Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 11:51AM

Apostle Gary E. Stevenson encouraged kindness in every aspect of life — from stepping up against bullies to fighting racial hatred.

“While bullying is not a new concept, social media and technology have brought bullying to a new level. It becomes a more constant, ever-present threat — cyberbullying,” he told young people. “Clearly, the adversary is using this to hurt your generation. There is no place for this in your cyberspace, neighborhoods, schools, quorums or classes. Please do all you can to make these places kinder and safer.”

Racial hatred also needs to stop, he said.

“We have been heartbroken to hear of recent attacks on people who are Black, Asian, Latino or of any other group,” he said. “Prejudice, racial tension or violence should never have any place in our neighborhoods, communities or within the church.”

Stevenson recalled stories of “narrow-minded parents” who tell their children that they cannot play with a particular child in the neighborhood simply because his or her family do not belong to the LDS Church.

“This kind of behavior is not in keeping with the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ,” he said. “I cannot comprehend why any member of our church would allow these kinds of things to happen. ... I have never heard the members of this church urged to be anything but loving, kind, tolerant and benevolent to our friends and neighbors of other faiths.”

Stevenson encouraged inclusion and “love thy neighbor.”

“The Lord expects us to teach that inclusion is a positive means towards unity,” he said, “and that exclusion leads to division.”
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
No word on when the Racist Doomsday CULT would redact the racist/white supremacy out of the most racist books on Earth ever to be mistaken for scripture.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 12:14PM

> No word on when the Racist
> Doomsday CULT would redact
> the racist/white supremacy
> out of the most racist books
> on Earth ever to be mistaken
> for scripture.

But they did! Ghawd had them change "White and delightsome" to "Pure and delightsome" !!!

And they are seriously trying to change mormonism into their wacky form of Christianity; they know you're right and they ARE moving away from any lingering signs of racism. (but not homophobia, yet...)

You just hate them too much...   You hate the church like Southerners hate Nigerians, and not only is it unappealing, but it's bad for you. You need to let Ziller help you learn to "Change and move on". Go to him, humble yourself, let him make you whole again.

Date: April 05, 2021 12:44PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But they did! Ghawd had them change "White and
> delightsome" to "Pure and delightsome" !!!

Idealize you are kidding, but even though they replaced ‘white’ with ‘pure’ to be less blatantly white supremacist, it’s Still white supremacist, “pure and delightsome” is just code for “white”. Wherever you see “white” in MORmON Scripture it is always associated with ‘purity’ or ‘virginal’ or ‘delightsome’. Whenever you see ‘dark’ or ‘black’ it is always demonized, wicked, or cursed, especially in regards to skin/race.

> And they are seriously trying to change mormonism
> into their wacky form of Christianity; they know
> you're right and they ARE moving away from any
> lingering signs of racism. (but not homophobia,
> yet...)
>
> You just hate them too much...   You hate the
> church like Southerners hate Nigerians, and not
> only is it unappealing, but it's bad for you. You
> need to let Ziller help you learn to "Change and
> move on". Go to him, humble yourself, let him
> make you whole again.

I don’t hate ‘them’. I hate hate. I want to destroy the institution of racism and debunk the white supremacist narratives racists use to justify hate.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 01:17PM

neither you nor anybody else will be able to destroy racism or the theories supporting it. The absolute best we can hope for is to 1) keep these people away from having the power to harm those they don't like; and 2) pass and enforce laws at all government levels that a) promote greater minority participation in society; and b) create severe penalties for those found to have engaged in racist behaviors, especially violent racist behaviors.

Date: April 05, 2021 01:35PM

I realize I can’t destroy racism, but I can stand up to abusive bullies when I see abusive bullying gaslighting. An ‘Apostle’ standing up at General Conference and denouncing bullying and racism, in front of the one demographic that supported a racist bully more than any other demographic, is gaslighting, especially when he represents a racist institution that refuses to edit out the blatant racism and white supremacy that you can STILL find littering MORmON ‘scriptures’. When I was representing that same CULT, I could excuse the racist statements of past leaders as ‘products of their day and age’, but you can’t dismiss ‘the Word of God’ the same way. If it is supposedly ‘divine revelation’ then that makes the God of MORmONism a racist white supremacist. But if you say that racism and white supremacy in the BoM and BoA are ‘just products of their day and age’ then that calls into question their authenticity as ‘revelation from God’. Where do you stop that line of questioning?
Now it seems like the missionary tactic is to deny that those scriptures are talking about skin color, when they say, dark skin. So in the end MORmONs are forced to lie to provide cover for their racist founders and the author of the BoM and BoA.
Mormons are now semi-pro liars.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 06:16PM

You're exactly right. That path of logic would make most mormons heads explode.

Date: April 05, 2021 01:17PM

> ... I hate hate.

Ya gotta love hate! That would be the correct relationship!

Date: April 05, 2021 01:20PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> > ... I hate hate.
>
>
> Ya gotta love hate! That would be the correct
> relationship!

Why?

Date: April 05, 2021 01:37PM

Because then you'd be in a love-hate relationship, and those are always fun to watch, as long as there's a laugh track.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 01:54PM

I for one welcome an apostle, in conference, on the record, telling parents it's alright if their kids play with non mormon kids.

My granddaughter would love to have more friends.

Of course when a different apostle said wearing a mask is not only good but christ like. Many members crucified him in the papers and on line.

Date: April 05, 2021 05:02PM

If his comments were sincere, I’d applaud them, but obviously he’s just performative virtue signaling when he says ‘Don’t be a racist’ because as a MORmON you’re automatically a racist if you believe the Book of Mormon is ‘Revelation from God’ when it’s the most racist/white supremacist book ever to be considered ‘scripture’. I mean Mein Kampf is more racist, but nobody ever called it ‘The Word of God’ did they?

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: April 07, 2021 06:08PM

I agree that it's just virtue signaling, but in this case it seems to have "worked" to some extent. I actually meant to post about this a few days ago.

I was out in the car with the news playing on the radio, when I heard "somebody or other from the COJCOLDS said [some lofty stuff about racism]." I didn't catch the name because I was only half tuned in, but when I heard COJCOLDS it got my attention. Anyway, it was clearly some blowhard at General Conference, and no I suppose it was Stevenson.

There seems to be a concerted effort underway to be perceived more widely as a bonafide church. Well, I think that's been the case for a long time now, but this sort of thing, and things like trying to prop cRusty up as a "global faith leader". There eager to be perceived as relevant and significant (in addition to not weird).

Date: April 07, 2021 06:17PM

Heartless Wrote:
> I for one welcome an apostle, in conference, on
> the record, telling parents it's alright if their
> kids play with non mormon kids.

This may be something that's come up in polling, and may be indicative of the changing times.

When Mormons were the solid majority, then it they could put a lot of social pressure on people to join. As the ratio of nonMormons grows, this dynamic could cause two problems: 1) The nonMormon kids have more options, so the pressure is less effective and makes the morgbots look bad, and 2) the mormon kids themselves may start whining that they can't play with whom they want, as there are fewer and fewer mormon kids around to play with, and/or fewer mormon kids who are willing to shun the nonMormon kids anyway.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 02:04PM

Hopes & expectations are paramount in maturing & being a responsible adult citizen!

I wish all individuals & communities had better hopes & prospects for themselves, but all I really see are the TV depictions like on 'Law & Order', Rodney King, George Floyd, and all the others.

Any ideas for change / improvement here at RfM?

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 11:49PM

The Mormon church is responsible for racism more than anyone else, and for one reason. They did it in the name of God. They taught openly and also secretly that black skin was a curse from God. Then they blamed God when the world called foul on them for doing it. According to them, they were just following orders from God. They say that they didn't know why God made them do it. They take no responsibility for their own mis-deeds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2021 11:50PM by azsteve.

Date: April 06, 2021 12:47PM

MORmON Racism isn’t just a relic of the past. It’s currently STILL alive and well in the foundational narrative of MORmONism. As long as the Doomsday CULT continues printing that racist narrative and distributing it all over the world every day, MORmONs are actively institutionalizing white supremacy/racism, which violates Christ’s main commandment, to love our fellow man as ourselves. The ‘God’ of MORmONism is White Male Authoritarianism. Any wonder MORmONs support a white supremacist for POTUS more than any other demographic?

Date: April 06, 2021 01:59PM

Well, if that's the case, we should all stop practicing that brand of mormonism! And we should encourage others not to practice that brand of mormonism!

We should help others be better people!

I know!! Let's harangue the heck of people we know who agree with us, to get them to agree with us even more!!

And no matter how many times they tell us, "I get it...", we should continue to harangue them until they agree with us as much as they possibly can!!

Hey, we can use my dad's barn and put on a show!

Date: April 06, 2021 03:43PM

Not everybody here does agree.
Many here believe systemic racism is imaginary.
It’s worth discussing.
If you don’t think so, feel free to butt out!

Date: April 06, 2021 05:23PM

There are ever so many topics worthy of discussion.

But I don't see you ever 'discussing' a topic. What I see is you posting screeds about what you believe and how everyone needs to believe as you do.

If someone does not come down on all fours (a legal term, not a curb your dog term) in agreement with you, you simply dismiss them with a YouTube URL that you believe puts them in his or her place.

You wave placards. That's not a discussion. Check this out for a foaming-at-the-mouth screed hurled from the battlements:

"MORmON Racism isn’t just a relic
       of the past. It’s currently STILL
       alive and well in the foundational
       narrative of MORmONism. As long as
       the Doomsday CULT continues printing
       that racist narrative and distribut-
       ing it all over the world every day,
       MORmONs are actively institutionaliz-
       ing white supremacy/racism, which
       violates Christ’s main commandment,
       to love our fellow man as ourselves.
       The ‘God’ of MORmONism is White Male
       Authoritarianism. Any wonder MORmONs
       support a white supremacist for POTUS
       more than any other demographic?"

I think it's silly to use "MORmON" in its various forms, but that's fairly tame. I'm a MORmON and I'm not racist.

Is there racism in the church? Yes. Will it ever be swept under the rug? No. Does the average MORmON, raised on racist teaching, want to continue being a racist? I don't know, but I'm hoping that the answer is no.

But what happens if such an individual were to have a 'discussion' with you on the issue? It would likely be just like your online and in-person 'discussions' with the missionaries, where you think you've been a champion of justice, while the majority of the rest of us just shake our heads.

Date: April 07, 2021 12:34PM

You could always not click.

Date: April 07, 2021 12:38PM

Another of your trenchant responses . . . Are you getting these from watching YouTube?

I am constantly amazed at your depth!

Kaku and the gang would be proud.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 06, 2021 03:46PM

Yeah, Jesus, butt out!

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: April 07, 2021 04:45PM

Different from GordyB in Conference when he said "Tolerate your non-mormon neighbors".

In the recorded viewing by MoronicPriesthood Central and the printed version - it was not there.

He said it. We heard it.

Date: April 07, 2021 06:00PM

I never said that in conference!!

Oh...you mean Hinkley, not Stinky. ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.