Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hujo ( )
Date: May 02, 2021 10:43PM

So... the temples are re opening and guess what? My parents (mom mainly) have signed me up to go 3 of my free days this month. Ridiculous!

I went on Friday night (and missed hanging out with friends) and I'm signed up to go this coming Saturday and one at the end of May.

It's like they don't respect my time off of school and sports. I'm fine with going 1 time every 2 months or something, but 3 times in a month is overkill.

I'm sure it'll die down cause my parents are so exited to go after the temples being closed for a year, but I still need to figure out a way to get out of going.

Anyways, my rant is over.

Enjoy your evening

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 02, 2021 11:03PM

A cottage industry is beginning to emerge for people who want proof of COVID vaccination for employment, school, entrance to certain venues, etc. Perhaps somebody can fix you up with a fake positive COVID test form? Fake a few symptoms. ("I can't taste this Mountain Dew...")

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 11:37AM

That fake record suggestion is disgusting and shows a blatant disregard for the health of others and preventing ongoing public health problems. Good God, are you not aware of what a variant of COVID is still capable of doing until the whole world is sufficiently vaccinated?

You were a police officer and should know records showing qualifications should not be fake because it is a risk for all.
Did you fake your child's immunization records?
Would you smoke in areas that require no smoking if people couldn't smell it because you care so little about the health of others?
Would you fake getting immunizations for yellow fever, etc. to travel abroad?

Honestly, that is a new low for you, someone who had a job protecting others.

Date: May 03, 2021 01:46PM

The vaccine works against the variants, all of them have a spike protein. The vaccine works against the spike protein, so yes there’s no reason to worry if you’ve been vaccinated. The media are running out of things to scare you with just relax

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 01:56PM

Um, the spikes are composed of several proteins. Some are changing in different ways. If we allow a pool of carriers, it may continue to do so and the vaccine may not be as effective.

BTW, I have a degree in microbiology and have been working in big pharma on COVID issues, but thanks for the advice.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 02:06PM

Pretty mature for his age no?

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 05:19PM

Spot on EB. Thanks Dagny. Nice to hear from someone who has some real knowledge. Covidiots abound and are dangerous. They really need to sit down, shut the hell up and learn from people that actually know something.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 09:24AM

IT WAS A LIGHT HEARTED JOKE, not to be taken seriously. Switch to Decaf!

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: May 02, 2021 11:10PM

What do you do in the temple? When I was a youth we were expected to do baptisms for the dead about once or twice a year. That was it.

Date: May 03, 2021 10:59AM

My kids are recently adults. They never went more than on time a month. It wasn't something parents could schedule.

Date: May 03, 2021 02:12PM

Same here. My mom didn't schedule it. I don't know who scheduled it (probably the stake?) but it was usually a youth activity for the entire ward. I think all the wards in the area took turns which is why we only did it once or twice a year.

Of course we all had to have a worthiness interview before doing the baptisms.

Date: May 03, 2021 02:14PM

Yep, this is why hujo's post is so incomprehensible to me.

Date: May 03, 2021 02:31PM

It does sound a little fishy...

I didn't grow up in Utah where it seems there's a temple on every block. There was only one temple in my part of the state and it served many wards. It's probably why we didn't do baptisms for the dead very often. I do know that my mom didn't sign me up. That would have pissed me off even though I was TBM.

Date: May 03, 2021 02:31PM

It does sound a little fishy...

I didn't grow up in Utah where it seems there's a temple on every block. There was only one temple in my part of the state and it served many wards. It's probably why we didn't do baptisms for the dead very often. I do know that my mom didn't sign me up. That would have pissed me off even though I was TBM.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 01:40PM

My sister schedules times and takes her kids who are old enough and still at home (yes, she has both kids who have flown the coop and a kid too young to do baptisms in the temple), and they do baptisms as a family. It's a thing now.

Date: May 04, 2021 01:45PM

You need an infection that would make it unacceptable for you to contaminate the water. A person isn't supposed to go into water that others will be in until at least two weeks after any diarrhea, for example.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 01:49PM

Ebola worked like a charm for me.

Date: May 04, 2021 03:17PM

LOL. That would do it.

I never possessed the dedication to convince anyone I might have had Ebola, but with my active thyroid function (not quite hyper but in the very high normal range) I could pull off a respectable impression of a kid with rotavirus or even norovirus at any time.

Date: May 03, 2021 11:25PM

Elder Berry, I've told you we can have a zoom meeting if u don't believe me. Let's do it I don't want you telling people I'm fake

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 05:21PM

If he was truthful in a worthiness interview that would be the end of it.

Date: May 03, 2021 11:24PM

Lmaooo that's true. I'm definitely not worthy... but u know I can't tell my bishop I'm not until I'm 18

Date: May 04, 2021 10:06AM

Why tell him anything at any age?

Date: May 03, 2021 01:44PM

Baptisms for the dead

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 02, 2021 11:14PM

ChirchCo will be thrilled to learn temple escape routes!

Hidden EXIT door with a crash bar, anyone?

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 12:42PM

What do they have you doing? Maybe if we had more info, we could give better responses.

Date: May 03, 2021 01:44PM

I’m doing baptisms for the dead

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 02:17PM

Tell your mom you need to trust her with something, and then tell her how you feel.

Date: May 03, 2021 02:21PM

Then he couldn't come here and get all the feels he wants from us?

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 04:28PM

and not all of them are open. My daughter used to do baptisms for the dead once a week after she went back to church at about age 20. She did them FOR YEARS. I don't even think Logan is open or Brigham City.

She just left for Denali, Alaska last Thursday (stuck in Montana for new COVID tests--they have vaccinations and had tests, but Canada expects something else--which they are getting today). Denali is a LONG DRIVE to the Anchorage temple. I'm glad.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 04:47PM

I would talk to your mom about it. Tell her that three times in one month is too much, that none of your friends are asked to do that, and could you come to some kind of a compromise?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Normally I don't correct grammar or punctuation, but since you are still in school -- the word "parents" (in the title of your post) when used as a plural doesn't need an apostrophe. Plurals do not need apostrophes.

Only use apostrophes for two reason -- a) for a contraction, i.e. isn't for "is not," or b) to show possession, i.e. "my neighbor's house." (The house is owned by your neighbor.)

My parent's house (one parent only)
My parents' house (both parents) This is known as plural possession. More than one parent lives in the house.

Correct: My parents are signing me up. (It's a plural, all you need is the "s.")
Incorrect: My parent's are signing me up.

Lesson over. Teachers *hate* apostrophes for plurals. Master this and you will endear yourself to your English teacher, especially if you can do plural possesion correctly.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 05:02PM

> especially if you can do
> plural possesion correctly.

Why, mormon men just naturally know how to do plural possession (or possesion, as you spell it) properly! <hee hee!>

Date: May 03, 2021 06:53PM

You got me on that one! :D

Date: May 03, 2021 05:15PM

'There is a third acceptable use for apostrophes.'

--EOD's smarter brother, Editor-at-large, the Concise OED

Date: May 03, 2021 07:37PM

Quotations within quotations? I don't really consider those to be apostrophes, but some might.

If people would just stop using them for plurals, I'd be content. I've told some students, "Stop using them. You have no idea how to use them. Just stop." lol

Date: May 03, 2021 08:25PM

In the UK and most of the Commonwealth quotations are set off like 'this' and not like "this." Some go so far as to put the punctuation on the outside of the quotations.

"I shot the sheriff." thus becomes

'I shot the sheriff'.

But you did catch me in a bit of slipperiness. I called "'" an apostrophe when Britons would call it an "inverted comma." I should have known that wouldn't escape your educated eye.

And yes, it is frustrating how frequently otherwise smart person's make mistakes with apostrophes!

Date: May 03, 2021 11:25PM

:)

Date: May 03, 2021 11:26PM

Thanks summer, in school I usually will double check that stuff but it's a good reminder cause my grammar hasn't been too great.
Thanks though!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 05:34PM

If going to the temple bothers you, tell mom that you don't want to go.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 09:25PM

FREE TIME?

You weren't supposed to have any "free time". Next time, Fill It Up!

So they can't

Date: May 03, 2021 11:27PM

Yeah true, I'd like to spend that time hanging out with friends or working on my business but they seem to prioritize the temple

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 07:06PM

Surely TSCC lies about EVERYTHING regarding mormonism and 'temples' (Shirley Temple)/ MCs (Mormon Castles)... about their "importance", "eternal" bs, (SINCE 'Eternal' means out of time, or without beginning or end), or even the legitimacy of LDS [ppmmtt] PMTs (for short): purely post modern mormon temple talkers.

To get out of it, you too will need to lie (to match theirs), leave, outsmart, outlive, or simply out them.

Make your stuff WAY MORE important, more "churchy", more worthy of your devotion and attention in study, research, associating, experimenting, experiencing, or learning
than anything else going on.

You are ALWAYS working on a project, doing a study, in a class, on call, on shift, committed time for, on a volunteer roster, helping a friend, have a date, out that day - or that WEEK - is the week you are in a shoot, or on a roll, you are exercising at that period, decorating your room, celebrating a special occasion, going on a vacay, DOING SOMETHING, ETC.!, okay?

You fill up
(Pencil is best usually)
Your Time

Sleep 8 + hrs/ day... Work/ etc. 8 + hrs/ day (May include volunteering,
on an apprenticeship, or any ship, even a spaceship, anything etc)... Misc./ Other/ "'Free' Time"/ errands/ chores/ bills/ grind/ creative/ personal time, maintenance/ may include (more) work - 8 hrs/ day... So see?, there isn't any time Left... If you do it Right.

Make a calendar/ planner/ date book - and fill it in, and out. Then there's No Doubt. You're BUSY

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 03:50AM

You should see how gross the temple font water gets after a busy day of dunking people in one. You know some kids piss in it. Maybe some of the adults too.

The temple is just gross period.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 01:35PM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You should see how gross the temple font water
> gets after a busy day of dunking people in one.
> You know some kids piss in it. Maybe some of the
> adults too.
>
> The temple is just gross period.

People used to barf from too many dunks in rapid session. They had a custom font skimmer to scoop up the chunks. It was nasty to be one of the last ones dunked and to see it floating next to you.

Posted by: Tig not logged in ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 09:09AM

No is a complete sentence.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 10:40AM

1. A limited-use recommend as used by youth for baptisms for the dead is valid for one year.

2. The church opened several temples to Phase 2-B ("All living ordinances and proxy baptisms by appointment.") starting on March 29.

3. All temples in Utah except St. George and Salt Lake (and obviously those under construction or renovation or not yet built) are open in phase 2B as of today. (And yes, I checked each one.)

4. Quoting Bednar: “We encourage small groups — including new members, FAMILIES, Aaronic Priesthood quorums, Young Women classes, and young adult groups — to schedule a time to be in the temple." (emphasis mine)

So arguably, a family could just keep signing themselves up for proxy baptism sessions (presumably for their own family's names) at any open Utah temple. Whether they'd be able to actually get an appointment when they're competing against every other group is another story.

Tyson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2021 11:09AM by Tyson Dunn.

Date: May 04, 2021 11:15AM

The worst problem here is that you won’t be honest with your mom, yet you bitch her off to a bunch of strangers.

Date: May 04, 2021 11:27AM

"It's like they don't respect my time off of school and sports."

If this is the worst complaint then using RfM as some sort of sympathetic forum seems to me to be misplaced. The horrors of dealing with abusive Mormon parents and zealous youth leaders and devotees of Mormonism makes this complaint weak.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 12:58PM

I would say lot’s of people use forums and social media to vent. Sometimes you feel it’s a psychiatrist office with people laying on the couch unloading everything that’s bothering them or it’s a convenient punching bag. Twitter seems to be the punching bag place.

What’s new. People say things online they would never say to a person’s face. They want to do that but it takes less courage to vent in here and when you are living under your parent’s roof you don’t exactly have a lot of freedom to tell them to bugger off.

Date: May 04, 2021 01:09PM

I had no problem telling my parents off and my children haven't had that problem with me.

The difference is I got beat by my father and the police called by my mother who lied to them telling them I hit her.

If hujo's bitching helps the recovery that is one thing. I'm not convinced that is what is at play and also that RfM is like Tweeting.

Date: May 04, 2021 03:22PM

Wrong place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2021 03:26PM by kathleen.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 12:31PM

You are being subjected to barefaced parental BULLYING
I hope you can escape it asap

Date: May 04, 2021 01:17PM

This is bullying???

"It's like they don't respect my time off of school and sports. I'm fine with going 1 time every 2 months or something, but 3 times in a month is overkill."

Seriously, you have a low threshold for what you see as bullying by parents.

Date: May 04, 2021 03:32PM

“Barefaced parental bullying?” Those bastards!!!!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 02:35PM

Hey, the notion that the temples are needed to perform necessary ordinances, such as baptism, is easily challenged by the notion that the earth was supposed to be baptized, as well. That was one of the 'benefits' of The Flood...

But The Flood did not happen. So the earth has NOT been baptized and continues to wallow in unrepentant sin.

I blame you lot('s wife)

Date: May 04, 2021 02:47PM

Listen, Jesus, I've had just about enough of your lip. Why don't you crawl back under your rock?

But while you are still above earth, I wish you were a sufficiently sapiential homo to distinguish between metaphor and truth. The earth's need for baptism is metaphorical, something only an idiot would take seriously. By contrast, the need for every human to be immersed in holy water for the remission of such sins as being human is literal.

What could possibly be clearer?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 05:06PM

You can't have a clear perspective when you're in the temple almost as much as you are out of it and pondering the situation freely. If the mormon churh is dependent on young kids being forced to participate in temple work, it's a sad and feeble situation.

Tell them how often you'll go which is a fraction of what you're doing, then, stick to it.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 06:38PM

I am a nevermo so maybe that is the reason I don't understand this one thing: How can your parents sign you up?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2021 06:40PM by cinda.

Date: May 04, 2021 06:50PM

It would be like a parent signing a kid up for piano lessons. The kid can resist, but then it becomes a question of how much pressure the parent wants to exert. In situations like this, the Mormon parent would likely apply a lot of pressure.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 06:56PM

Thank you, LW. Piano lessons I can understand but even then, it seems to me that the kid, more than likely, will have expressed some interest. And will also likely be younger than what I'm only guessing hujo to be :)

Date: May 04, 2021 07:03PM

The biggest problem is that most parents would consider these things in the context of wanting to maintain a good relationship with the kid and hence may decide this was not a battle worth fighting. For Mormons, though, a temple battle is perhaps more important than the relationship.

The reason I brought up piano lessons is that I'm getting a little tired of hujo's whining. His parents may be unusually obnoxious, but almost everyone who has been young has been through parental conflicts that are either comparable or close to comparable.

He wields a powerful sense of grievance. ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.