily toothpaste came out. And lo, as she fiercely squeezed the tube with much fierceness, yet more toothpaste escaped the strait confines of the tube. And much of the toothpaste escaped, and behold, she could not put the toothpaste back into the confines of the tube. And she wept, and lamented the amount of the toothpaste that had escaped forever, and had no Joy."

Date: April 04, 2021 12:56PM

I am choosing to focus on the possibility that someone will see a marketing opportunity in your parable!

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 02:49PM

At camping stores, you can buy cleanable refillable tubes for peanut butter, jelly and such. The leadership just needs to camp and backpack more.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 03:25PM

Sad that Joy Jones can't see the correlation between child abuse and forcing a child to be spiritual.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 03:34PM

Sounds more like Joyless Jones.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 04:31PM

Joy Jones does realize that parents can abuse their kids without hitting them, right? Of course, it could be that she knows that and wants LDS parents to get more creative in mental scarring their kids into submission. "Be a good Mormon or we'll make your life miserable" is NOT good parenting.

BTW, the "training" and "battlefield" references bug me. The Morg aren't a military branch, so they should stop talking like one. And, technically, training a minor for battle is training a child soldier.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 05:37PM

Maybe missionaries are bringing parenting tips home from Uganda.

Date: April 04, 2021 06:18PM

"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have Joy."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.