Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 10:27AM

Brigham, Nephi, Moroni, Ammon, Alma............

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 10:52AM

My father's first name was Alma. That was great while we lived in Utah, not so great when we moved away.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 11:25AM

Almost as bad, I picked Bible names for my kids. I wanted to be all traditional and religious and all at the time. It's embarrassing to think that influenced us back then.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 12:27PM

Wait, my sister is named Ruth. I don't know why, but it wasn't a religious reason in the least and certainly doesn't fit her. I didn't name my kids religious names. My husband's family didn't either, but his parents did name them odd names and his is the oddest. Boyfriend's family neither.

I worked with a gay guy at Sam's Club whose name was Ammon. He claimed to have never been mormon. Is Ammon in the bible? I'm not a scriptural scholar.

My grandfather's name was Romeo. His mother allowed the neighbor to name him as the neighbor couldn't have children. What a man he was! An absolutely wonderful person. I really lucked out in the grandparent category in every way.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 02:53PM

Ammon was a small nation east of the Jordan River back in ancient Israel times. It is probably better known in the intermountain west as a BoM character name, and the major suburb of Idaho Falls.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 02:37PM

My understanding in Utah, if you have more than 6 kids, one must be name Taylor. Sorry, it's the law.

Date: May 09, 2021 02:56PM

Nice thing about Taylor is it works for either gender, and if the child turns out to be non-binary, Taylor is just perfect.

Oh, and Parker is the hipper version of Taylor. It too is versatile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2021 02:58PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 03:21PM

If my name were Nephi Parker Taylor, I'd go with "Brother of Jerry" too.

Date: May 09, 2021 03:27PM

Talmadge Nephi Parker Taylor Bangerter Sorensen Huntsman.

Esq.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 06:39PM

He isn't from Utah. Long ago mormon relatives. Some well known names here in Utah besides Taylor, but yes, a lot of Taylors in the families I know.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 03:39PM

And then there is all those "oy" names they gave to women of my mom's generation LaVoy, Vanoy Annoy Lavon Lavey LaVoy -- I don't know where they all those names came from but it seems to be a Mormon thing.

My mother had a female cousin named Merlin.

There was an apostle named Marion.

Heber j. Grant named one of his daughters Frances Marian after two male apostles.

Don't know if he changed the spellings or what. She wrote a book called "Growing up Mormon" or "A Mormon childhood" or something. She left out all the good parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2021 06:35PM by loislane.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 11:04PM

loislane Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> There was an apostle named Marion.

John Wayne's birth name was "Marion Morrison."

In a movie, a (Marine, I think) recruit is teasing another about his name, "Francis."
"What's so funny?" asked Wayne's character
"It's a girl's name!"
"And what's yours?" Wayne asked.
"Marion,"

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: May 10, 2021 12:32PM

Actor John Wayne's real name is MARION Robert Morrison. Not mormon, but Marion is not a Mormon name.

An Uncle is Mahonri Kumenonhi.

An Aunt is Sarah Sweetheart. (Yes, really - gave her fits in school) Her brother is Abinidi Aha. Yes, Book of Mormon names.(He had problems with it as well) They lived in Utah but it was still a problem.

The two were glad their parents could not have more kids as the next was supposed to be named Helaman Himni. We all think their parents were nuts.

Alma is a normal name in other areas. Even the movie TOOTSIE names a Character Alma.

Date: May 09, 2021 03:54PM

If there is any South High School alumni here, I'm sure y'all remember Driving instructor Moroni Schwab, best driver's ed teacher since Mohonri-Moriancomor

Date: May 09, 2021 03:54PM

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 04:52PM

I have a twelve-year-old nephew named Helaman. He lives in Utah, so it's semi-OK (though still not great) for now. He may want to use his middle name if he ever moves out of The Beehive State.

Date: May 09, 2021 04:59PM

I can't believe your relatives would be so cruel, Antipus.

Date: May 09, 2021 07:32PM

It was my brother-in-;aw's idea, but my sister went along with it. It's OK, though, because the kid has a great middle name - Scott.

Date: May 10, 2021 02:08AM

P.S. Antipus is bad, but probably not as horrible as Amoron.

My paternal grandfather had a bit of a fetish for the name "Shiz" (I kid you not). At first he just lobbied for the name, but he eventually offered cash for any child stuck with the name. It had to be a first name. One of my aunts tried giving her kid "Shiz" as a middle name - which was, in and of itself, child abuse - and got nothing for it. By the time I was born, the reward was up to ten grand, but my parents mercifully believed that all the money in the world wasn't enough to compensate a kid for having to go through life with the name "Shiz."

Date: May 10, 2021 02:15AM

What do you want to bet that in 20 years' time people will be joking about all the young adults named "Rush" and "Tucker?"

I can imagine the particular Utah form: Nephi Tucker Sorensen, I baptize you in the name of . . .

Date: May 10, 2021 12:56PM

According to the Social Security Administration, the name "Rush" has hovered in the 20s the last five years. "Tucker" is a bit more common, raging from 1500 to the low 2000's. peaking at 2400 in 2014.

Rush means "living in or from the rushes;" Tucker was one who softened and shaped leather and textiles.

This site will give you name origins, and the frequency of use. In case you want to name your daughter "Quandra" or something.

https://www.mamanatural.com/baby-names/

Date: May 09, 2021 06:13PM

Actually, there are almost no female names in the BoM.

Ithink Nephi's mother was Sarai, and then there is Isabella the Harlot.

I don't think any mother is going to name her daughter Isabella the Harlot.

Which brings up another thought -- What if the Great and Abominable Whore referred to in the Book of Revelation had been rebranded the Great and Abominable Sex Worker?

Kinda puts a different spin on things.

Or if Isabella the Harlot had been referred to as Isabella the Sex Worker?

Just a couple of random thoughts.

Date: May 09, 2021 06:16PM

The BoM acts as if women are non-existent. It's unbelievably misogynistic.

Date: May 09, 2021 06:33PM

How true, how true.

Same could be said for Mormon society back in the day and back in this day.

As could be said for society at large, back in the day.

I sent for the Martin Harris bio, and thought I would pass along anything of interest I came across.

Martin Harris was a very generous husband. One way he wanted to show his wife his generosity was by deeding her a couple of hundred acres of some property he owned.

But the law of the land (literally of the LAND) would not let a man give property to his wife.

So good old generous MH gave the land to his wife's brother, and the BROTHER gave the land to his sister a/k/a Mrs. Harris.

See there was no law that said a BROTHER couldn't give land to his sister, unless, of course. he was married to her.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 07:51PM

Why would men care about the names of the vessels they own? I mean all they are for is screwing, cooking and impregnating. (Ugh!)

Date: May 09, 2021 08:27PM

Hence the importance of recognizing women once a year not for anything outside the home but for the fulfillment of their domestic and familial duties. It reinforces the traditional roles.

Throw the dog a bone.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: May 10, 2021 12:35PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The BoM acts as if women are non-existent. It's
> unbelievably misogynistic.

Not to mention that every birth must have been Quintuplets or bigger to support such a quick population explosion in the new world.

Date: May 10, 2021 05:10PM

Yes, there is that too.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 08:05PM

Thank gawd my parents chose good English/Scottish names.

Date: May 09, 2021 11:05PM

Date: May 10, 2021 02:13PM

Yeah they could named me Alma or Zealand!

Posted by: Brother Bacon Sandwich ( )
Date: May 10, 2021 10:13AM

My uber tbm cousin named all ten of her/their kids after GAs. Hunter, Monson, etc. Adding lyn or some such for girl names. I think it was her last pregnancy that was twins, and I think they knew they were girls. My little joke was that they should name them Gordlyn and Hinklyn.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: May 10, 2021 10:28AM

Back in the day, one of the families in my ward had a son named Jared. When the mother gave birth to twin boys later, they gave them the middle names of Mahonri and Moriancumer. They were at least kind enough to give them normal and slightly trendy first names, so that they wouldn't have problems in school.

Tyson

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 10, 2021 05:07PM

My oldest brother and I are named after biblical friends, but both are common names and were never associated with the bible.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 10, 2021 05:56PM

A former bishop of ours named a son Teancum (Tecumseh, IRL). Of course, he has to explain his name constantly, and is now out of the church. That leads me to ask the following: Who in their right mind would name a child Teancum??!!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 10, 2021 06:06PM

Teancum....sounds like a British orgy with crumpets at 4:00 in the afternoon.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: May 12, 2021 10:56PM

What I hate most are the names bestowed by the church on young missionaries: "elder" and "sister." Those become de facto given names.

In my case, it was worse: anziano, "the old one."

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 12:29AM

Anyone ever see someone named after a Book of Mormon bad guy name like "Laban" or "Lamen"?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 06:45PM

I’ll never forget being in Kinkos in Provo years ago and this lady was taking forever at the counter and her kids were running around wild and knocking things over and everyone in line had smoke coming out their ears. One guy grabbed one of them and told him to go stand by his mother and Mother Karen shot him a bitch face. They kept running.

Finally Karen hollered at them and said “Lehi! Nephi! Get over here!” A guy in line then added, “Laman! Lemuel! Do what your mother says!” Everyone busted a gut. Well, except Karen. Only in Utah Valley would everyone get that.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 08:05PM

So glad I didn't get stuck with one.

Date: May 18, 2021 02:41PM

Dad had family members named Alma and Lorenzo and his middle name was Heber...which he hated.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.