Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Afraid of the Boogie Brethren ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 01:07PM

Does anyone know if there is a group that helps them "escape?" In otherwords, local people who are available if someone wants to jump ship and has nowhere to go??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 01:26PM

I'll bet Dave the Atheist would be first in line to volunteer!

Date: May 03, 2021 03:26PM

Let's do it!

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 03:20PM

When I was a child back in the 70s, when the Zodiac killer was on the loose and everyone was paranoid, neighbors volunteered to be "block parents" should a child feel frightened while walking home from school and need a place to go where they would be safe and could call their parents to pick them up.

Maybe there should be a similar program for missionaries. People can have signs in their windows offering refuge for missionaries who want to escape but don't know how to get home on their own.

Maybe legal action is required. There should be a clause in the missionary papers that says that if at anytime the missionary wishes to abort their mission, the mission president is required to make travel arrangements for the missionary. Failing to do so would result in legal action.

Date: May 03, 2021 03:26PM

I think this is a great idea....safe houses!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 04:25PM

Wow. I'm impressed you could remember having posted that way back when!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 04:53PM

Not gonna lie... (yes I am!)

Saucie, as she was wiping the drool from my chin, remarked, "didn't I just help you write a post on just this very topic...? Are you listening? HEY!"

And she was right!!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 05:07AM

Saucie is always right! Don't make her swat you with the rolled up newspaper again.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 07:27PM

I would drive one to Calgary Airport...you bet

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: May 03, 2021 08:07PM

We could hide them in the attic until the Nazi's went away.

Posted by: Adam the Warrior ( )
Date: May 05, 2021 08:54PM

I'd actually appoint you for this mission anon. You don't seem the type to be scared of church leaders while getting the boys out of there.

Date: May 05, 2021 04:36PM

I wonder if any of the bored Lethbridge mishies wast to escape. There should be an underground network to help them.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 05, 2021 08:47PM

I have heard of some cases where the mission president holds on to all of the passports for the missionaries in his mission. If you are in a foreign mission, there would be no legal way to leave the country without the mission president's permission.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 05, 2021 08:54PM

We all surrendered our passports in my mission.

But since Mexico bordered the US, there would have been no problem getting back into the USA without it.

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard tales about missionaries in that position who simply went to the nearest embassy or consulate and asked for a replacement. I don't know if modern technology makes that easier or harder now?

I suppose cautioning a missionary to take photographs of the front and first few pages of his or her passport would be a good idea.

Date: May 05, 2021 11:24PM

Slave labor

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 05, 2021 10:04PM

I've heard several different stories about missionaries in foreign countries. In one case, the mission president required all of the missionaries to show him their passports. Those who had stamps showing that they visited another country were sent home.

Someone I know had a Mountain Dew (a type of soft drink loaded with caffine) addiction before he went on his mission. He and his companion traveled several countries accross Europe to Germany and then on to an American military base there, where he was able to get several cans of Mountain Dew from a vending machine or commissary there. He never got caught or in trouble for that.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 06, 2021 12:44AM

azsteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've heard several different stories about
> missionaries in foreign countries. In one case,
> the mission president required all of the
> missionaries to show him their passports. Those
> who had stamps showing that they visited another
> country were sent home.

The (horrible) stories that I have heard indicated that MORmON missionaries in foreign countries do NOT have direct possession of their passport documents as they were required to turn them over to the mission pres./mission home (in order to maintain the confinement of the missionaries with in the country of their missionary assignment) for "safe" storage for the duration of their missions. ......MORmON missions SUCK !!!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 06, 2021 01:13AM

Our neighbor trotted over to our place with their son for a proud announcement. Their son is about to graduate from high school, and then go on a FOOL time MORmON mission .....to Rome, Italy.

They are so happy about what is about to happen. They are trying to be good people. They think that they are making a genuine contribution to the world..... They are really about to throw two prime years of their son's life into the toilet so that LDS Inc can jam their MORmON bird finger into the Catholic church's face right on the Roman Catholic church home turf for the wanton gratification of the CHEESY owners/ operators of the Book of MORmON (scam) church (SCAM).

This poor kid is so convinced that he is doing right and helping out MORmON Jesus with saving the world, while he really has NO clue what he is really doing. That saddens me to a certain large extent. The main consolation that I have over the matter is knowing that a MORmON mission and my genuine relationship with one of my converts was a my ticket OUT of the MORmON religion /cult. ......That result "only" took another 20 years of my life to arrive at. Sadly, from my own experience, I know that my chances of talking any sense into that kid......even from a very authoritative basis of first hand experience is nil, while the involved adults would be stunned and then outraged over such an attempt. I certainly hope that some well meaning Italians try to give that kid a real sense of perspective on the matter of what he is really doing as he represents the Book of MORmON scam for LDS Inc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q06THOusL30

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.