Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 02:46PM

Mothers:
No mention thereof
zero
zilch
nada
nowhere
no how
Not even a flower for the mothers
It demonstrates the total disrespect that is actually present

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2021 02:31PM by thedesertrat1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 04:02PM

I want to make sure I understand...

Are you saying that you went to church with family and that during the however-long-the-block-happened-to-be, the fact that today is, in America, Mother's Day was NEVER mentioned?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 06:42PM

It's a lovely warm sunny May day here in Beautiful British Columbia.

My 2nd Mother's Day without my lovely mum.

We would have been out and about today in all the little shops and Mom's favourite restaurant on the Fraser River for fish & chips (and a pint of the best for me).

I definitely would not be "celebrating" (non)-Mother's Day in a Mormon Church (thank God, if I may - or who/whatever).

As it is, I'm here on my own due to a broken-down car and, oh yeah, a global pandemic.

Wah.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 06:50PM

Your Mum truly was a lovely lady. I will be thinking of her too. We got a pie from the great place and I made a card for M.

{Hugz}

Date: May 09, 2021 07:00PM

Thanks Sus. Very nice of you to say.

Made me cry. (I got through the day OK until just now).

I'm in the middle of (finally) clearing out most of her things. It's tough. Very tough.

It's times like this when it's nice to think that life goes on. Somewhere. Sometime.

It seems farfetched to many, I know. But so does life itself!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 10, 2021 04:26PM

It took me years to fully address all of my mother's things. I was thinking about my mom yesterday, and remembering how we used to spend very enjoyable time together on Mother's Day picking out her flowering plants for her pots (my gift to her.) I remembered the good times we had together. And that led me to the conclusion that the most important thing is to enjoy your time with your loved ones for as long as you have them.

I'm glad that you were remembering enjoyable days with your mom.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 11, 2021 01:05AM

There is no time table for things like that. My FIL wanted NOTHING moved or removed when his wife died. I think I will be similar to that. Mom and I had very little in common but we got along great. That was especially nice for my hubby because she detested his first wife (as did his Dad). I wish I had the opportunity to go through my GAunt's things myself but people were trying to spare me pain and it was a bit of a circus. I never had a good relationship with my BatCrapCrazy Grandmother and my Mother and I have had a strained relationship for 35 years and no contact for the last 25. I am very lucky that over 20 years a neighbor has become a mother figure to me and to hubby. She is 92 and every day is a gift. If you stay open, you never know what will happen. Your Mums are irreplaceable but you may find someone to add to your lives. I truly hope that for you.

Date: May 10, 2021 02:33PM

Y E S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
REPLY to elderdog

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2021 02:35PM by thedesertrat1.

Date: May 14, 2021 01:36PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I want to make sure I understand...
>
> Are you saying that you went to church with family
> and that during the
> however-long-the-block-happened-to-be, the fact
> that today is, in America, Mother's Day was NEVER
> mentioned?
to the best of my recollection NO IT WAS NOT MENTIONED

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 03:01PM

So this speaks to that ward being 100% consistent! They treat all 52 Sundays exactly the same.

Because as far as we know, there was no Mothers Day in the Pre-existence, no mention of Mothers Day in the scriptures, and no mention of plans to celebrate Mothers Day during the millennium or throughout all the Eternities.

Which makes sense, what with Fathers Day being celebrated every day in the CK.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 06:43PM

Hate mother's day. I've been sick, so I've been watching VEEP all day as my son told me I should. The neighbor kids made me cookies.

I have made sure my kids know to pretend mother's day is not to be celebrated here. I see it as a made up day like Valentine's Day. I usually do something for my siblings on mother's day and my kids and not the other way around. I'll do something for my siblings later in the week and change the flowers on my parents' grave. I'm the family member "assigned" to change the flowers as my oldest brother likes what I put on the grave better than what anyone else does. He became disabled at 42 with a brain hemorrhage and so we cater to him, so I do the decorating and I love doing it.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 08:59PM

I hate it, too.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 10:46PM

4th Mother's Day since my wife passed and almost 25 years mom has been gone. Miss them.

Date: May 09, 2021 11:00PM

Always LR.

Cheers.

Date: May 12, 2021 12:02AM

Thanks...I'm doing ok. Golden memories of mother's days past

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: May 10, 2021 04:10PM

Who needs the church to tell them whether or not they are appreciated as a mother? If she is half-way decent (not perfect), her kids do it for her. At least, that is how it works in my wonderful family. (Happily, even including a box of See's candy!)

Date: June 04, 2021 10:20AM

pollythinks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who needs the church to tell them whether or not
> they are appreciated as a mother? If she is
> half-way decent (not perfect), her kids do it for
> her. At least, that is how it works in my
> wonderful family. (Happily, even including a box
> of See's candy!)

It is not a question of Who needs the church to tell them whether or not
> they are appreciated as a mother?

It is a matter of showing respect for at least one day a year.
The "church" has no respect for anything but itself

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 11, 2021 12:04AM

Mormonism is so dull, so unnatural, so inconsiderate AS TO WHAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT.

Historically, at MOST churches in America (Mormonism is more cult than "church", but anyway) Men and Boys, especially, greet and welcome the women (as well as attractive ladies and girls/ young women) - perhaps more so than usual on MD - and there may be flowers, "special" speeches/ preaches, women calling themselves to speak, and to mingle, without bother, until they are done, mothers inviting themself to tell a true - or fictitious, as long as it was believable, exciting, or good - completely UNrelated to LDS) story/ a Mormon Mother of a Moment (MMM), MAYBE EVEN A FEAST etc., ...

But NO! No reason to celebrate or give thanks and praise. Like any time you get together. Why not?

If MORMONDUMB itself didn't make the members SO Dull and Listless, so BUSY [with busy work], they Could Be Themselves... And considering using AT LEAST a little free-agency, maybe even act naturally and normally! Just this once!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2021 10:41PM by moremany.

Date: May 11, 2021 12:40AM

When I was a kid (1950s to 1960s) our ward always made a big deal of mothers day.

Posted by: tractingcookies ( )
Date: May 11, 2021 08:31PM

Heavenly mothers.

Date: May 12, 2021 04:11AM

Earthly mothers
(Heaven is later)

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: May 12, 2021 09:17AM

Big day for me. It was on Mother's Day eons ago that I attended a "court" to extricate myself from Mormonism, the only way I knew back then. I had a wonderful time with a captive audience.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 12, 2021 10:55AM

You were reborn.

Date: May 12, 2021 12:12PM

1990'Seattle, Hare Krishna, some wonderful folks had on their automobile, a bumper sticker: Born Again and Again and Again...

Born Again Christians might not get it. I got it. Want it? Get it? Good!

Are we re: In Car Nation?

NOW is the time to live!
For tomorrow may not come
Or you may go tomorrow
So LIVE today...

Don't wait to die
Or get reincarnated

Born Again, and again and again... lol

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: June 03, 2021 11:34PM

I call it stripping warrior Sunday. You didn't even get that story?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.