Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 30, 2021 03:58PM

We all have heard about the power of discernment. Listen to this podcast
https://youtu.be/JmubAXQT41Y
At 3 hours in comes the bombshell. I am so glad that I have never worked for the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 30, 2021 05:05PM

Rumors are something, aren't they? Whispered around, hardly ever verified or looked into or fact checked. I think when a rumor gets started, the information is just so juicy that some people can't wait to share the super secret stuff they just heard. It happened to my ex when he was at BYU before we divorced but were separating, It nearly cost him his job. Even when the administration could not verify the rumor, they told my ex that the information would still stay in his employee file in case anything ever surfaced. It was a nightmare...and the worst of it was that we never found out who started the rumor. We had our suspicions but the folks at BYU would not tell him who it was.

Date: April 30, 2021 06:19PM

That is awful! Again where is the power of discernment? If a person loses church employment over a rumor he/she can lose his/her house, insurance coverage and so much more. Getting excommunicated over a rumor for a TBM that would be losing eternal salvation. Even when I was a true-believing Mormon my lds friends and I knew not to tell the bishop anything.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 30, 2021 08:47PM

gemini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they told my ex that the information would still stay
> in his employee file in case anything ever
> surfaced.

That's how Mormonism works. No sins (real or imagined) are ever forgotten. The doctrine says if you repeat a sin you've repented for, the Kolobian clerks drag all your past sins out of the "forgiven" file and place them in your "not forgiven" file.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 01, 2021 12:44PM

Yes, I saw the spread of an unverified rumor take someone else down. In the end, the allegation was proven to be false, but not before irreversible damage was done.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 01, 2021 12:08PM

So glad I don't live in a Moridor town (and thankful my parents didn't move to one after they retired as soooo many here do). So glad I'm out. So glad I never gave them a penny. So glad I never acknowledged they had any power or control over me. And most importantly...so glad my children had no exposure to that evil cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2021 12:12PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 01, 2021 03:17PM

One of my friends married a Spaniard he met at BYU, and has found work in the Spanish work force as an engineer. Then the LDS church in either Spain or Europe in general, offered him a job, so he took it. I'm unsure how long he worked for the church, but he summarily lost his job one as punishment for... He was never told why, only that some person had reported bad behavior to them, so they were forced to sack him. That's when he realized that the church will sometimes not even allow the accused to be heard. This was difficult for him to digest. Even more difficult was the fact that he couldn't know his accuser; they simply said that they wouldn't tell him.

I'm unsure how his employment in Europe affected the church's punishment. I have known two Europeans to work for the church in Germany, both of whom became non-believers and inactive in the church. The church tried to sack them, but they were unable to dismiss them due to either German or EU labor laws. One did resign and took her redundancy pay / severance pay, and left. (While the US labor laws do not require payment of a severance pay, Europeans do.)

A common thread here is how the church will deign to listen to and believe an accusation by virtually anyone. They then keep the accusation secret, and accuse you and even punish you, in this case, at least, not caring about the family of the breadwinner. And then they won't tell you who made the accusation. Stranger on the street? Some mentally ill person in the ward who lives in world of confusion, shouting into the wind? Your neighbor? A fellow church member? So this makes the church's stupid, so-called "court of love" a totally arbitrary kangaroo court, guided by the whims of a stake president, who, despite any errors in procedure or in judgment, will still be totally back-stopped by more senior church leaders.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 02, 2021 09:48AM

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...the church will deign
> to listen to and believe an accusation by
> virtually anyone.

But they will protect those they LIKE when accused. Wife beaters, rapists, child molesters, fraudsters...

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 02, 2021 12:02AM

I had this podcast on all day while I was working. Got through all three episodes and was really blown away by his story. Yet, part of me was happy to know that the so-called church is ignoring the reality of where Millennials and GenZers are really at when it comes to belief. Just that many more who will leave. And the exmormon community is booming with all these formerly super-involved active members coming to grips with the truth. The old farts are so worried about a seminary teacher answering students' questions truthfully, so they get rid of him to avoid any "damage." In the meantime, he was so loved and so popular that dozens of students are and will end up leaving because of his mistreatment. They will listen to the podcast and they will be done. It really is quite hilarious to watch them chasing their own tails.

Date: May 02, 2021 01:37PM

I listen to all three parts too. My take on it was that nobody can make fraud true. It is false Mormonism no matter how smart and nice the seminary or institute teacher is. Tithing money is top secret where it goes. Devot one's own life to a church without asking any questions is not reasonable.I think the church will also excommunicate him. I know a church translator who was fired when she lost her faith and she said that she can still translate even if she does not believe in Mormonism any longer. She ended up finding a better paying translation job outside the church.Church will not pay retirement and medical bills and mortgage. As the cost of housing and healthcare has increased members are stuck between a rock and a hard place.Members need to pay tithing to enter the temple. To give up a baseball career to serve a mission. Growing up I had a very fun young women's president and young women's activities on Wednesdays were a blast. Looking back I can remember thinking as early as age 15 that polygamy was strange. But because of the fun I had in young women's I never really researched the church till I was in my 30s.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 02, 2021 08:00PM

It’s not just Mormons, it’s any religion. Wolves in sheep’s clothing go to where the sheep are. Their stories are believed because that’s what believers do. No due diligence, no getting the other side of the story. Just a trail of wrecked lives. For what? A slice of the imaginary pie in the sky? Fake friends who turn on people because of someone’s lies are not anyone’s friends, least of all yours.

Mormonism may be the Lloyd Christmas of religions, but you can always find one that’s dumber.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2021 08:03PM by babyloncansuckit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.