Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: April 12, 2021 08:16PM

I mentioned in another thread that I have a master's degree in engineering, but that isn't what I have a passion for. I love languages.

There's a YouTuber I watch from time to time, Days of French and Swedish, who summed it up well in one of his videos:

"I love languages. I love them so much. I love the easy bits. I love the hard bits. I love etymology—the fact that the Swedish word for 'honeymoon' is literally 'cuddle month', it gives me goosebumps—which by the way is another weird word, 'goosebumps'. Anyway, I love languages so much that learning them is non-negotiable."

That's how I feel. I love everything about languages to the point that I should have been a linguist. And I know, a linguist isn't the same as a polyglot. That's not the relevant point.

When the pandemic is over, I want to get my PhD in linguistics.

What things are you passionate about that you would seriously want to pursue if you get the chance?

Tyson

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 12, 2021 08:25PM

I can totally understand that. Languages as media for culture, as the doorway to philosophy and literature, as human history the same way DNA embodies the past: languages are awesome.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 12, 2021 09:26PM

I wanted to design space probes. Just couldn't afford the college.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 12, 2021 10:10PM

I just want to run trains.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 12, 2021 11:31PM

It's not my job to run the train
The whistle I don't blow.
I can't decide how far or fast the train will go.

I'm not allowed to blow off steam or even ring the bell.
But let the damn thing jump the track and see who catches hell.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 10:30PM

I'm going off the rails on a crazy train

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: April 16, 2021 02:19PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just want to run trains.

I have just retired after 25 years of running trains, due to a terrible case of cancer.

I ran the Marias Pass over the continental divide, the north side of the track being Glacier National Park.

I did enjoy the job immensely, and the Berkshire Hathaway stock from our parent company has been amazing to say the least.

Now i am greatly enjoying cannabis therapy in retirement,

Date: April 16, 2021 04:26PM

I'm sorry to hear about your cancer. I hope you are managing as well as possible.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 12, 2021 11:11PM

I think I would have enjoyed being a mormon apostle. At least I wouldn't be the first modern age apostle to be excommunicated, but I wouldn't do anything excommunication-able until I had a couple of 2nd Annoyings...

So I'd have that going for me!

Date: April 12, 2021 11:13PM

Yeah, I was going to say they'd need to unveil a Third Anointing to cover your anointingness.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 12, 2021 11:38PM

I saw a bumper sticker in Albuquerque doing the Hot air Balloon festival that read,

"Don't tell Mom I'm a hot air balloonist, she thinks I play piano in a whore house."

That pretty well says a lot.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 12, 2021 11:44PM

If I had the talent for it, I think I would enjoy being a novelist. I would like doing the background research and the process of constructing characters and a story. I would like working on my own combined with short bursts of interacting with others.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 12:31AM

You could take over for Dear Abby. Really. I never missed her column growing up.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 12, 2021 11:57PM

My current field is retirement. There's nothing I want to do instead.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 01:48PM

Same for me. I really enjoy the commute and the flexible hours.

I’m childless, and I tell people the reason that I was able to retire so comfortably (at least financially) is that I put my children’s college expenses into retirement savings. I also saved on mission expenses.

I wonder how TBM families with SAH moms and several kids ever afford to retire (or serve a senior mission).

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 12:07AM

If it paid well enough to support me in the manner to which I've become accustomed (it doesn't, unfortunately), I would want to be a local TV station weather reporter. I don't know all that much about weather, but neither do the weather reporters around here, and I'd be willing to complete a degree in the subject, which is more than most of them have done.

My mother and my wife both say I'm cute enough for the job, and I have nice suits, ties, and dress shirts.

Date: April 13, 2021 12:12AM

From what I recall, your wife would be better suited for the job than you!

Date: April 13, 2021 01:02AM

She's better suited than I for almost any job. She could probably take a six-week crash course and be more proficient at non-cardiac thoracic surgery than I am.

Date: April 13, 2021 01:03AM

I'm referring to her appearance: a truly beautiful woman, if I recall correctly.

Date: April 13, 2021 02:40AM

She's beautiful and just becomes more so each year.

Date: April 13, 2021 02:41AM

Yep. That's what you need to be a prominent and successful weather person!

Date: April 13, 2021 02:23PM

I'm not as photogenic/telegenic as is my wife, but when she picks out my shirt-and-tie combinations, I am frequently complimented on my appearance. I think I may have the right stuff to do the job. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), I would soon go bankrupt on what I'm guessing is the average salary of a local weather reporter. I'll never learn just how right my stuff may or may not have been.

Date: April 13, 2021 02:27PM

I think you two are doing nicely. It's tough to imagine a better situation.

Date: April 13, 2021 02:42PM

Several years ago, Jillian filled in for the regular for two weeks on the local PBS affiliate's math tutorial program where students called in for help with math homework. She and her law partner were just starting their practice and were given free advertising in exchange for her services. She was quite a natural. The station manager wanted her to stay and co-host after the regular host returned, but it was too time consuming.

Date: April 13, 2021 02:47PM

I suspect law is more remunerative than math tutoring, plus perhaps a better use of her talents.

Date: April 13, 2021 06:38AM

Meteorology is a fascinating field, isn't it? When I was in high school, my school had a weather station and I used to do the daily report.

Date: April 13, 2021 10:23PM

Summer the Weather Girl! How fitting! I wish you had footage we could see.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 12:17AM

“I Wanna Drive the Zamboni”
-The Gear Daddies

Posted by: Papers Please ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 05:53AM

I'd like to be back in 2019. Or make that 1989, so I could live out most of the rest of my life before this crapfest.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 06:23AM

I should have been a musician.

Posted by: vulcanrider ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 07:43AM

I'd like to be back in radio broadcasting...been doing it off and on since 1975. Maybe I should contact Sirius/XM and see if there's any positions open since the stuff I played when it was current is now "Classic" Rock...

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 08:46AM

Retired and doing nothing. The job I always dreamed of and am best qualified for

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 11:16AM

Musician, singer, songwriter....I am that now but it doesn't pay as well as being an engineer. In fact I donate what make playing music to good causes. But if I had spent as much time on music as I did on engineering, it might have turned out different.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 12:19PM

Banksy’s job.
His parents think he paints houses.
He does paint buildings, but his paint jobs are worth more than the buildings they are painted on.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: April 16, 2021 02:30PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oHJBdDSTbLw
Certainly not trapped by convention

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 01:53PM

to be a secretary. I didn't want to go to college, although I did really well in school. My sister hated that I could get good grades without much work. She went to college and I went 2 semesters and went to work at Thiokol, which I've talked about quite a bit especially the past few days.

I absolutely loved the job I had in the lab. I loved the people and I loved the challenge of working for chemists and scientists. I was really interesting. And now one of those chemists is my long-time boyfriend.

I've been doing medical transcription for 34 years and I still really like my job. I just wanted to be a wife and mother. I'm glad I got to be a mother to the twins I have.

I'm basically retired, but I still do transcription because I want to, not because I have to. I'll do it as long as this job I have right now lasts.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 02:08PM

It's an unfortunate aspect of reality that my understanding of the breadth of opportunity available in the world changes at a rate inversely proportional to my practical ability to change careers.

I never had much interest in medicine. But the past couple of years have gifted me with a lot of interaction with the medical community. I find it fascinating and suspect that I'd have found satisfaction in being a doctor of some sort. But that's a difficult change to make late in life.

Early in life I really only considered two careers: engineering or economics. I picked engineering. I picked it for the opportunity to create. I've been able to create some pretty cool things. I've been privileged to work with tremendously talented people. I've been satisfied in that and I don't regret it.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 05:16PM

Wull I'm just glad to see anuther old timer who is not yet Dunn.

Long live the power of the Word my brother Tyson.

Namaste

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 10:12PM

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 05:58PM

I'd like to be a baker, but I haven't got the dough.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 06:10PM

I think Kardashian could be an exciting career. Good money and lots of perks. And you get a worshipful following without having to invent a religion.

I never knew what I wanted to be. Still don't. Had the success anyway and I life I could never complain about. If anything at this point I would like to be a professional student. I want to know stuff now that I didn't care about when I was younger. Hungry mind.

Date: April 13, 2021 06:16PM

>>I think Kardashian could be an exciting career. Good money and lots of perks. And you get a worshipful following without having to invent a religion.

You would have to heavily airbrush all of your photos though. lol

Date: April 13, 2021 08:03PM

Unless, of course, if you have the right trowel to apply the contour make-up.

Date: April 13, 2021 06:18PM

Speaking of the Kardashians, have you gotten the butt implants yet? That's probably your first step.

Date: April 15, 2021 03:54PM

My biggest concern is if I can get my sex tape to go viral while claiming I never meant that to happen.

Date: April 15, 2021 04:01PM

I'd ask EOD. I'm told he's attempted that several times.

Date: April 15, 2021 06:19PM

My sex tapes are all one-man shows . . .

Date: April 15, 2021 06:21PM

What was that thread D&D started? Something about "TMI?"

Date: April 15, 2021 06:28PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> My sex tapes are all one-man shows . . .

Psst. From what I hear on the street, your instrument is out of tune...

Date: April 15, 2021 07:40PM

Ah, yes, the old bass trombone...

Date: April 15, 2021 07:46PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Ah, yes, the old bass trombone...

Okay.

I get the ‘fish’ part and the ‘bone’ part...
What’s a “trom”???

Date: April 15, 2021 10:10PM

> I get the ‘fish’ part and the
> ‘bone’ part... What’s a “trom”???

"Trom" is a reference to all the "troma' in my life!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 13, 2021 07:50PM

I had visions and of being a designer at GM but realized when i was at RICKS that I lacked a whole lot of artistic ability so was lucky to have been able to do my dream job, farming for 40 years many with my dad.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2021 10:26PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 15, 2021 02:36PM

I want to be the piano player in a whorehouse
That is what I really want to be
If I could play piano in the whorehouse
The whole world would be looking good to me

Good evening friends

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2021 02:37PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 15, 2021 02:46PM

Take a nap.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 15, 2021 03:07PM

Actually I am and have been a photographer since 1954
I have worked at other jobs but behind the camera is really me
My favorite camera is my Sinar 4x5 monorail view camera

Posted by: m0rtes ( )
Date: April 16, 2021 06:47PM

I'm a correctional officer, been one for 25 years 3 months.
In high school I wanted to be a Veterinarian in 11 grade Mrs. Wicks told me I was too stupid to do something like that.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 02:42PM

That’s dreadful.

I’m so sorry that happened to you.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 12:52PM

I retired at end of February 2020 after 42 years as a mechanical Engineer. 34 years of it with two companies; 11 with one company and then 23 more with the company that acquired company one. Registered PE in three states. I have enough credits acquired over the years to probably have two Master's degrees. But I never pursued it.

My REAL passion is cooking. If I had to do another career, or start over, it would be as a Chef.

Posted by: Southbound ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 09:36PM

I have been very fortunate. Have got to do most of what I wanted. Farm, drive long haul all over, super fun and interesting stuff in the oil patch. Now mostly retired and travelling around. I now get to ride my big bad road bike a lot more. Want to do’s? Drive a train, fly learn to sail own a hot spring somewhere.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.