Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Frankcisco ( )
Date: April 29, 2021 09:42PM

Have there been instances in which the Boyz stand upon the Rameumptum in the Great and Spacious Building and speak words of wisdom from (for example) Catholic sources without crediting the source???

Just wondering.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: April 29, 2021 09:44PM

I could be wrong, and they may not have said it in the exact words, but “What, me worry?” was stolen from the great philosopher A. E. Newman by those guys.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 29, 2021 10:03PM

I don't know the exact genesis of David O. McKay's popular aphorism, "What e'er thou art, act well they part!" but I really did take it to heart as a youngster.

Later on in life, I was told of his appropriation of the saying, without accreditation.

Of course, it's possible that he read it, it got buried in his subconscious and then later in life, when it bubbled to the surface, he thought it was either original or a gift from Holy McGhost.

Or he said, "Screw it! Who's going to call me out on this?"

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Okay, so I looked it up. A story I'd never heard before, despite being alive for Dave's entire reign as THE prophet, unfolded before me:

He was a missionary in Scotland and things were tough and he was getting discouraged. But then he saw a stone 'placard' set into a wall, with that saying inscribed, credited to "James Allen - Architect, 1896"

And it was like a direct message from ghawd and from that moment on he dedicated his life to looking and acting the part.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2018-07-06/elder-holland-honors-president-mckay-with-phrase-what-eer-thou-art-act-well-thy-part-in-scotland-10296

(if you follow the link, you'll see a photo of Jowlly R. Holland trying to act like a normal human being with an obviously very outgoing Member of Parliament, who obviously had not yet caught on to Jowlly being a mostly piece of crap human being. I wonder how long it took?)

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: April 29, 2021 10:33PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 29, 2021 10:47PM

Wow, I returned to those halcyon days of 2016 and came away even more impressed with myself than even I can possibly imagine!!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 30, 2021 12:54AM

I'm inspired by beautiful, young women; no further details are needed...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2021 01:08AM by GNPE.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 30, 2021 12:33PM

When I gaze across mountains and valleys I am inspired by the view to capture photographic images so that I can later mix and blend them into beautiful landscapes.

When I go to my alpha brain wave level I gain inspiration to write on a couple of books I am working on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2021 12:34PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 02, 2021 03:40AM

Only if other source includes tooting their own horns.

Mormon mid"leaders" ARE NOT free thinkers, wisdom seekers, or spiritually intuned dustballs.

LDS "inspiration" comes from below, NOT above.

Mormonism preaches insipid and phony platitudes.

Some common synonyms of insipid are banal, flat, inane, jejune, and vapid. While all these words mean "devoid of qualities that make for spirit and character," insipid implies a lack of sufficient taste or savor to please or interest.

They could Dumpster Dive words behind a university and still couldn't attract a dropout... even by dropping in.

The words LDSpeak uses are recycled so many times they are unrecognizable and devoid of any character, or characters.

It doesn't matter what mormonSAY since language isn't sacred to them.

Nothing is holy if words aren't. Some are holey though, like the o.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.