Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 01:19AM

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/essential-timeline-understanding-evolution-homo-sapiens-180976807/?

This is a great article that explains a lot more complex and fascinating narrative about our origins than any naïve fairy tale contained in scriptures.

"A recent study of human genomes in Papua New Guinea suggests that humans may have lived with and interbred with Denisovans there as recently as 15,000 years ago, though the claims are controversial. Many living Asian people inherited perhaps 3 to 5 percent of their DNA from the Denisovans.
On the Indonesian island of Flores, fossils evidence a curious and diminutive early human species nicknamed “hobbit.” Homo floresiensis appear to have been living until perhaps 50,000 years ago, but what happened to them is a mystery. They don’t appear to have any close relation to modern humans including the Rampasasa pygmy group, which lives in the same region today.
Neanderthals once stretched across Eurasia from Portugal and the British Isles to Siberia. As Homo sapiens became more prevalent across these areas the Neanderthals faded in their turn, being generally consigned to history by some 40,000 years ago. Some evidence suggests that a few die-hards might have held on in enclaves, like Gibraltar, until perhaps 29,000 years ago. Even today traces of them remain because modern humans carry Neanderthal DNA in their genome."

IOW, Anatomically Modern Humans, Homo Sapiens Sapiens, self described "Wise Wise Men" were interbreeding with two other species of humans 15,000-30,000 years ago, creating hybrid breeds of humans.

Europeans are a hybrid mix of Homo Sapiens Sapiens and Homo Neanderthalis. Asians and Melanesians are a hybrid mix of Homo Sapiens Sapiens, Homo Neanderthalis and Homo Denisovan. Africans are an earlier hybrid mix of Homo Sapiens Idaltu and other sub-species of humans, 16 of which lived in Africa, that we have fossil remains of. Some of which we only have DNA.
The big remaining mystery is why we were the last sub-species to remain.

"Despite the bits of genetic ancestry they contributed to living people, all of our close relatives eventually died out, leaving Homo sapiens as the only human species. Their extinctions add one more intriguing, perhaps unanswerable question to the story of our evolution—why were we the only humans to survive?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 12:24PM

https://www.verywellmind.com/whats-behind-different-types-of-unsolicited-advice-3144961

"Excitement
Other times, unsolicited advice comes from those who have found something that works for them, and they want to share it with the world. They see your situation as a perfect fit for this piece of wisdom that’s made a positive impact on their life. They may share because they wish someone had told them about it sooner.

It's also common for people who have faced the same challenges you're facing to offer solutions or advice, especially when it comes to things that have worked for them. As a result, they assume their solution will benefit you in the same way it did for them, and they cannot wait to share it with you."

I find this fascinating and just had to share it so I can help everyone else. Only here to help, that's all. If you find this irritating, remember, I'm only helping you!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 01:24PM

You aren't helping this double wise homo.

Date: May 04, 2021 01:58PM

One can only try....and then never ever stop, even when others plead with you to do so.

Date: May 04, 2021 04:06PM

A challenge is something possible and even maybe a bit improbable. This is a fool's errand.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 01:25PM

Damn! I misread the first sentence as "...lived with...Dinosaurs..."! That would have cool.

Alley Oop!!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 02:03PM

I have an entirely different perception
YOU ARE ALL GOING TO SCREAM AT ME BUT I still go with Sitchen's 6th and 7th tablet translations of the book of Enki.
He interjected his thoughts into his translations but he was one of the few who could translate cuneiform

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2021 02:03PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 02:28PM

Luckily, with The Cat standing up there with you in the police lineup, you look so totally innocent of any possible offenses!!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 02:29PM

It’s okay to be Homo Sapiens as long as you don’t act on it.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 02:30PM

And for heaven's sake, don't tell your spouse or children about it!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 04, 2021 02:32PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And for heaven's sake, don't tell your spouse or
> children about it!
Why NOT?

Date: May 04, 2021 02:39PM

Babylon is poking fun at the church. If a person reveals homosexuality to church leaders, s/he is told there is no problem as long as s/he does not act on those inclinations. It's terrible advice, but that's what the church says.

I was going a step further. When a person expresses skepticism about the church to a church leader, the leader will often say it's okay to harbor such doubts but not to share them with others--particularly family.

Just jokes.

Date: May 04, 2021 02:44PM

The Cat does start the best joke threads; you have to give him that!

Date: May 04, 2021 02:50PM

That is an astute observation, Canis Sapiens Sapiens.

Date: May 04, 2021 04:08PM

The natural man is an enemy of God's hareem? Wait, that doesn't sound right or wrong either.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 05, 2021 04:59AM

Wake me when you have some peer-reviewed sources rather than the Smithsonian magazine (and seriously, there's a copy on the table next to my work station).

And I suggest you re-read the article again:

>>"A recent study of human genomes in Papua New Guinea suggests that humans may have lived with and interbred with Denisovans there as recently as 15,000 years ago, though the claims are controversial.

The so-called "Denisovans" are known from from only a few remains, and there's no consensus on their taxonomic status (per Wiki). Similarly, your use of the words "hybrid" and "subspecies" is unwarranted; there are other possible explanations that would account for the presence of Neanderthal sequences in modern humans.

https://humanjourney.us/discovering-our-distant-ancestors-section/out-of-africa/

>>In 2016 studies were published by three separate teams of geneticists who collected and examined DNA from 787 people from hundreds of indigenous populations around the globe. They revealed that all non-Africans today trace their ancestry to a single population.

>>“What you can see from the DNA of all non Africans is that they all originate from one small band of Africans that came across the Red Sea. … If it was easy to get out of Africa we would have seen multiple African lineages in the DNA of non-Africans but that there was only one successful exit suggests it must have been very tough to get out. It was much drier and colder then.” says Dr. Stephen Oppenheimer, a geneticist at the school of anthropology at Oxford University, who has also led research on the genetic origins of humans outside Africa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2021 05:00AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: May 05, 2021 09:13AM

https://assets.amuniversal.com/f36f1c109c88012f2fe400163e41dd5b

(Don't get ruffled. Eez to make ha-ha joke.)

Date: May 05, 2021 10:55AM

Lol. Loved it, thanks.

Date: May 05, 2021 11:32AM

Haha, Dilbert is the GOAT!

Date: May 05, 2021 10:00PM

Date: May 05, 2021 11:56PM

Greatest
Of
All
Time

Date: May 06, 2021 12:49AM

Wow! That's an interesting acronym! I really enjoyed Dilbert; it has its appeal. But to be the pinnacle of achievement...?

I don't think I even ever thought of ghawd as GOAT...

Date: May 06, 2021 12:51AM

EOD is the goat.

And I don't mean that as an acronym.

Date: May 06, 2021 10:45AM

Goat also means your spouse is spending quality time less dressed with others.

Date: May 05, 2021 12:18PM

Finally! A post with a link to science that actually helps my recovery from.....well.....what ever it is that I'm recovering from these days :)

Date: May 06, 2021 10:49AM

Recovery from Atheism is a rough road in the direction of The Dao or Damascus. Whatever road takes you to see whatever and whomever you want. Sagan or sanguine things. It's all good for recovering from Atheism if that suite you.

Date: May 06, 2021 11:42AM

It's a shame that there are no internet discussion groups that cover the OP's areas of interest, where he could go to get some intellectual back and forth on these topics.

Unless he is posting here with the hope that his intellectual stock will rise?

Date: May 06, 2021 01:35PM

It takes a higher intellect to come up with witty, sarcastic replies than it does to paste a link and a snippet of an article found online.

Our work is never done!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.