Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 12:48PM

reading their talks off the teleprompter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are not giving a talk
They are reading a pre written speech possibly by speechwriters

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 12:50PM

You all fill us in on what is being said. Obviously someone told listeners to say something about Christ on fb as all my mormon friends have posted something about "He is risen." Even those who don't ever post any other time.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 01:29PM

I second that! I've got bigger things to think about than a bunch of old men talking to an empty room. gag

Date: April 12, 2021 06:02PM

gemini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I second that! I've got bigger things to think
> about than a bunch of old men talking to an empty
> room. gag

One comment Orwell's 1984

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2021 06:41PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 07, 2021 03:01AM

At their age, Christ is the only thing that’s risen.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 01:33PM

I think we've heard here before that all of their speeches are written for them (with their input,) and are vetted beforehand. If something slips out that shouldn't, it's corrected on the video and written records.

Date: April 12, 2021 06:00PM

summer Wrote:
> I think we've heard here before that all of their
> speeches are written for them (with their input,)
> and are vetted beforehand. If something slips out
> that shouldn't, it's corrected on the video and
> written records.
If my memory serves me correctly this has been happening since my childhood days in the 1940's
I rember a furor about a George Albert Smith talk that was modified, I believe, in the Improvement Era.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 04:08PM

I on e had a coworker in govt, a beautiful ex-mormon woman who was a returned missionary. She was brilliant, too, and had a master's degree from BYU in English. BYU grad students in English were/are the ones who would proof-read the talks before they were put on the teleprompter. She was told that she could correct any of the talks except those of a member of the First Presidency; for them she could only correct the spelling. If you knew Jaelynn, you would never challenge her like this. One day James Faust's talk was littered over and over with the word "awesome," and she wrote a note in the margin pointing it out, and suggesting synonyms. She was promptly called in to Faust's office, and had to drive to SLC to meet him. She said that Faust verbally attacked her, yelling and using some choice swear words, like "shit." I might have not believed her, but Jaelynn would never even stretch the truth, let alone lie about anything.

Postscript: I was in State Dept, and Jaelynn was CIA. As is the custom at CIA, she was promoted quickly, a thing with CIA to keep their case officers satisfied so that they will feel allegiance to the org, and not be tempted to sell secrets to someone else. Like so many others, Jaelynn made GS-15 quickly and was encouraged to retire early, apparently another CIA ploy to clear the older employees and bring in new blood Within a few years of her early retirement, she passed away from cancer. I have never known anyone to go so uncomplaining and gracefully to her death. Before she passed, she gave me a tarot card reading that was more accurate than anyone's "patriarchal blessing."

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 06, 2021 04:21PM

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 07, 2021 03:08AM

I will never complain about my retirement plan.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: April 07, 2021 03:20AM

I have met with Faust. I don't believe what is written by you. To each their own. Faust was a good man.

Date: April 08, 2021 08:26PM

Your prerogative, of course. When she was telling me the story, I also said that I always had the impression that Faust was somebody I'd like as a grandfather. I really liked how he spoke at the pulpit. But again, Jaelynn was not the type to even stretch the truth. My only choice is to believe her.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 08, 2021 08:39PM

I have noticed that some people, who are touted as being wonderful to those they meet in the capacity of whatever their capacity is, can be quite uncaring, or even cruel when servants and their children are involved.

I don't have a horse in this race; I'm just pointing out a way that allows for both reporters to be correct.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 08, 2021 03:29PM

Interesting. I live within the District axis, and I've never met anyone who would openly admit to working for the CIA. You can often figure it out, and it's understood, but no one ever says so directly. You must have worked with her very closely.

Date: April 08, 2021 08:39PM

I knew her for years. Also, when you work in State or for any of the other myriad offices in any normal embassy, you get to know CIA rather well. At large embassies, the CIA chief of station has the same ranking as the ambassador. I find them more annoying that most of the offices, but not nearly so annoying as FBI people, who have a presence only in some of the large embassies. Jerks, seemingly all of them. I believe that there is a CIA presence at every single US diplomatic post. In fact, some diplomatic posts have no diplomatic duties, such as consular section, or any real State Dept duties to perform, have a very small staff of State employees, and often operate in a section of a country where we really don't need a consulate. But the mentality is, you never close a post, or else you risk not being able to come back and open it again should you need to. So there are small consulates that are kept open only for the benefit of their CIA presence.

CIA, incidentally, are just moms and dads doing a job like everywhere else. All this stuff like that new Queen Latifa program is total BS, in that I don't think that any CIA officer can beat up anyone, knows martial arts, or any of that. They work in an office, have kids at home, all just normal-normal. I always wanted to be one so that I could be on the fast track to promotion.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 05:09PM

Mormons have this weird fantasy that being unprepared means you are inspired by The Lard.

Right.

All conferences, religious and corporate, prepare presentations in advance. They need to see that there is a reasonable distribution of subjects. If they are simultaneously translated while being presented, the translators need a copy of the presentation in advance, unless the organization is willing to live with some bobbled translation. Anyone who uses captioning of television shows knows that the captioning of prerecorded programs is vastly superior in both content and timing, compared to captioning of live, unscripted programs.

Yes, GC talks are prepared, coordinated and vetted in advance. That has been true for many decades.

Date: April 06, 2021 04:31PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Mormons have this weird fantasy that being
> unprepared means you are inspired by The Lard.
>
> Right.
>
> All conferences, religious and corporate, prepare
> presentations in advance. They need to see that
> there is a reasonable distribution of subjects. If
> they are simultaneously translated while being
> presented, the translators need a copy of the
> presentation in advance, unless the organization
> is willing to live with some bobbled translation.
> Anyone who uses captioning of television shows
> knows that the captioning of prerecorded programs
> is vastly superior in both content and timing,
> compared to captioning of live, unscripted
> programs.
>
> Yes, GC talks are prepared, coordinated and vetted
> in advance. That has been true for many decades.
Hey!!! BOJ we agree

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 06, 2021 07:47PM

Except you see it as some kind of defect, while I see it as what any competently professional organization ought to do.

But yeah, other than that, we agree. I find Sumerians fascinating too. There’s always common ground. ;)

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 06, 2021 05:59PM

Keep it in line
Don't get out of line
Hold on the line
Line out

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 06, 2021 11:13PM

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 08, 2021 11:42AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 08, 2021 12:17PM

most of the testimonkeys given in F&TM are pretty highly scripted too;

If there's one thing Mormons are taught & most learn, it's what's acceptable & what's not.

'from the heart' ? Well, the heart doesn't think & not all brains do either.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: April 08, 2021 04:28PM

D&C 84:85 says: "Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say [when preaching]:

George Q. Cannon (First Presidency) said: "We are commanded to be subject to the direction of the Holy Spirit when we arise to speak; for if we speak as we should do, it is not we who speak, but it is the Spirit of God which speaks through us. On this account, the Elders of the Church do not, at least as a rule, prepare themselves before hand with either written or memorized sermons, for if they were to do so, they would depart from the order of heaven, and would prove utter failures." Ogden, (Weber Stake Conference), Sunday Morning, July 21, 1889

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 08, 2021 05:19PM

So let it be unwritten, so let it be so - "would prove utter failures."

Date: April 08, 2021 05:51PM

AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 11, 2021 06:40PM

Fifty years ago they were all pre written so it is nothing new. As a CN writer talks were given to us days before they were delivered so that we could writer a report of them ahead of time. We would watch their delivery, either on TV or in person, with a copy before us for comparison. If they changed something or went off script we often had time to make the appropriate corrections before the print run.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.