Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 01:17PM

Joseph Smith
Any reference to truthfulness of BoM
No mention of scriptures from PoGP
No mention of any issues that are causing members to have a faith crisis
No mention of discussion of First vision
I have always found it interesting to focus on what is not said is really important to show what is happening behind the curtains.

Another observation. Is there anything that was said at this conference you would not hear from any other Christian Church or self image workshop. I do not see this church as different anymore from other ministers and what they teach from the pulpit.

I watch The top 3 guys very closely. Sorry but they just do not seem to be great leaders. How could Irving be a leader except to teach people how to weep. How can Dusty Rusty stand and face the world knowing he has complete control of over 100 billion dollars and not address that issue. I could not do that.

Will young people be impressed by this conference? Will they be motivated to stay in Church? I see nothing there anymore. It seems like lots of words but they seem empty. Anyone else feel the same way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 01:27PM

Why would anyone want to join, or stay in, such a high demand religion, if they can get the same message from virtually any Christian denomination?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 01:36PM

That's my question. It's not like mainstream Christianity is having a Renaissance.

To me, the "strengths" of Mormonism are the wacky beliefs and customs, and the sense of community which has sadly been neglected in recent years. Take both of those away, and you have little left with which to differentiate yourself.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 01:37PM

Agree

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 05:45PM

Intensified by having no in person church. If all members have is virtual meetings without spark they may start asking what it's all about. Prolonged absence can make the heart grow fonder. Or not.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 01:30AM

Mormonism IS A Self-Contained community.

Posted by: Perdition ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 12:53PM

Exactly. That is the key to understanding its survival/persistence.

Date: April 04, 2021 02:23PM

How about Love for God & Neighbor?

what about Honesty, Kindness, respect for others?

- Golden Rule?

- Parable of the Good Samaritan?

How about a quote from the 14th Dalai Lama:

"Be kind whenever possible; It Is Always Possible"

Will ANY of the FP or the Q unequivocally give a specific testimony of the CoJCoLDS being the only True & Correct church?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2021 02:26PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 04:36PM

It’s astonishing how little enthusiasm these speakers have. They were bland beyond bland. None of them had any sense of rhythm or rhetoric at all. It was so dull.

Also, what was up with that backdrop? It looked like a cheap stage set, with those (stone? wood? painted?) insets. I’ve frankly seen better on high school sets. Just weird and cheap.

Tyson

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 10:21PM

A neverMo friend of mine was driving from Oregon to MN 20-some years ago, and while driving across Idaho, stumbled across a GC speech on the radio. His reaction: the man sounded profoundly tired.

Apparently they think that makes them sound spiritual. Or spirachul.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 12:25AM

They aren’t tired, they’re in a trance. I’ll bet some special brownies before GC would help things along.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 06:15PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 01:33AM

As if they'd ever let you go back and resume your depredations in the Relief Society room!

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 09:52AM

I would differ in the opinion that what you hear at conference might be just like what you would hear in any other church. Not in my experience.

Date: April 05, 2021 10:59AM

All of the GC talks were united in barely mentioning Brother Joseph. He was conspicuous by his absence.

Date: April 05, 2021 09:33PM

in 9 more years, they are going to have a hard time ignoring JoJu.

I'm looking forward to making it to June 27, 2044, hoping I'm still spry enough to raise a toast to the Gun Fight at the Carthage Corral.

By then, the church will yawn and hand out a two-paragraph press release about one of the tools used by the lord to restore the All Jesus, All The Time Church.

Date: April 06, 2021 09:03AM

'the Gun Fight at the Carthage Corral' oh man, that really made me laugh. I have to slip that into conversation the next time my ward sends me a couple of Morgborgs...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2021 09:04AM by Perdition.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 06, 2021 10:05AM

Dead on. Any body seen our old friend Joseph?

"Hey Brothers and Sisters. How's that Joseph Smith thing workin' out for you these days? I mean, he restored Jesus' gospel when even Jesus himself couldn't do it for thousands of years. Doesn't he even get a shout out these days?"

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 06, 2021 10:06AM

I am so tired of seeing Brother Joseph’s name dragged through the mud. Remember he has done more, save Jesus only, to bring salvation to the souls of men!!!!!

Sure he did many things throughout his life that might appear to the unenlightened to be nothing more than scams. And sure, he used the same peep stone that he used to try to defraud people in treasure seeking expeditions to later translate the most correct book on the face of the earth. God was obviously using Brother Joseph’s experience with folk magic to prepare him for his divine work. And yes, he did marry dozens of women, as he was commanded to do-just like the prophets of old. I bet the prophets of old sent people away on missions and married their wives when they were gone. And sure, he violated every one of God’s requirements for plural marriage from Section 132, but it was to raise up a righteous seed! Ans there is no doubt that many of his wives were teenagers, including one who was several months shy of her fifteenth birthday, but 37 year old men marrying 14 year old girls was very common in those days!!!!!!!!!!!!

Praise to the man!

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 06, 2021 09:59AM

I only watched two talks, but from that I can say there is a big difference between Mormondom and Christianity. In christianity when talking about tribulations, and the hard things we go through in life, they have a positive message that Christ will help you in your life, etc.

The mormon bretheren I heard said that when you face troubles in life and unfairness and tragedy, it will all work out if you continue to obey 'all your covenants' then maybe you can expect blessings in the next life.

What kind of a lazy ASS promise is that? I'm tempted to say that Mormonism isn't a living religion with a living God.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 06, 2021 10:09AM

Even a simple primary message aimed at children had a parting shot like this: Yes, Heavenly Father loves you, but only if you live a sin-free life.

Always conditional with the point that you're not good enough for praise or merit.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: April 06, 2021 11:07AM

Given their (claimed) ‘Family Values’ emphasis, did anyone speak ( other than church) how to build love & loving?
Did anyone mention “the evils of divorce” like they used to?

curious

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 06, 2021 11:42AM

Secular Priest asked what was missing from conference talks. The thread makes one thing clear. Not just conference, but Mormonism in general has run right off the rails. No big pile up of cars, just stuck in generic sand after Russ tossed all the good out the window.

Every salesman knows, which means every church leader knows, what all strippers know, and that is, "You gotta have a gimmick!" as Miss Mazzeppa revealed during her number in Gypsy. "If you're gonna bump it, bump it with a trumpet!"

So the Mormon gimmicks are gone. No talk of Joseph, first vision. No new revelation. Former prophet now Global Faith Leader. No "trumpet" that. How generic can you get. And for heaven's sakes, Do Not Mention the Book of Mormon. And what Book of Abraham? Huh?

Makes me wonder. The Black churches. What would happen if you took out the jubilant gospel choirs? Told the ladies to quit their famous fancy hats and dress and told them to tone it down? No more shouting AMEN. Is it only the Bible they go for? Of course the bible does have the gimmick quality, but is it enough?

Holy Rollers, Snake Handlers, Fiery Sermons from the pulpit of hellfire and damnation. Fancy robes and hats and gold chalices. Isn't that what keeps it all going? And grand messages of love, not the stingy Mormon kind, but about real love and forgiveness preached to wrap it all up as Jesus on the Cross hangs in triumphant loving despair. Worked in the past, but all the churches need to up their gimmicks if they want any retention at all.

The clock is ticking. Tik Tok?

Date: April 06, 2021 03:41PM

Exactly right. There's a whole lot of airbrushing/downplaying underway. It's like Kirland and Nauvoo never happened.No references to Brigham Young either.

Date: April 06, 2021 04:07PM

why, without JS, BY, or even Howard Hunter's & others speeches - talks against Divorce,

Without the BoM, PoGP, etc....

without 'And I'm A Mormon',etc.

they just might be forced to teach & focus on Love for God & Neighbor, the Golden Rule, Parable of the Good Samaritan...

this.just.can't.be.allowed in Morland!

Date: April 06, 2021 04:57PM

Don't worry, Mormons will always have Tithing to keep them together.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.