Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gulliblestravels ( )
Date: April 30, 2021 08:36AM

Hey everyone,

I'm writing a book about my time at a member run wilderness program for teens during the satin panic in the 90's and I'm trying to find more info on the psychological phenomenon called elevation and, more specifically, how it is misused in the church. I can't seem to find much on it but I seem to remember a discussion about on here a long time ago and can't find that either. If anyone knows what I am talking about and could point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 30, 2021 10:11AM

Sorry, I can't contribute anything to your research, but I admire your username.

You refer to the "satin panic in the 90's." Do you mean the "Satan panic?" Did LDS go through a phase of Satanic paranoia in the 1990s? I'm slightly familiar with one that went through Evangelical Christianity in the 1980s. During this time, people, usually young women coached by special "counselors," "recovered" memories of early childhood sexual abuse, sometimes perceived (or projected?) as "Satanic ritual abuse."

It was sort of the most extreme Freudian psychology of "repressed memories" combined with a very defective theology, and I want to emphasize it was rejected by mainstream Evangelicals. There were also stories of pre-school children involved in sexual abuse, which turned out to be very false. Look up the McMartin preschool case (California) and the Gerry Amerault Fells Acre Preschool case (Massachusetts). In the McMartin case, parents believing their children to have been abused bought the closed-down building and tore it apart, looking for tunnels and secret rooms, but found....nothing.

OTOH, maybe I'm talking about something completely different. Oh, well....

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 30, 2021 10:40AM

The Satanic Panic!

Wow! What a blast from the past!

Stan, the Man, was frankly embarrassed by all the attention he was getting as the 'Satanic Panic' wave grew and grew and then crested!

It came crashing down on all the innocent men and women who'd been caught up in media-inflated pogroms that sought to identify and weed out all the practicing Satanists from daycare centers and small, unaffiliated churches!

So many human sacrifices had to be postponed; put off until the victims could be disposed of without further alarming all the Christians.

What really bugged me was that there were no scriptures to guide Christians on how to escape the net being cast by the Satanists! So I wrote some scriptures!

(Why people insist on saying that I made them up is beyond me! What's the difference between 'writing a book' and 'making stuff up'?)

Anyway, send me $1.99 and two toenail clippings and I'll give you the key to finding out ALL you might want to know about anything! Such a deal!

Here's a clue: it starts with a G and ends with a .com

(I hope this doesn't come across as too mean-spirited; I mostly just want to spark laughter.

(But then we are talking about Satan, and there's no way to out mean-spirit that guy!)

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 01, 2021 07:59PM

Is Satan's satin soft or safe?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 30, 2021 10:51AM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 30, 2021 11:01AM

weirdly, EB's link does not include the final ), so it dumps you on a precursor page. The page he meant us to go to does have the final ) as part of the link, like, hopefully, this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevation_(emotion)

Nope! Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get that final ) into the link.

So just click on the 'elevation (emotion)' in the box with the light bulb.

(I wonder if there was ever any attempt to call them light blups?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2021 11:03AM by elderolddog.

Date: April 30, 2021 11:02AM

"Elevation" looks pretty benign to me. "Practice random acts of kindness" and all that. Ah, the days of the Volvo liberal and his bumperstickers. "War is not healthy for children and other living things," you know?

Was there a special connection to LDS? It looks like something Christian Scientists and other positive-thinker types would warm to. Norman Vincent Peale-approved. Calling Will Rogers!

But I'm still wondering about the "satin panic in the 90's." Satanic picnic, maybe?

And thanks for the humor, Ol' Dog.

(signed)
Caffiend
an old Devil Dog

Posted by: Lot's Wife Altered Ego ( )
Date: April 30, 2021 11:04AM

"Thanks, OlderBerry. Boy, was I way off!"

Not the first time, nor likely to be the last.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 30, 2021 11:09AM

My vintage is good though.

"how it is misused in the church."

Maybe this could help Mister Gullible in their Internet travels...

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/2018/06/cognitive-dissidents-012-elevation-emotion/

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: April 30, 2021 01:54PM

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/joy-and-pain/201411/the-highs-elevation

Didn't really catch on in psychology (or psychiatry).
I suppose that film-flam-Dunn-man tried to exploit it.

Alternately, if have an iPhone check the compass out - it'll report lat, long, elevation above (or below) mean sea level

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: April 30, 2021 03:01PM

Here's a short video on elevation and Mormonism:

https://youtu.be/wjpvhrtQiFM

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 01, 2021 07:55PM

The only direction I can point you is up!

TSCC is down. Way down.
Lower than low.

So, LOOK UP, and
Look Out

Date: May 07, 2021 12:15AM

Utah's tourism promotion slogan is, "Life, Elevated."

Ironic, no?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.