Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 06:32PM

Besides Joseph, the Smith family produced 7 apostles of which 3 became church presidents and 9 presiding patriarchs.

But in the last 40 years has there been any prominent general authority from the Smith bloodline. (Not counting in laws)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 06:37PM

Maybe they were all taken up into heaven, without having to taste death?

Death isn't all that bad, with a little lemon and paprika . . .

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 06:45PM

Mr. Smith went to Washington: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Smith_Goes_to_Washington

Mrs. Smith is busy making pies: https://www.mrssmiths.com

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 07:09PM

Concrete Zipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mr. Smith went to Washington:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Smith_Goes_to_Wa
> shington
>
> Mrs. Smith is busy making pies:
> https://www.mrssmiths.com

:D

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 09:33PM

Running Food King grocery stores?

----

IIRC, Russ Ballard is a direct descendant of Hyrum S.

I'll bet because of that, he secretly believes he's singularly entitled to sit in the Big Chair, and is deeply bitter that he'll most likely never get that chance.

I don't think anyone in the Young bloodline is anywhere near the top. (Which, if true, is kind of remarkable considering the sheer number of BY descendants who must be crawling all over the state.)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 09:55PM

Steve Young could put the zing back into the church's game!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 09:56PM

Perhaps if Barbara were not an outspoken advocate of gay rights, but otherwise. . .

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 10:51PM

Where are the Smith's?

(I'm okay with the apostrophe; that one is stylistic)

Joseph Fielding Smith was LDS president when I was a teen. I credit him with keeping me out of the church when he denounced evolution, saying one couldn't believe in evolution and the Divine Mission of Jesus Christ (JFS: "Man, His Origin and Destiny"). Other LDS leaders, including David O. McKay, did believe in evolution, and the subject is still a contentious one among the faithful.

The Community of Christ, formerly the Reorganized LDS Church, was led by descendants of Joseph Smith for many years, but I understand the lineage kind of petered out...

(Edited to fix some %@#! typos)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2021 11:10PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 11:42PM

The apostrophe we'll blame on autocorrect.

I find it interesting that in both the LDS church and the Community of Christ church the Smith family is no longer prominent by name.

I'm sure with all the inbreeding, many of the general authorities are related to the Smith, Young, Kimball family lines.

I was tempted to add Heber J Grant to the list as his mother was a plural wife of Joseph.

It makes wonder if the Smith family is either booted out as Eldred Smith was from the patriarch position or just controlling from the shadows.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 20, 2021 12:54AM

None of Joseph's progeny came west- only Hyrum's clan. Maybe it's too embarrassing for the Salt Lake group to admit that none of their founder's family likes them very much, so they have let that connection sort of vanish.

There is supposed to be a direct descendant of JS Sr as church head Patriarch.There was a big kerfuffle in the 1940s with Joesph Fielding Smith (same name as his uncle, who became church president). He turned out to be gay, and he was replaced by Eldred Gee Smith (who had expected the calling first, but Heber Grant objected). Eldred served until 1979. Apparently his son was unacceptable because he was a Sunstoner. I'm sure it was a direct revelation from God that the eternal position of Church Patriarch was dismantled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2021 01:10AM by slskipper.

Posted by: Hugo Becker ( )
Date: April 20, 2021 07:27AM

Most of them went over to the Community of Christ. Including Emma. Now even they have run out of Smiths.

There are a few in COJCOLDS leadership, but there are way more progeny of Brigham Young around.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: April 22, 2021 05:18PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.