Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: May 05, 2021 09:17PM

Does anyone know if a long term recipient of disability SS checks is eligible to receive stimulus checks? I am concerned about a young man who is disabled with mental issues who has turned all of his finances over to someone he claims to trust. He appears to be in desperate need of clothing but claims he is told there is not enough money to provide it. He knows nothing about how much his monthly check is nor how much is spent on his grocery bill.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 05, 2021 09:46PM

"Could I get the full $1,400 stimulus payment? Could it be more or less money?

"As part of President Joe Biden's American Rescue Plan, people who receive SSI and SSDI will once again automatically qualify to receive a third stimulus check, for up to $1,400, as they did for the first and second round of payments approved in March and December 2020.

"As in the first two rounds, those individuals were eligible so long as they had a Social Security number and weren't claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return -- and so long as their household income didn't exceed the threshold ($75,000 single, $112,500 head of household, $150,000 married)."

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/stimulus-checks-for-ssdi-and-ssi-recipients-12-things-to-know-about-your-payment-status/#:~:text=As%20part%20of%20President%20Joe,in%20March%20and%20December%202020.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: May 05, 2021 10:23PM

Thank you EOD. You confirm what I thought.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 06, 2021 12:32AM

EOD is correct (ear scratch for him). I recently got into this for a friend of my 92 year old friend. The person he is trusting is NOT worthy of that trust. He did get all those payments. That is enough to buy some clothes. It went right into the account that gets his direct deposits. You may need to help him get an advocate. Depending on where you are located, that can be through the city or county. Senior and disabled advocates seem to be one in the same so you can look both ways.

Thank you Kentish for looking out for someone that needs help. Do let us know how you get on :)

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 06, 2021 10:14AM

Susan, you describe a situation that I am seeing in this person's life. He has no family and relies on his "career" who is not directly related. He is on powerful medication for his mental condition and is incapable of taking care of things like checking and finance because he has learning issues. It is a difficult situation because I do not want to disrupt that part of the relationship that takes care of his shopping if everything is above board. I have asked him about receiving the various stimulus payments and he tells me he knows nothing about them. He knows nothing of his finances, not even how much he gets each month, nor how much is being spent on weekly food shopping.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 06, 2021 01:48PM

One had a stroke when he was born, drank paint thinner at 18 months (saved by milk the oldest brother poured down his throat learned in scouts), and he got hit by a pickup on his bike at age 5, in a coma for 2 weeks. He gets my dad's SS amount now.

My older brother had a hemorrhagic stroke at age 42. He is now 67. He also gets SSI.

They both got all the stimulus checks. We have family members monitoring their money.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 06, 2021 01:49PM

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 06, 2021 02:10PM

To my knowledge, most states and many jurisdictions (counties, cities, etc.) have Elder Financial Abuse offices (and the number of these is growing rapidly because of the need for them).

Google: Elder Financial Abuse [state], or Elder Financial Abuse [name of county or city], phone them and explain the situation. They all know their local counterparts who do the same work, but for a different demographic group.

It is likely that one or more of them will be able to direct you to the best resource for your friend's situation, especially since it appears that felonies are being committed.

You may have to try two or more before you find the right fit for your friend, but there should be help available in his area and--with the right phone numbers--it should be fairly easy to access.

If for any reason one of them does not work out, go to Option #2, and then #3, until you find the optimum source of help for him.

I wish both of you the very best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2021 02:14PM by Tevai.

Date: May 06, 2021 02:18PM

If "elder abuse" searches don't work for you in your neck of the woods, try to find an 'ombudsman' in the appropriate governance area.

If that fails, I'd be interested in kicking it around with you in terms of what might be done to ferret out the details you'd like to examine.

...if all else fails, we can get Gladys Lot involved...

Posted by: kentisdh ( )
Date: May 06, 2021 02:30PM

He is not in the elder category. I will see what I can find but do not want to create a situation where he ends up with no one if there is no case to answer. His life is devoid of helpers/friends as it is. Thanks for all the help.

Date: May 06, 2021 02:43PM

Then definitely look for an ombudsman in your local government and present the situation to him/her and hopefully, that individual can find a way to look into the matter.

If all else fails you in your personal efforts, see if a friendly desk officer at the appropriate police department has any ideas.

Heck, maybe -since federal money is involved- there is an office in the Social Security administration that checks into these situations?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 06, 2021 03:42PM

kentisdh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He is not in the elder category.

I know that.

What you are doing is two things simultaneously:

1) Finding the optimum source of help for him (whatever that may be in your jurisdiction)

2) Creating an inventory of contacts, which you can then use later if need be. (Keep track of everyone you talk to: the date and time you talked to them; "how" you talked to them--on the phone or in person; their phone number(s); a brief summary of what you said and what they said. I have found blank index cards work best for me in doing this.)

This unfolding "inventory" allows you to call Mary Smith or John Jones and say: "Alice Williams at [Name of municipality or whatever] Senior Legal Help (or whatever) suggested I call you." This gives you instant credibility, and tends to smooth out any initial awkwardness in the conversation because it suggests that you have been pre-vetted by that person.

You are also, likely, going to learn things from what they say that you previously didn't know, and you should jot these down on your index cards (or however you are building your "list"). If they say something pertinent you didn't know, write the facts on "their" index card and date the entry. Down the road, that might be the exact fact or suggestion you need, and you need to know when you learned it and from whom.

"Oil to your elbows!" (Which I was taught was an African blessing. I don't know if it actually is or not, but it certainly conveys feelings of alacrity and success.)

Thank you for caring about your friend.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 06, 2021 06:36PM

Yes to what EOD and Tevai said. Elder and disabled resources are two sides of the same coin. The ombudsman was helpful. Just tell them the same way you told us, that you are concerned and why. And that you know someone received the stimulus money on top of any regular payments. You don't have to file a formal complaint but let them know what he told you.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: May 07, 2021 04:15PM

I receive social security disability and I did receive the full $1400 stimulus. It would seem to me that whomever is handling this young man's finances is being dishonest, at best.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.